PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bulge Buster Question

jlh
05-19-2016, 10:43 PM
I received my bulge buster, today, that I had ordered earlier in the week. Tomorrow, I plan to prep some once-fired, 10mm brass for reloading. Should I run them through my RCBS sizer first, and see if they "gauge," and then run them through the bulge buster, only if they don't "gauge?".....or.....should I run then through the bulge buster first?

Artful
05-19-2016, 11:27 PM
If it was me - I'd run them all thru the bulge buster.

VHoward
05-19-2016, 11:34 PM
I would only run them through the bulge buster if they did not fit in the case checker. No need to overwork brass that does not need it.

flyingmonkey35
05-19-2016, 11:43 PM
1 lube the case good.

The Lee bulge buster is just ruining the case threw a Lee factory crimp die.

That being said once threw it the case is now resized.

For 40/10mm. Your trying to get rid of the glock bulge.

I run it all threw it first. Then deprime. And back into the tumbler for 30 mins to take the extra lube off.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Seeker
05-20-2016, 06:13 AM
I've run thousands of aquired .40 cases through my bulge buster. Deprime, clean, size and then they all go through the bulge buster. No lube needed. Clean cases/carbide dies...why waste lube and time?

flashhole
05-20-2016, 07:27 AM
I run all mine through the Bulge Buster for uniformity. It does not hurt to apply a little lube on the carbide ring in the die every once in awhile. I favor Imperial Die Sizing Wax. Running them through the standard sizing die after running them through the bulge buster does not (in my opinion) overwork the brass.

dverna
05-20-2016, 08:05 AM
I plan on running all my brass through the bulge buster once I get it. Then load them on the Dillon. It is a waste of time to check each case first IMHO.

garym1a2
05-21-2016, 03:14 PM
I do lots thru budge buster in 40, any cases hard to push I will scrap.

gloob
05-22-2016, 05:13 AM
The Lee bulge buster is just ruining the case threw a Lee factory crimp die.

That being said once threw it the case is now resized.

To be clear, the bulge buster doesn't fully size a case. It isn't small enough in diameter to necessarily do a proper job on the top 3/4 of the case. You still need to size them with the regular sizing die. Of course if your bullets and chamber are big enough, it may be fine, I suppose.

If it is once-fired by someone else, then I would probably go ahead and do them all. It's only slightly more of a pain than accurately measuring every single case of unknown brass! I don't know if it makes a difference bulge busting them first, or sizing them first. I have always sized them first.

After fired in my own guns, I'd check them out and if they're ok, put the bulge buster away. You shouldn't need it for your own brass. Reloading bulged cases multiple times is not a play I'd run, myself.