PDA

View Full Version : new Lee mold - break in?

LouNC
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Is there any break-in or "seasoning" required? I'm a novice and I've been using only borrowed, well-used equipment up to this point.

I just bought a new Lee mold and was planning to clean it (degrease), smoke it with a butane lighter, and start casting. Then I had second thoughts and figured I should check with the experts first.

Thanks,
Lou

Cloudpeak
05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Is there any break-in or "seasoning" required? I'm a novice and I've been using only borrowed, well-used equipment up to this point.

I just bought a new Lee mold and was planning to clean it (degrease), smoke it with a butane lighter, and start casting. Then I had second thoughts and figured I should check with the experts first.

Thanks,
Lou

I'd cast with the mold, first. You might get lucky like I did on my last Lee 6 cavity mold (105 gr SWC .358) and it will drop perfect bullets right off the bat.

Cloudpeak

Ricochet
05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Usually they do, even when I forget to wipe out the cavities as I did with that new 9mm mould the other night. The one I lubed with anti-seize.

454PB
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I used to smoke my moulds, but found that it is not required. If a mould is troublesome, there is a reason. Smoking it is like taking an aspirin for sore muscles, it helps for a while. Clean your new mould mould thoroughly with a good degreaser, I like Gun Scrubber, but brake cleaner will work. Preheat it well and see how it casts.

SHOOTER IN EXILE
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
After many years using a lot of cast bullets someone gave me as payment of a debt, around 6000 bullets for 357 mag, 9.mm and 45 ACP. I decided to go back to casting my own. On a recent trip to Miami I got moulds for the mentioned calibers and one for 7mm Mauser. Over the years I had lost the touch with the procedure, lacking a lead melting pot I use an ordinary iron pot over a gas stove. For a couple of month of try and error I couldn't get a single perfect or near perfect bullet from the 7mm mould. Some members on this forum suggested that I should break in the moulds, others to open a bit the venting channels and others that the lead was not hot enough. I felt more comfortable with the last opinion, that is more heat. I put on the stove a 5 millimeter thick steel plate covering half of the flame leaving enough space for the mould and a small support for the handle. When I reckoned that lead and mould were hot enough, I poured the first casting; on the third or fourth casting, the bullets started coming out shiny, well filled and uniform. Later when I observed that they were coming out frosted I removed the mould from the plate and let it cool for a few minutes and then resumed the casting with good results.
To check out if it was due to temperature or breaking in of the moulds. I turned to the 357 mould. Brand new, unused and clean. The bullets came out as perfect as those from the 7mm mould that had been heated and reheated for months.
So with due respect to everyone, I believe that this breaking in theory lacks a scientific base; if not I welcome explanations on the effect it has on moulds.
A necessary recomendation: Subjecting the mould to direct flame or allowing it to become extremely hot would ruin it because that composition and structure of the steel alters at very high temperatures. The common sense rule is that below the right temperature, you'll get wrinkled bullets. Above the right temperature they will be frosty. The margin between one and other condition is wide.
Breaking in, as far as I believe applies to some motor engines and new shoes.

GabbyM
05-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Yep, I've a $10 electric hot plate I set my moulds on to preheat. Low setting for 15 or 20 minutes. Right on the coils.

Trader Vic
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm new at casting but I've learned a lot on this forum. I use only Lee molds & have not had a bit of trouble with them. No break in, I boil them for a few minutes & then swab them down with alcohol after they have cooled. Then I spray them with Frankford Drop Out, this is a great product, from Midway USA. A couple of sprays with this aerosol can & you are on your way, bullets fall right out of the mold. I've done 44s, 38s, 357s. 9mms & 45acp, don't reject too many after the mold gets up to temp. Usually it's in the first 5 or 6 pours in a 6 cavity mold, then it's only one or two of the cavities the rest are fine. Maybe I've just been lucky but it sure has added a new way to enjoy my favorite shooting sports. Pay close attention to what these Guys say here & you will gain new knowledge every day. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER