PDA

View Full Version : W857 and 257 Roberts

Harter66
05-18-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure this fits here but bear with me anyway.

Justification, very soft 96' Mauser.

I found a load with a Serria 100 grain game king that shoots great , "it's so easy a cave man can do it" . Now I have NOE 260-120 FP and an alloy that has worked well for full power 6.8 Remington SPCII and nominal loads in 222 and 223 while I have no pressure gear I'm sure that the loads are in the mid to high 40 kpsi range and a testament "why didn't I use gas checks years ago....
Back on track .
I've had good results with slow for load powders in reaching best velocities and keeping consistency. The rifle in question is a 95 Mauser and best held under 40 kpsi , in other words perfect for cast mostly . I have data for both H and IMR 4831 and 4350 with some on hand but I also have some W857 that is said to be compatible with H1000 Data . There isn't ,in any of my books, any H1000 data for 257 Roberts but there is for 7x57 ,6.5x55 and 6mm Remington for 168,140 and 100/105 gr jackets . This to me would suggest that if the larger and smaller bore sisters work ,and come in in the mid to upper 40s with jacketed ,then cast should be ok in a middle bore in more or less the same case.
I would feel better if someone had been down this road .....or a parallel side street ,than just being out rooting around with crossed fingers .
The cast bullet hand book doesn't really offer any help as the 4895 to Unique loads offered are held to 1900 fps. It hurts to think about 14 gr of Unique in anything after so many loads of 3-9.5 in pistols besides doubles ,SEE ,myth and the real possibility of bolt set back .
Guidance ,suggestions , slap to the back of the head are all appreciated at this juncture.

I'm not gunning for warp speed just a full case ,minimal ash low pressures and if I get 2500 ,yeah me 2200 will leave me just tickled