PDA

View Full Version : Kahr CW40

chickenstripe
05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
OK, figured I'd throw a post out here about the "new to me" Kahr CW40. I couldn't find much in the way of real world reviews here or on the internet.

I've been considering the purchase of a new CCW and had been looking at the S&W airweights fairly hard. Not to stir the pot, but I'm not that exstatic about the 38 special cartridge for when the chips are down, but I would accept it as a minimum, and the snubbies weight, reliability, and concealability are major plusses.

Went into a gun shop that I seldom frequent and saw the used CW40.... I can easily get on board with the 40 S&W, after looking the firearm over it appeared to be unfired, but it was taken on trade, so it was being sold as used.

I always take a day to "sleep on it" before a purchase like this.... so I perused the internet forums and reviews, and found few reviews and the ones that I did find were good-to-lackluster. It wasn't anyones favorite.

Went back the next day, talked the salesman down a bit (from the more than fair price) and it followed me home with a few boxes of factory ammo.

Took it to the range yesterday..... Accuracy is outstanding for this "tool". When I do my part I can get a 6-shot (full mag) cluster at 15yds. The loaded carry weight is outstanding (easily hidden in a cargo pocket without too much printing and barely noticeable sag). Apparent recoil is less than my wifes P-9 kahr, and another plus is that she can use it without a learning curve. (Side note: The rounds chronoed a 165gr bullet at 1000fps)

So IMHO this is a no frills, 6+1 capacity, light, accurate, reliable (200rds so far with no FTF or FTE and I tried), CCW (tool) worth a look..... even though it has a tupperware frame.

And the barrel has standard rifling (the P-9 has polygonal) good for cast boolits!

Anyone have any comment on the kahrs?

Three44s
05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
They one of the few bottom feeders that turn my head!

I don't own one but I liked the one I fired.

Three 44s

bobthenailer
05-14-2008, 07:16 PM
my shooting friend has 2 a 9 and a 40 excellent, he love them ! i shot them both and i was also impressed with the accuracy handleing quality and the trigger pull!

Dave Berryhill
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
All in all, I've heard pretty good things and have thought about buying a Kahr for myself. The feedback that I've gotten is that that some work just fine and some don't (and you tend to find out right away which category yours falls into). The biggest complaint that I've heard about Kahrs in general is that the edges of the slide stop were razor sharp but I think that Kahr has addressed that already.

If it were mine I'd probably put a few hundred more rounds through it before I felt comfortable carrying it for self-defense but it sounds good so far.

chickenstripe
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree with the extended break-in, after a few more hundred rounds its time to test some HP ammo for reliability....