PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Auction Company in June

AbitNutz
05-18-2016, 04:14 PM
I received an email that Rock Island Auction Company about their June regional auction. After looking through the on-line catalog I decided to go. I'm stunned over the number of guns going to auction. It's over three days...

Has anyone ever gone to one of their auctions? I'm sure there will be the typical auction loonies that always bid more than anyone can believe but perhaps there's a thing or five that I can get.

smokeywolf
05-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Always kinda wanted a "1 of 1000" model '76 Winchester.:razz:

AbitNutz
05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't that be something...owning one of those. I would expect that if you through a washer with a postage stamp covering it in the air, I could shoot a hole right through it with one of those. Just like Jimmy Stewart did in "Winchester 76". At least I used to dream I could when I was a kid and saw that movie.

This auction groups guns in lots. Typically the estimated price runs from $1000.00 to $2500.00 per lot. It sounds expensive but often there may be half a dozen rifles/handguns in the lot. It looks like they try to group firearms together that are sort of alike. I didn't see anything like a Colt SAA and an FN-49 in the same lot. The items seem to be related.

GONRA
05-18-2016, 06:45 PM
GONRA wonders - has anbody on this site ever contracted with Rock Island Auction Company
to auction off their Guns/etc. ???

JWT
05-18-2016, 09:16 PM
I have attended several in person and even more over the phone. The regional auctions have so may guns that they are bundles into groups so the auction doesn't last for 3 weeks. Problem is, if you want a particular gun you have to buy several others with it. Delivery charges are terrible.

The premier auctions are amazing. I have seen the Gatling guns Custer left behind, Hoover's service revolver, Hitler's hunting drilling, and a lot of extremely rare guns.

smokeywolf
05-18-2016, 11:14 PM
I think the three premier auction companies are RIA, Leroy Merz and Sotheby's.

Since my modest little collection was lost in the deepest part of the lake when my boat capsized, I'll never have need to auction off any guns.

square butte
05-19-2016, 07:45 AM
No Bore Descriptions in the Rock Island Auction item descriptions. Not going to bid on anything without that.

ranger1962
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
I have bought from them and they are great to deal with.
they list the condition of the guns and if they have bad bores it will be noted
everything I have bought from them has been in better condition than listed.
I bid online and enjoy from the comfort of my easy chair.

AbitNutz
05-19-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm going in person and they let you handle and examine the guns all day Thursday as well as the morning before that days auction begins. I'll have a bore light as well as a price guide with me. I have identified several lots I'm interested in so I'll have my research on those and the ability to research anything else I happen to see.

The thing I have to be mindful of is the additional charges beyond the hammer price, buyers premium, boxing and shipping charges.

aephilli822
05-28-2016, 02:43 AM
The thing I have to be mindful of is the additional charges beyond the hammer price, buyers premium, boxing and shipping charges.
Just what is buyers premium?

StratsMan
05-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Just what is buyers premium?

If it's the same as car auctions, then the buyer pays a commission to the auction company based on the price when the hammer falls... so you pay "hammer + 10%" (percentage is example only: I have no idea what RIA charges...)

Jedman
05-29-2016, 01:49 PM
I have a Whitney 18 ga. rolling block shotgun that I was going to have them auction for me until I found out what there premiums were. They charge the seller 20% plus the buyer 20% of the selling price. I decided the are no guns including mine that are worth that much for them to sell.
They have contacted me twice now since I told them there fees were to high.

Jedman

AbitNutz
05-30-2016, 12:31 PM
I managed to get two guns and am waiting on delivery...a USFA SAA. It's in the serial number range that was built entirely in Hartford under the the "Blue Dome". The 2nd I got was a Freedom Arms Model 83 in 454 Casull. I always wanted one of those...both, even with shipping, the buyers premium and my local gunshops transfer fees, were more than reasonably priced. I didn't have to pay sales tax, so that always helps.

This was an Internet only auction but I guess that was just for some us as there were bids from the floor. I emailed them that I wanted to be called live when the lots I was interested in cam up. It went like clockwork.

As in every auction, I'm stunned at stuff I wouldn't own, let alone buy, went for stupid money. Others went reasonably and some were a steel.

I'm going to the one in June...so I'll have a first hand experience. It's a much bigger auction that the one on May 26th.

smokeywolf
05-30-2016, 04:34 PM
Although the 40% that the auction house is squeezing out of the seller-buyer is a bit greedy, the LGS around me want 30-35% for a consignment deal.

JWT
05-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Congratulations AbitNutz. Their auctions are fun and you can occasionally get a great deal. I got my Marlin 336 in 35Rem with a scope for $175 a while back. No one was biding so lucky me. Are you going to the regional auction on June 24? Lots of interesting stuff in that catalog.

AbitNutz
06-03-2016, 05:29 AM
I received the two pistols I won at RIA yesterday. I was shocked how fast they shipped them out. They originally said it would be 7-14 days. It was like 2 days. Anyway, just like "ranger1962" has said...that everything he has bought from them has been in better condition than listed...he was right. The two guns are in OUTSTANDING condition. Obviously shot but that's about it.

I bought a USFA SAA in 38 spl. It came in its original box with all the paperwork and is in wonderful condition, not a mark on it.

The 2nd was a Freedom ARM Model 83 in 454 Casull. No box, no papers...but also in wonderful condition. I never thought I'd be able to own one of these...

As a side note: If you've handled a F/A revolver you'll know what I'm talking about. It's like it was made of tungsten...it is DENSE. For its size, it seems like it is heavier that any gun I've handled. I know it sounds crazy but it is like a monolithic piece of D/P. It locks up like no other revolver I've ever owned. Saying it locks up like a bank vault is an under estimation. It makes my Ruger Blackhawk seem sloppy...and mine is not sloppy. I have heard said that F/A is the finest revolver made...so far as my experience can judge...it absolutely, without question is.

I can't say how happy my experience with Rock Island Auctions has been...I am totally satisfied with the procedure, the people, the experience, the price and the pieces I bought.

Pictures coming soon!!!

RustyReel
06-03-2016, 07:13 AM
AbitNutz, can you share with us the packing and shipping charge. I realize it will vary based on size of package and distance but it will give me/us an idea of what to expect. Thanks, and congrats on the wins!

Geezer in NH
06-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Just what is buyers premium?Up to 17% of hammer price. DO not buy at an auction until you learn how you will spend more than the item is worth. Trust me I bought 100's of thousands of dollars worth of firearms at auction when I had a shop and still got had every now and then.

AbitNutz
06-05-2016, 12:10 PM
AbitNutz, can you share with us the packing and shipping charge. I realize it will vary based on size of package and distance but it will give me/us an idea of what to expect. Thanks, and congrats on the wins!

They charged a 15% buyers premium, which is the lowest around...and that was on a credit card. I think it's very fair considering I didn't have to pay sales tax or an additional charge for a CC. The cost to package and send two pistols from Illinois/Iowa are to SW Ohio with shipping and insurance was $55.00 for 2nd day delivery. Again, considering they had to have people package them, not a hateful charge.

I had a very good experience. I'm very satisfied with what I paid for the two pistols, the people I dealt with while buying/bidding on them and on how fast I received them. I was also extremely happy with the condition of the two pistols. While in need of a real cleaning, their condition is better than what I expected.

cuzinbruce
06-05-2016, 02:53 PM
I have bought a number of guns from them, using the catalog, not attending in person. They have always been straight with me. The final prices can be pretty high sometimes. The lots get pretty big too. NJ has a one handgun a month law, so if what I want is part of a lot of 6 or 10, it gets inconvenient. I think the lots are all from the same consignor. If they mixed them up, how would they decide which consignor gets what? But I was quite happy with the guns I bought.
I have bought from other auction houses with far worse results.