PDA

View Full Version : Lyman "Ammo Checker" Block

jlh
05-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Has anyone used one of these for handgun? It will check multiple calibers, and is "priced-right," over individual, conventional, max-length case gauges. Price is around $30, while individual case gauges are $20 each. How does the block differ from the gauges?

Thank you.

L Erie Caster
05-19-2016, 04:08 AM
I am interested in what others have to say. I was thinking of buying one myself. :popcorn:

koehlerrk
05-19-2016, 05:48 AM
I bought one of these a few months ago. Having used it a bit, here's my good/bad list and any future concerns.

The good: its big and bright orange, makes it easy to spot where I last sat it down. Being aluminum, rusting isn't a concern. It handles 8 different rounds. The check cavities that I've used are very accurately sized, if it fits in the block, it will fit in the gun.

The bad: aluminum may not hold up over time like steel. It's kind of clunky to hold vs a single size checker. Some of the shorter rounds like a 380, well, if the round sticks in the cavity, you can't push it out with a fingertip. Also, you lose the OAL check.

So, I haven't yet sold off my steel checkers yet, even though they are now redundant. I'm really wishing Lyman had made it half its size, with four cavities in a square. That would be a bit easier to hold. Time will tell how well it holds up, but after several hundred rounds the anodizing doesn't even show a scratch. With all that said, it is a convenient way to check ammo, which is something I think everyone should do.

rda72927
05-19-2016, 09:45 AM
I've had the EGW brand checkers for quite a while. It looks like the Lyman is made VERY much like the EGW. That being the case, I like my EGW checkers much more than any of others that I have owned. I feel the a checker that is made with a chamber reamer is the only way to check your sized case's and your completed rounds. I have been using the 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum type of checker for many years. First one I purchased was for 9mm and couldn't count the thousands of rounds I've used it on.

farmersamm
05-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Or you could go the cheap route............

Take about a handful of your first completed rounds. Put each one in the chamber in your gun. If they don't drop in absolutely freely, then push them in with your finger. Should push with your finger anyways......just to see if they DO require effort to seat.

If they don't seat without a bit of extra effort, you have a problem. If they just require a gentle push, then put a pencil in the muzzle, and see how hard it is to push the bullet back out of the chamber. If there's little effort required, you're good to go. Finally fill the magazine, and rack all the rounds thru the gun. Check for marks on the bullet to make sure you haven't contacted the lands (highly unlikely if you measure your OAL when setting your seating die up)

About the only problems I encounter with 45ACP, and 9MM, are when the taper crimp needs to be a little tighter. Or, when on a 9MM case, the expander die has bulged the case a bit, and seating the bullet makes it worse.

Save the $30, and go out and buy some lead :D

Yeah, I'm being a little over simplistic.......but can't see the reason for reloading except for the cost savings. Well, actually, I'd probably never buy anything I could make myself:grin: For your pocket, purse, drawer, truck, etc. piece....just do the same for the stuff you keep in it. Can't really see checking every round otherwise. The range stuff isn't that critical. One bad feed does not a bad day make.

Any day above ground is a good day

dudel
05-19-2016, 10:27 AM
One bad feed does not a bad day make.

It does in competition. A bad feed can ruin your round. Your only hope is that the rest of the competitors didn't check their ammo.

mdi
05-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Sounds like it may be a useful tool (for some). When I started reloading 45 ACP several years ago, I bought a Wilson case gauge. I think I used it twice. I now use the barrels of the guns I'm making ammo for to check chambering (Plunk Test), and for a whole lot of 45 ACP and who knows how many 9mm this method has worked as good as, or in my mind better than a gauge.

Mytmousemalibu
05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
I have one of these, the Pistol version. I really like the thing! It's very value minded considering what individual gauges cost. Nice tool, looks nice on the bench too!

rodsvet
05-21-2016, 01:40 AM
I just use the barrels to check the rounds on pistols. But the EGW seven hole is what I use for 5.56. I deprime, size, swage and then tumble with SS pins. Then I check each piece of brass in the EGW. I find that about 5% have the rim 2-3 thousands to large to plunk into and then fall out of the checker. I check all rounds after loading the same way. It helps me catch upside down primers the the Dillon 650 primer system does 1% of the time and insures that all round function perfectly. Rod