PDA

View Full Version : Maybe some tin there?

Mike W1
05-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Recently remelted a LOT of old bullets I'd cast over the years along with a bunch of old Telco sheath.

Anyhow I had a fair amount of dross left when I got done so wondering how much metal was in it I heated it up today. Interesting.

6.20 lbs of dross yielded 2.37 lbs crud and 3.8 lbs of metal. Dross was basically powder as it was likely mostly unburnt bullet lube from those old bullets.

A comparison of a ingot of bullet alloy weighed 15.3 oz while a similar ingot of the reclaimed metal weighed 13.3 oz.

Suppose there's quite a bit of tin in those new ingots?

bruce381
05-17-2016, 10:11 PM
send a lb to BNE on this forum and he will test it for you, but yeah maybe mostly tin

fryboy
05-17-2016, 11:02 PM
Both sb and sn are lighter than lead so either or both

Mike W1
05-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Don't really care just what it is, was just surprised there was that much metal there. Have had him XRF some stuff awhile back for me and still think it's generous of him to do it. I'd expect it might just be tin as a lot of those old bullets were made with some generous doses of Telco wiping solder.

bangerjim
05-18-2016, 12:17 AM
can you say FLUX? Pine sawdust.

That will but the Sn back in your re-melt pot.

Beewax for casting pot to REDUCE the Sn back in.

banger

runfiverun
05-18-2016, 01:39 AM
Mike I do pretty much the same thing.
I just sluff off the stuff get the good alloy and move along.
when I get enough I throw it all in a pot and work it over getting what I can back out of it.
I generally pour this stuff into tiny little ingots of about 1/8th lb each and throw one of them in the casting pot every now and then.