PDA

View Full Version : 300 savage to 7mm dies

nekshot
05-17-2016, 05:04 PM
I thought I had a set of rcbs 300 savage dies and I shoved a 308 case thru it and it sizes perfect case dimensions but with a 7mm neck. The seating die also is for a 7mm in the neck. I am not familiar with this wildcat and the dies have no markings other than RCBS 300 savage. I do not need these as we have 7-08's for this type of cartridge size. The thought did go thru my mind to open the necks for 35 caliber and put a rim on case would make a sweet size cartridge for my marlin 336. I don't want to spent the money for a special reamer.

str8wal
05-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Sounds like 7mm IHMSA International.

nekshot
05-17-2016, 08:52 PM
you nailed it on the head. I even have a reloading manual that has the info and the dimensions are the same as the cartridge. Now this is getting interesting because I could get a reamer for it. This is stupid,now I think I need another barrel/gun simply because I have the dies. Any enablers have good merits for this round? How do I explain this to the misses??

EDG
05-18-2016, 02:37 PM
If they are marked .300 Savage it seems like RCBS owes you a set of .300 Savage dies.

Is there any chance some one bored those out and installed bushings?

Hardcast416taylor
05-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Back around 2000 I was given a battery sized box of fired range brass. After sorting by headstamp I examined them from the neck down. I found 40 of the .300 Sav. cases had been sized down to 7mm. As nobody at the club knew anybody shooting this round it remained a mystery till I scrapped out those cases in a 5 gal. pail of other scrap brass.Robert

EDG
05-18-2016, 04:03 PM
The 7mm IHMSA International round was a big deal in pistol silhouette shooting. I think it was a bit to much for a Contender.

For a short while Federal made cases mark IHMSA and no caliber designation. There was a small ram in the head stamp too.

I found 14 boxes of brass for $1 a box. It is not like that any more is it?
I got a staggering amount of money for those cases. About like today's prices only 15 years ago.

nekshot
05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
These were picked up at a vender I guess, I have them a while. It is the newer plastic box and I cannot tell if it was bushed. Makes nice looking shells and the correct dimensions for the 7mm Ihmsa. I am gonna keep them in case I find a barrel chambered for it. I have another 300 savage set of dies from Hornady so I am ok. If I would not have asked about it here I doubt I would have figured it out.