PDA

View Full Version : Wolff Gunsprings and Freedom Munitions, any luck?

JSnover
05-17-2016, 09:19 AM
I placed orders with each company on the 12th and received confirmation for both. They have not charged my card yet so it's not a huge deal but I was hoping my order would ship soon.
Does anyone know if they're just plain backed up? Both items were listed "in stock."

runfiverun
05-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Wolff has been around quite a while and has a reputation for quality springs that fit and work right from the box.

I got no clue about the other one.

jonp
05-17-2016, 12:39 PM
Ive replaced the springs on several guns with wolff's with no trouble. I ordered all through Brownells, though.

Used a box of their 38sp lead and it worked fine.

DerekP Houston
05-17-2016, 04:24 PM
I have almost an entire shelf of freedom munitions, they are *not* quick on shipping but it was a good price for me at the time. They also have a retail outlet I've used occasionally before I got into casting. Haven't used wolff springs so no comment there. TBH I received orders from sgammo and bulkammo much faster than freedom munitions, it just depends on which had a better price per round + shipping cost.

JSnover
05-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I've bought Wolff products though other outlets so I don't have any worries about quality.

JSnover
05-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Update: Wolff has shipped and FM has a disclaimer on their page about being swamped with orders.
I thought it worth noting, so no one thinks my point was to bash either of them or spread negative rumors across The Mighty Internet.

gnostic
05-20-2016, 12:02 PM
I shot my 645 S&W yesterday with Wolf springs. It FTF twice in a couple of hundred rounds. Both rounds had light primer strikes and both fired on the second fall of the hammer. So, Wolf Springs are on my 'don't buy again list.'

jonp
05-20-2016, 02:05 PM
I shot my 645 S&W yesterday with Wolf springs. It FTF twice in a couple of hundred rounds. Both rounds had light primer strikes and both fired on the second fall of the hammer. So, Wolf Springs are on my 'don't buy again list.'

Ate you sure you bought the right ones? FTF's can occur in any gun that does not like a certain brand of primer. Did you try different primers?

JSnover
05-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Apples to oranges, I know, but the 1911 springs I bought ten years ago are still good.
This order was a replacement magazine spring for a 30rd stick mag.

DerekP Houston
05-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Update: Wolff has shipped and FM has a disclaimer on their page about being swamped with orders.

Freedom munitions is pretty much always swamped with orders, I see a lot of gun ranges around here stocking them as range fodder for sale. Same could be said for almost all bulk suppliers with the election coming up.

gnostic
05-20-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping that, I seated a rifle primer, or something, rather than a properly seated Winchester Large Pistol. I had the springs installed at Kings Gun Shop in Glendale, they knew what they were doing. I'm a little disappointed, as now, I don't trust this handgun and I shoot it really well. I've noticed that light primer strikes, are more prevalent, when shooting double action.

gnostic
05-20-2016, 08:57 PM
I have them in other guns and never had a problem. This 645 really has a great trigger, I hope I don't have to mess with it.

mjwcaster
05-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Freedom munitions is at the NRA show right now.
Giving away sample baggies you can fill up with bullets/brass.
Not sure if this will slow them down even more.
I picked a baggie of .356 100gr for my 380, and will probably buy a thousand or so.
I don't have a mold yet and no time to cast but have a new lcp that is hungry.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Rufus Krile
05-21-2016, 12:10 AM
gnostic... One of the old tricks on Smiths was to back out the spring tension screw in the front of the grips or to shave a little off the inside face. This butts up against the leaf spring that is the main spring on K and N frames... ( dunno about L's). I don't think Wolff ever made any leaf springs... only coils.

Geezer in NH
05-21-2016, 11:31 AM
gnostic... I don't think Wolff ever made any leaf springs... only coils.
Sorry wrong. https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&%20WESSON/K,%20L,%20&%20N%20FRAME/cID3/mID58/dID264

Rufus Krile
05-21-2016, 04:45 PM
I stand corrected... but the advertisement does hint at the possible problem and solution. I've always had real good luck with Wolff... they've been used to correct a lot of manufacturers woopsies.

Geezer in NH
05-21-2016, 07:12 PM
OP needs to check the strain screw to make sure it is stock length and tightened in. I do not care who did the trigger job.

Riverpigusmc
05-21-2016, 08:24 PM
check your order from Freedom munitions. I used their stuff before the great panic, and it ran fine. However, when the shortage was on, a LOT of folks received ammo with visually noticeable bullet setback

JSnover
05-21-2016, 08:52 PM
The FM order was 45 acp brass but I always inspect, having gotten some corroded "new" brass from other sources.

gnostic
05-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Rufus... I've had light strikes before when I backed off the spring tension screw on S&W revolvers, this is a large 45cal semi auto from the 80's, that in the past ran flawlessly. I really don't get-it, a couple hundred rounds had good looking primer strikes and two seemed just a little weak.

JSnover
06-09-2016, 03:55 PM
So, the brass came in today and it looks great. I haven't researched the actual maker but it is headstamped "X-TREME 45 AUTO"
Weight averaged 94.5 grains (compared with new R-P @ 85.0).
If you're not in a hurry Freedom is fine. They responded quickly when I asked what the holdup was. If you need it right now you might want to shop elsewhere or at least contact them first, ask for a time frame.

DerekP Houston
06-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I have a similar situation to the OP, but with a different company. I placed an order and received confirmation email within a few minutes. Status on the website changed from order processing to shipping the next day but then it showed as stuck in shipping for 2 days. On the 4th day I got a tracking number via the website but no email yet with tracking info. The carrier tracking progress showed the order actually left the business on day 2, so I was pleasantly surprised that the order is likely arriving sooner than the supplier lead me to expect.

It seems some businesses just don't have a good process for sending status updates, despite using 'modern' tools like email and secure internet ordering. Communication is key to a complete customer service package. One could say 'all is well that ends well', but better updates along the way would be nice.

I agree, nothing more frustrating than USPS tracking #. The package will show up before the website updates that it shipped....

On Freedom Munitions, i'll add that I ordered and waited far longer for them to ship than any alternative I used. I mentioned in my email to them along the lines "i ordered from sgammo *after* placing this order and it still arrived quicker." I have since found their retail location in Houston and started reloading....

lightload
06-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Wolff revolver mainsprings are offered in regular and target weight with the warning not to use the target spring for defense weapons. I shoot a target spring in a K frame .38 spl and notice that primer indentations are less deep than the regular spring. Factors affecting misfires are (1)cylinder end shake, (2)strain screw tension, (3)hammer drag, if any, on frame, (4)high primers, (5)primer brand, and of course (6)mainspring strength. Federal primers are less likely to have misfires from lightened mainsprings and are selected by competition shooters for this reason.

An acceptable way to get a reduced DA and SA trigger pull using the regular factory mainspring is by cutting two coils from the rebound slide spring and leaving the factory mainspring in place. Smith at one time recommended this approach and may still do.

Replacing springs with lighter ones sometimes doesn't work well unless steps are taken to polish internal parts to reduce friction and drag, especially on the hammer. The side plate can drag against the hammer, trigger, and trigger rebound slide. Cylinder end shake is back and forth movement and must also be kept at a minimum.

I've been shooting Smiths for 46 years and in my experience the N frame guns were the quickest to show light primer strikes when using lighter springs.