PDA

View Full Version : iomskp's double rifle in 300 Sherwood

BigEyeBob
05-17-2016, 05:10 AM
Posting these images of iompsk ' s double rifle in 300 Sherwood , he's a member here .Following on from Martini under construction thread.
He promised to post some pics , I offered to do it for him .
Now hopefully he can give some more info on this lovely rifle.

sharps4590
05-17-2016, 06:26 AM
It is definitely a looker.....what is it, maker? Or is he one of those unreasonably talented fella's who can build his own on a shotgun action?

BigEyeBob
05-17-2016, 08:06 AM
It is definitely a looker.....what is it, maker? Or is he one of those unreasonably talented fella's who can build his own on a shotgun action?

Have no idea at this stage waiting for the owner to give more details.

C. Latch
05-17-2016, 08:27 AM
That sure is some pretty wood.

Mk42gunner
05-17-2016, 01:48 PM
That would be a very fun little rifle to own and shoot. I like it.

Robert

Bigslug
05-17-2016, 03:38 PM
This jogs my memory a bit. . .

When I was very little - under ten probably - my folks and I were visiting my grandmother who lived out in the sticks. There was a tree squirrel that was acting very agressively, and was almost certainly rabid. My father took it out with the only firearm available at the time - the breaktop .38 S&W revolver that my grandmother had for home defense. It had a bent barrel, crooked sight, or some other impediment that you had to compensate heavily for in order to hit what you wanted.

What you've got there, friend, is the PERFECT weapon for following up dangerous rodents in heavy cover! Just make sure you flip up the oversize ivory front bead before you wade into the thicket, and keep a couple extras between the fingers of your left hand. When they charge, it isn't pretty. . .:lol:

When you consider all the work & expense that goes into making a double rifle shoot properly, making one in a small game caliber is an extremely neat thing simply because so few would bother. As Ferris Bueller said of his buddy's dad's Ferrari "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up".

Ballistics in Scotland
05-26-2016, 10:14 AM
Well, it isn't for use when a second reliable shot can save you from getting eaten up or squashed flat. But you get a second aimed shot without the sightest movement or extra noise, not even falling brass. Someone has to do it!

Bigslug
05-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Well, it isn't for use when a second reliable shot can save you from getting eaten up or squashed flat. But you get a second aimed shot without the sightest movement or extra noise, not even falling brass. Someone has to do it!

I dunno. . .if the ejectors kick the spent cases out hard enough, you might be able to kill a third squirrel with those. It'd take a little practice. . .

I've clicked back on this one a number of times. There's just something about crafting high art purely to appeal to the Inner Small Boy that amuses me greatly. Makes me want to play the theme music to The Ghost and the Darkness. . .on a kazoo.:mrgreen:

Keep the pics coming Bob. Me likey!

Nueces
05-30-2016, 12:07 PM
A jewel like this would be high up on the list after a lotto win. I ran across a similar rifle in Anchorage in the late 80s, a Holland's double in 357 Maximum, cased with all accessories: $18K. Would love to shoot a high CAS match with one, at least once.

snowwolfe
05-30-2016, 02:37 PM
A double doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. True, you can spend $150K for a Holland and Holland Royal but there are other choices, especially in the smaller calibers.
My smallest double is a Chapuis UGEX with ejectors in 30R Blaser. This is a 30 caliber rimmed case with ballistics just a little better than the 30-06 which makes it perfect for hunting just about anything in the lower 48. I bought this rifle about 5 years ago and it was built to my specs, with a left hand cheek piece as I am a lefty. It cost me $4,300.
In todays world that's a pretty good price. Especially when you can spend that much on a semi custom bolt rifle with a plastic stock.