PDA

View Full Version : Holographic Sights? Looking for info.

schutzen
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm working up a slug gun. I'm considering a holographic sight. Two I have looked at are the AimShot HGM1 and the Burris Fast Fire. Does anyone have any experience with holographic/red dot sights? Anyone have any recommendations pro or con?
Thanks, Schutzen

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
c-more is the by far favorite in ipsa.
my 375 win destroyed a bsa about 5 shots after i got it sighted in.

Lee
05-14-2008, 04:30 AM
Buy a cheapo one first and try it for a while. I have several in my collection ranging from $7 to $70. I don't care for any of them yet. The dot is too big for my liking is the main complaint. The other big factor is visibility in daylight. Not all it's cracked up to be, IMHO.
Now your mileage may vary, and a $700 might be the cats meow, but I still suggest trying a cheap one first and working up from there. Try for the smallest dot MOA that your wallet can afford.

Just my $0.02................................Lee;-)

bobthenailer
05-14-2008, 06:43 PM
i have a orgional tasco 2000 and a pride fowler special ops sight , the tasco works ok sent it back for repairs 2 time since i bought it new 10 or so years ago, i have it on a 1911 in 45 acp slide mounted, the pf sos is the best ive seen clear . and the dot is never to bright / starburts effect as with the other sights of this type its mounted on a 6" FA 454 casull . i also owned 2 doctor sights 1st & 2ed generation nice sight but the dot was allways to bright sent 1 back for that problem they sent me a 2 ed generation and it was also to bright , sold it , i also tried 2 trueglo trupoint both were the worst red dot sight ive ever owned totally useless the paralexx was bad, i called the factory to see if i got some bad ones and after some BS from some employe i asked to talk to the boss and was told thats the way they were and he could see i wouldnot be happy so i sent them back and got a refund . i currently owen about 25 red dot sights and have used them for over 20 years just picked up a aimpoint micro for my 7 1/2 " fa 454 so far excellent! i will buy another as soon as i can get another for a decent price

JSnover
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't know if it would stand up to slug gun recoil but my Bushnell HoloSight works pretty sweet on my FN-FAL. After a few hundred roiunds it hasn't shot loose or misbehaved, bright sun hasn't been a problem.

Scrounger
05-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Anybody remember the Nydar sights?

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2008, 03:15 AM
had a cheap one and when it was in the sun the lense from sand looked like a spider web. It was junk. I did have a bushnell one and it was a good unit but a tad big.

mooman76
05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
I bought a cheap one from Sportsmans guide for my AR. It has 5 different site patterns you can switch too. Worked good for me. The only thing I didn't like was I had to manually turn it on and off. I was always afraid I would turn it on and leave it on and then when it was time to use it, have the battery dead. Other than that I liked it fine. It wa like $40.

Johnch
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I have 8 or 10 on rifles , pistols , shotguns and front stuffers

I use a number of Millits , never broke one yeat
But non super heavy recoiling pistols , one is on the SRH 454 but I don't run full power loads

Holo sights and polorized glasses don't mix
I replaced the battery 2 times before it dawned on me it was my glasses

I find they are faster to aquire the target than iron sights or a scope

I played with a freinds Doctor , I found the window a little small for me

IMO tube sights are easyer to use than sights with a screen

John

JRD
05-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Scrounger,
My father has a Nydar. It came on an old double he bought years ago. The sight has no place a nice SXS, so he pulled it off and has had it in his safe for years. It was a pretty neat sight for the late 40's. $27 was a lot of money back then. Probably like springing for an ACOG now.

Jason

Alchemist
05-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Ive got one of the multi-reticle Bushnell's, and an EOTech....Bushnell is around $80.00, and works fairly well. Had it on a .243 Winchester for a while then put it on an AR-15. The EOTech is about $380.00....but what a difference! It only has one reticle pattern, a 65 MOA circle with a 1 MOA dot. It boils down to how much you can afford and are willing to spend. If you just want to try one out and see if it works for your application, go with a cheaper model. If you're sure it's what you want and can spare the cash, the EOTech is awesome! My two cents.....

Alchemist

JSnover
02-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Thought it might be worthwhile to resurrect this thread... I like my Bushnell but it's a little bulky and it's getting beaten up by flying brass. Doesn't matter where I mount it on the rail. The AimSHOT unit looks more compact and the price is under $100. Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.aimshot.com/holographicSights.php

Hickory
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I have one on my T/C muzzleloader.
Acquisition is quick and easy.

http://www.fototime.com/5ABE5E5C8BF35BF/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/5ABE5E5C8BF35BF)

JSnover
02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks, that might do it. The overall length is shorter. I'm hoping I can mount it far enough forward or aft to clear the empties. I guess your T/C wouldn't have that problem.

Ohio Rusty
02-09-2011, 07:04 PM
BSA = Broken Sight Again

I bought one of the sightmark sights to try on my contender. I like the idea of the red dot instead of trying to find a moving target thru a regular sight tube with crosshairs. My wife liked the red dot in the truglo tube. I did get one of the 30MM tru-glo's for her, but I think I'm going to get her the 42MM Tru-Glo that has the 2X magnification. I think that will be more suitable for her.

I looked at the EOtech and the new Leupold holographic sights. The new Leupold is awesome ... but $500 is out of my price range. I'm also interested in the Aimpoint sights. I received email from Aimpoint stating their holographic sights should work with no recoil/shock issues on the .357 or .44 barrels.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Hickory
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.fototime.com/E29C5AA8CD9C79A/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/E29C5AA8CD9C79A)

Rusty;
I use a Tru-Glo on my 44 Mag, after 4years
and hundreds of rounds, it is still right on.