PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895 vs hog

smokinfeathers
05-15-2016, 11:53 PM
Found a nib marlin 1895 old stock jm stamped rifle last week at my local shop. Did a little horse trading n took her on to the house. Still had some 405 fp that i had from when i had a 1886 a couple years back dont rember the load. Plan on scoping it but forgot to get a base, so put a lil white nail polish on front sight n took the hood off n hit the woods! Hadnt even fired a shot through it but hogs would be at bow range where i was heading. Eased in to the stand n there was a tree across the window of the box blind but it has a porch on it so i got up there n stood and n just a few minutes the feeder went off. I was looking the oposite way across the creek n the hardwood bottom n low n behold here come to big boars running to get to the corn !! They went down n the creek n stopped to wallow a minute then came right up out of there n directly under me at 10yds, let one fly right down into the center of the back between the shoulders n down he went just a squealing! Climbed down n put one n his head with the lil glock 42 just for good measure!! Bout that time realized i couldnt drag him !! Had to go get. 4 wheeler n winch him up n the tree then swing him over on the rack . Wish i had a scale n could post pics off my phone as he was dang good size!!

TXGunNut
05-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Good Job! Been hunting with a Guide Gun for years and recently scored a Remlin 1895 in 45-70. Awesome hog gun! Post pics if & when you can.

smokinfeathers
05-16-2016, 12:48 AM
Ive been missing a 45/70
n my arsenal, i had another 1895 n a couple encore barrels n the 86 winchester n had let them go along the way n was sure a pleasant surprise to find this one n take it home. Not to mention taking a big hog with the very first shot i fired!! My 35rem n 356 gonna get jealous, just something about the 45/70!! Got to send them from my phone to laptop n try that