PDA

View Full Version : Dillon large case polisher

country gent
05-15-2016, 10:30 PM
I went back tonight to put the 38-55 cases from today in the polisher, Went to start it up to add alchlol and iosso polish It started slow made some noises and died. Disassembled it motor shaft didnt seem bound or tight turning by hand. Blew it out with new can of canned air a little dust but not alot. Worked some oil into the bearings/ bushings. let it set upside down for a few mins and reasemnled the polisher. Went to start it up same thing ran slow and died but no noises this time. I purchased this polisher in the late 80s It is the large polisher, Im hoping to get a motor for it as everything else is still in great condition. This polisher has ran over night once a week since I purchased it so in reality 31 years isnt bad service. I have a used motor here same horse power, amperage, and rpms I may make a conversion mount for it If I cant get a new motor from dillion.

VHoward
05-15-2016, 10:59 PM
Dillon has sourced new motors for these. They may not have a replacement motor for you.

labradigger1
05-15-2016, 11:01 PM
If it's an older one it may be a fl 2000. I have one and it's been great. I hear motors are not available. Good luck to you

country gent
05-15-2016, 11:55 PM
I have an e-mail into DIllon. But Im not above an aftermarket motor and making an adapter plate up. its a simple stud mount now so not a big deal to cut a pound sheetmetal ring, locate 4 holes original motor spacing the 4 holes 45* new motor spacing. Just will need to find the new motor. The one in it is 1/25 HP, 1.6 amps. 3000 rpm, 115 volts. 5/16" shaft. Im really not complaining about the life of it at all. But I hate to throw out good parts also. Everything else on it is in great shape still

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2016, 06:40 AM
i have a big Dillon. I also have a smaller lyman and Frankfort aresonal unit. I wonder if you couldn't pick up a cheap Frankfort arsenal unit and adapt the motor. I doubt its much smaller if any. Running all three of them the big Dillon doesn't agitate near as well as the other two. Never did. My guess is there all about the same power level.

Dan Cash
05-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Try Thumbler's for a motor replacement. You will likely have to build an adaptor but you will get a good motor. Ensure air can get under the tumbler base while running. I bought my first Thumblers vibratory outfit about 1980. It ran on a carpet pad and I burned up the motor after about 10 years. Got a new motor in 90 or 92 and machine has been working steady ever since but I ditched the carpet pad.

lightman
05-16-2016, 08:23 AM
I had the same thing happen to mine a few years ago. Mine is about the same age as yours. It was covered under their warranty but they wanted me to send it in because they had to adapt another motor. I think I had to pay shipping to get it to them, about $17.00 I think. The hardest part was finding a box to fit it. The newer ones are warranted for 2 years if I remember. Hope they take care of you like they did me.

country gent
05-16-2016, 05:23 PM
Talked to Dillon Tech service on the phone and got the number address to send it in to. Yep it has to be sent back, finding a box that big will be fun. Maybe a piece of flat card board and bend my own box up. I was told if it needed replaced I would get the new CV2001 with a 1 year warranty. Im happy with it being replaced yet I did purchase one with a lifettime warranty. First call was told if it wasnt under warranty it would be $100.00+ repair fee to replace the motor. I have friend who is an electrician Im going to talk to about the motor also.

country gent
05-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Got with graingers today, The new motor and lug mount will be here tomorrow. They found what I needed in a better grade motor. condenser start 1/10HP instead of 1/25 less amp under full load. 110 volt 3000 rpms So polisher will be back up and running thursday or so. Shaft is 1" longer than the original . They are very helpfull there.

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 06:16 PM
Just found this post. I was going to recommend Grainger's but your last post puts me to late. That were I got mine about ten years ago.

AKbushman49
05-21-2016, 07:00 PM
countrygent- I have the same problem with an old fl-2000 dillon tumbler, did grainger give you a part #? My luck with looking up pn's has been futile. thanks. bushman

country gent
05-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Motor I got from graingers tag reads 1/10 HP 3000rpm 5/16 shaft stud mounts 4 ea both ends. These didnt work as the vibrations proptly pulled the lock crimps from the end plate, good idea but didnt work. Son was over today and we started over with the lug mount and it promptly broke 1 ear at the bend in it. Im going to make a plate to bolt on shaft end and sandwich the motor between this plate and the mount plate with 1/4" X 20 ready rod and nuts. hen it was running we had great circulation of the cases corncob media. The mounting is the issue so far. It looks like its going to work good once the mounting is figured out. It is continuos duty, shaded pole, 110 Volts,

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2016, 07:43 AM
Little trick I learned long ago with these companys is to just send it in without even talking to them. When they have it there they tend to just fix them and send them back rather then contacting you and trying to get money. Bottom line is if they quote you a 100 bucks for repair that costs them 10 bucks and you say no they still have to ship it back. So its just easier for them to fix the thing instead of wasting there employees time with phone calls and quotes.

OS OK
05-22-2016, 09:40 AM
If you understand how to identify the exact motor that was used then you can get exactly what you want as a replacement part from Grainger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SehKNewJPXc
There is a lot more to motors than meets the eye.

Geezer in NH
05-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Many have been screwed by Dillon on their tumblers they claim have a different warranty than the rest of their products. Look their tumblers up some have started fires