PDA

View Full Version : I have a dilema and could use some advice.

tazman
05-15-2016, 07:38 PM
I currently have the opportunity to purchase a 22lr target rifle. What I have been looking at are three rifles.
1-- A Mossberg 44US with sights in decent condition.
2-- My choice of several Schults & Larson 22lr rifles with sights
3--A new CZ 455 ULTRA LUX
All will cost about the same money(within $50).
I will be shooting it for target, plinking, and shooting practice. What I am looking for is a really accurate rifle. Unfortunately I can't shoot any of these before purchase.
Which should I get?

odfairfaxsub
05-15-2016, 07:53 PM
455 ultra lux. Love my trainer and their nearly one in the same shooting wise cept sights and type of wood

Calamity Jake
05-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Yap go for the 455, I have a 452 and love it.

Earlwb
05-15-2016, 11:28 PM
I think it depends on which Shultz and Larson rifle it is as they have made quite a few different types and models. But the CZ 455 is a good one too. I would lean in the CZ direction too, unless I knew what S&L rifle you were interested in. It might change my mind.

almostgone
05-16-2016, 01:33 AM
CZ 455 ultra lux IMHP

tazman
05-16-2016, 07:21 AM
I think it depends on which Shultz and Larson rifle it is as they have made quite a few different types and models. But the CZ 455 is a good one too. I would lean in the CZ direction too, unless I knew what S&L rifle you were interested in. It might change my mind.

I am unfamiliar with the S&L rifle models that were made. I don't really know what to look for. There were at least 3 different models with minor differences between them. All had the longer "trainer" barrels and sights on them. I didn't look to see if they had adjustable triggers since I wasn't aware they might have them at the time.
What details or models should I look for?

tejano
05-16-2016, 08:55 AM
I have a slender Kimber (made in Oregon) with a Leupold rimfire 4X that satisfies my accuracy needs, but the long iron sights radius of the CZ 455 sure tempts me. That would be my choice.

Mk42gunner
05-16-2016, 11:47 AM
A buddy had a Mossberg target rifle when we were kids, very accurate, as all Mossberg .22's I have shot over the years have been; even the plinker grade ones.

I have a CZ 452, very accurate, not as easy to hold still as a heavy target gun.

No experience with any Shultz & Larsen rifles, I have read on the internet that they were good.

I would say that unless you were panning on a steady diet of serious four position target shooting, get the one that feels best in your hands. And if it takes detachable magazines; get one or two extra, just in case.

Robert

Vinne
05-16-2016, 06:38 PM
+1 on the CZ 455!!

odfairfaxsub
05-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Can I vote again? Cz 455!!!!

1Hawkeye
05-16-2016, 09:16 PM
CZ hands down. Mossberg and S&L are good but what happens if you want a spare mag or god forbid you need a part. The CZ 452 or 455 series are worth every penny.

odfairfaxsub
05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Cz out of the box are decent. I've seen savages shoot better than my cz w little effort from factory but the cz is a bolstered build from factory, quality steel parts, avail barrels and parts and support, overbuilt guns, strong guns, heirloom style guns that are fine looking and able to tweak to make it just as accurate as any production 22 rimfire style gun you can get. Their bullet proof and just way overly fine guns! You won't regret. They also hold value and are extremely disirable in the resale market.

Forrest r
05-17-2016, 07:08 AM
I wouldn't buy any of them.

The 2 actual "target" rifles are outdated at best and are nothing more than a beginners 4p rifle.

The cz while being a good rifle is limited to it's stock design. Hog's back stock designs aren't the best for position shooting other than offhand. The low comb makes them extremely hard to find a scope ring combo that allows the shooter/user to get a good cheek weld. And that style of scope isn't the greatest for bench work.

At the end of the day the cz in not a target rifle by any means. It will need trigger work and it doesn't have a true match chamber (that's why people keep posting to use low grade/longer bullet match ammo) and has a stock that is less than ideal for anything other than offhand shooting.

And no I'm not bad mouthing cz's, I've owned a cz since 1996. That's long before most people have even herd of cz's or the lux. I just know the limitations of the "LUX" models having owned a cz lux for 20 years.

odfairfaxsub
05-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Agree they are not match grade rifles.... To get one to that point the only thing left stock is reciever and bolt

tazman
05-17-2016, 08:24 AM
What rifle would you recommend for my use?
Please keep in mind that $500 is the max I can spend. I realize that removes a lot of choices from consideration, but it is a reality for me.

451 Pete
05-17-2016, 11:45 AM
..... " What I am looking for is a really accurate rifle. " ...

Saying that I would go with the CZ for several reasons. I have one of the 452 Lux models that the 455 Ultra Lux has replaced and out of the box it is a good accurate rifle. Secondly you are purchasing something new so there will be no previous owners that may have damaged the accuracy of the gun by not taking care of it properly, damaging the crown or doing something silly in the past. Because with a rim fire rifle you really cannot handload ammo and have to depend on a manufacturers product I would pick up several box's of standard velocity ammunition from several makers to see what it will shoot the best. All 22 ammo is not the same and it seems each rifle has a particular one it likes best. ( My 452 Lux seems to really like the Geco Standard Velocity 22 long rifle marked as being made for bolt action rifles. ) The standard velocity ammo overall will cost you a bit more but should as a rule give you better results at the target. Lastly, if you are planning on a scope on the rifle pick up the best optics that you can afford. If you cant see it you cant hit it, and better optics will help you get the very best accuracy out of your rifle.

Hope this helps .... Pete

Silfield
05-18-2016, 04:41 AM
Please keep in mind that $500 is the max I can spend. I realize that removes a lot of choices from consideration, but it is a reality for me.
Hello Tazman,
$500 would get you a top quality BSA Martini International Mk IV/V with Parker Hale target sights over here (UK) but I am not sure about availability and price where you are. They are very accurate and robust and feel like a bit of history in your hands. I only paid £50 for mine and it was owned by a friend who used to shoot it in competition when he was in the Welsh national squad back in the 70's. I now have a slightly shorter spare stock fitted to mine so that my 10 year old son can shoot bench rest with it.
http://rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Martini_International_Mks_IV_&_%20V.html

Here she is (in the middle)-just loading up for a varied day at the range.

Forrest r
05-18-2016, 08:02 AM

There's nothing wrong with cz's or the savages that are in your price range. It's just that the cz american of varmint rifles have stocks that are better suited for a wider range of shooting styles than the hog's backed skinny schnabeled forended lux.

Make no mistake about it, the match chambered bull bbl'd savages with the accutriggers will give any of the cz line all they can handle. Savage makes allot of different models/designs including fluted and threaded bbl'd models. The fv series is hard to beat, allot of rifle for little $$$$. The fv series has rifles that range from threaded bbl's to package deals like the fvxp that are $300. Allot of savage shooters are buying the fvxp setup to have a standard sporter stocked bull bbl'd clip fed adjustable triggered rifle with a starter scope for $300.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559337619

Then they are buying a $150 boyd's pro varmint aftermarket stock to use as a tactical setup or for bench work.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/434121y1g203_pro-varmint-savage-mkii-bull-barrel-channel-laminate-stock-wblack-textured-paint

Just something to think about, allot of rifle complete with a starter scope that leaves enough $$$ after buying the fvxp + the tactical stock +shipping +ffl fees to easily fit into your $500 budget that will allow you to setup the rifle for sporter/br/tactical with enough left over for a bipod.

This setup should cover your "I will be shooting it for target, plinking, and shooting practice. What I am looking for is a really accurate rifle." needs.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-18-2016, 05:48 PM
I currently have the opportunity to purchase a 22lr target rifle. What I have been looking at are three rifles.
1-- A Mossberg 44US with sights in decent condition.
2-- My choice of several Schults & Larson 22lr rifles with sights
3--A new CZ 455 ULTRA LUX
All will cost about the same money(within $50).
I will be shooting it for target, plinking, and shooting practice. What I am looking for is a really accurate rifle. Unfortunately I can't shoot any of these before purchase.
Which should I get?

will the target be competition 3 or 4 position , silhouettes , bench rest?

I have the 44US i really like the gun but Havlin sales is about the only place for parts and accessories and when a magazine is 38 dollars it makes it harder to have several

i know nothing about the other two , I hear good things about the CZ but I asled what game your playing if any as htey all have some level of specialization.

the gun that really impresses me for the cost is my sons Savage MKII-FV he paid 215 dollars for it and he is borrowing one of my scopes at 50 meters it will make a ragged hole with decent but by no means match ammo the stock leaves something to be desired but some sleeping pad and horse wrap raised the stock up to the scope nicely.

i could easily see buying one for myself and putting it in a boyds stock

is it really a dedicated target gun , no , but dedicated target guns are so specialized now it would be hard to carry one in the woods for squirrel hunting if you wanted

tazman
05-18-2016, 08:45 PM
I don't expect to be participating in shooting target matches. This is for my own satisfaction and training. I just like to hit what I aim at.
I will most likely be shooting bench rest and 3 position for my own personal gratification. Actually, it has to be for my own. I doubt any one else would find my level of accuracy acceptable.

Forrest r
05-19-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't expect to be participating in shooting target matches. This is for my own satisfaction and training. I just like to hit what I aim at.
I will most likely be shooting bench rest and 3 position for my own personal gratification. Actually, it has to be for my own. I doubt any one else would find my level of accuracy acceptable.

Actually, you're being too hard on yourself. NRA smallbore targets are pretty forgiving. Mastering the positions are the hard part. Allot of shooters use the 1/4" @ 25yds as an accuracy standard for the rifle or ammo. The 25yd NRA target has a .335" 10-ring & all's you have to do is hit the edge of the 10-ring to score a 10. .335" + .224" (bullet diameter) ='s .560" outside to outside @ 25yds. That's very doable.

Playing around years ago on another website that had a offhand game. The idea was to keep 20 shots inside a 2" circle @25yds. The black circle is 2" and the white inner circle is 1". 20 shots at 25yds offhand that are in the 1" circle.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/25ydohsweet_zpstmwqc0sb.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/25ydohsweet_zpstmwqc0sb.jpg.html)

Big deal, 1" ='s the 9-ring @ 25yds. I shot that target with this setup, a remington 540x. The remington 540 series had the fastest lock time of all the remington rimfire series. These rifles can be found for little $$$, I bought the one pictured above for $275, it was in excellent condition being used for 1 season and then put away. It had the origional sights and handstop.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/scoped540_zpsggy08wia.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/scoped540_zpsggy08wia.jpg.html)

The people that say they can shoot 1/2" groups all day long @ 50yds are holding x-ring accuracy. The 10-ring on a 50yd NRA target is .89" and all you have to do is hit the edge of the 10-ring. .89" + .224" ='s 1" and change. A edge hit using a scoring plug to see if the shot touched the white.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/6512541scloseup.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/6512541scloseup.jpg.html)

Heck the 10-ring on a NRA target is 2" @ 100yds. So when shooters say that they're setup can do 1"/moa @100yds they are saying they're setup is capable of allowing them to win the nationals because the x-ring is 1" on a NRA 100yd target. 1" + .224" ='s 1.224" to be able to chew the x-ring out of a target.

You'll find that you'll get into the 360's in a hurry with 4p shooting (9-ring accuracy) with most rifle/ammo combo's. After that you will have to fight for every point and 90%+ of it will be the shooter not the setup. Doing head shots on flies @ 50yds (benchrest) is another ballgame, namely a $$$$ game.

Hang in there, there's allot of excellent rifles out there.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-19-2016, 10:23 AM
I think for 215 dollars the Savage MKII-FV will give you all the accuracy you need

then you can spend money on glass and maybe a replacement stock boyds has the pro varmint profile stock for 129.00

the trigger is not match but quite good and adjusts down to 2 1/2 pounds

We have 3 of them for the county 4-H program , my son has one and about half the kids shooting 22 that have their own gun have bought them in one flavor or another some with the wood stocks and some with the plastic

I was getting ready to buy 2 more when I got an NRA grant and they were giving away Ruger all Americans

I have no comment on the ruger yet i haven't even gotten all of them out of the box yet much less had a chance to shoot them I just got them Wednesday night and have meetings since.

roysha
05-20-2016, 12:08 PM
CZ all the way. If you can shoot better than the CZ, I suggest you not limit yourself to the choices you posted and look for a serious match level rifle. I have cleaned the NRA 50 foot target a couple of times, from prone with my 452 LUX and I'm really not a very good shot. I have shot 1/2" at 50 yards, once, when the stars were all aligned and the gods were smiling. Haven't been able to do it since, but that's me, not the gun.

Find the ammo it likes and you will be happy.