PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh #2

6pt-sika
05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
I am still trying to decide what caliber to build a second Shiloh Sharps .

My first is the 50-90 ! But I want the second to have a MVA scope mounted on top !

Originally I had thought of the 44-77 and 50-70 . Then later I added the 45-70 to the list !

Now I am thinking of the 45-90 or the 40-90 SS .

Talked with the people at Shiloh today and for what I want (mostly for shooting paper from the bench and a little hunting) they said the 45-90 would be better and have LESS recoil !

Can any of you shed some light on this last bit of information I got today ?

I kinda think what they meant was the 40-90 was a more abrupt type of recoil whereas the 45-90 is more of a push .

Am I correct in my assumption ?

boommer
05-14-2008, 12:15 AM
common sense would tell you lighter bullet with same charge means less recoil in equal rifle weight.

6pt-sika
05-14-2008, 12:33 AM
common sense would tell you lighter bullet with same charge means less recoil in equal rifle weight.

I thought that as well , but the way they said it the 40-90 would have a more abrupt recoil where as the 45-90 would be more like a BIG push !

EDK
05-14-2008, 03:31 AM
First off, I'd take what Kirk and the others at Shiloh say at face value. Everybody there is pretty much a serious shooter. The girls are serious competitors, so they know what they are talking about. The somewhat dated SPG RELOADING PRIMER discusses the 40/90 Bottleneck and Straight both..and recoil is the main drawback.

Second, you put 90 grains of 1.5 or 2 F powder behind a 400 grain 40 caliber slug and you're going to have some recoil. The slower powders in your 50/90 will give less recoil. (I tried 1.5 Swiss, then 2F Goex and then Goex Cartridge in my 13+ pound 50/90 Long Range Express...and settled on Cartridge. I'll talk to some of the experts at Quigley about the Goex Express...or anything else they suggest.)

OT You need to go to Quigley at least once..and then jog over to Big Timber. I leave the Saturday before, arrive at the Q Tuesday via Big Timber, then shoot and visit until it's time to get serious on Saturday. I head back to St Louis Monday and get home Wedsday or Thursday. With 500+ shooters, you can pick up a lot of information and see some interesting guns and gear. AND some of the prettiest country God made!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

6pt-sika
05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
OT You need to go to Quigley at least once..

I have been with in a few miles of the place back about 17 or 18 years ago !

Was in that area antelope hunting !

05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
This may be the perfect time to use some self imposed psychology. Get a Shiloh in 40-70 Sharps Straight. Very nice cartridge! Maybe one of the lighter smaller varieties of SS BPCR. Then sure as shootin, down the line you'll need (want) an in-betweener. The 45-70 or 45-90 would be the perfect in-betweener. See with all this logic you can then justify having three of them :mrgreen:

6pt-sika
05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
This may be the perfect time to use some self imposed psychology. Get a Shiloh in 40-70 Sharps Straight. Very nice cartridge! Maybe one of the lighter smaller varieties of SS BPCR. Then sure as shootin, down the line you'll need (want) an in-betweener. The 45-70 or 45-90 would be the perfect in-betweener. See with all this logic you can then justify having three of them :mrgreen:

The 40-70 Straight has never been one that really intrested me !

However the 44-77 or 44-90 Sharps now thats another matter gor a third rifle [smilie=1:

EDK
05-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Investigate the price of brass....and availability. Those would be a concern to me. A mould wouldn't be a problem because you're going to cast your own for any caliber...and Steve Brooks or Red River Rick, etc would take excellent care of your needs.

I'd hang out at shilohrifle.com/forums and/or some of the other black powder cartridge rifle forums and listen to what they say.

LEAH (Lucinda, Ellen and Heather..know them?) is a 50/90 LRX. Her future little sister will probably be a 45/70 twin. I'll have a MVA scope by then and switch it back and forth.

You need to go to Quigley if nothing else to hear all those big guns booming on the pre-match days. It must have been what it sounded like when the buffalo hunters were wiping out the herds!

Jon K
05-21-2008, 12:10 AM
You don't have to have a reason(or excuse) to buy a new gun, nor do you need to justify the selection of the caliber..........You only have to want it enough, to get one. It's just like getting another Marlin Lever................."Whatever Tickles Your Fancy".

Don't buy for the other guy's reasons, get the one you want, because if you don't, you'll wish you had......

Jon