PDA

View Full Version : RCBS JR3 Press.....Best Kept Secret?????

seagiant
05-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Hi,
Came upon another RCBS JR3 Press and I can not pass them up if at a fair price!

This one had a few problems and when I tried my usual clean up got frustrated and threw it in a box till I had more time to dedicate to it.

The action was very rough and of course the paint was gone.

I found a real aluminum primer catcher for it in the mean time, even though it is not in the pics.

I used Rustoleum "Industrial" paint for the body and the handle.

Anything that could be polished I polished for smoother travel.

I also did away with the old steel wave washers between the pivot block and the body and made some bronze washers from shim stock!

Everything a small improvement but stacked up gave me a smooth,tight working press.

I also put a small bend in the connecting bar between the pivot block and the ram.

This keeps the handle up!

All I need now is the little shellholder spring for the top of the ram!

seagiant
05-15-2016, 12:20 PM
More......

VHoward
05-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Nice!

Grasslander
05-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Great job as usual. Looks awesome!

LUBEDUDE
05-15-2016, 05:16 PM
Looking mighty fine there SG!

Wayne Smith
05-15-2016, 05:27 PM
I have a couple of those springs that I needed for my Echo. RCBS sent them to me free even tho I told them it was for an Echo press. Needed one, got three! Call RCBS.

dragon813gt
05-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Looks good. I did a quick refurb on mine a few months back. I use it for push through sizing of small bullets. I don't wait around to do this. The leverage on the press isn't the best and age hardened bullets are no fun to size on it.

Here is how it ended up: http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/CC61E74C-D33B-4615-A9FA-AD06A797D248.jpg.html

seagiant
05-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Hi,
Thanks fellas!

It's funny how some presses take well to refurbing and others want to be a pain!

Dragon, that press looks fantastic and I think you nailed the correct color on that!

Admittedly I like Rustoleum paint and color is secondary to that for me!

Great job!

I personally think anything from 30-06 on down is doable and the JR3 all you need!

dragon813gt
05-15-2016, 06:22 PM
I used Rusotleum. Color is satin moss green. I prefer the older shade of green they used to use. Not a fan of the current color they are using.

500MAG
05-15-2016, 06:33 PM
I have had one sitting under my bench for several years now that I got in a bulk purchase off of CL. Seeing these refurb paint jobs the past few weeks has given me the idea to match paint it to my Dillons.

seagiant
05-15-2016, 06:42 PM
I used Rusotleum. Color is satin moss green. I prefer the older shade of green they used to use. Not a fan of the current color they are using.

Hi,
Thanks!

I don't have that here at work, but will file it away!

The color you used matches (to me) what RCBS used in the old days!

Might have to repaint mine later!

That it comes made by Rustoleum....makes it a no brainer!

500 MAG, Anything but "green" for these presses to me is a sin?????

500MAG
05-15-2016, 07:12 PM
500 MAG, Anything but "green" for these presses to me is a sin?????

Seagiant, I understand what your saying. I'm not one of those that bash the different reloading companies. There's something I like about all of them. I have and use Dillons, Rcbs, Lyman & Lee. I would even consider painting my Dillons RCBS green but that would take a lot more work and wouldn't want to explain to Dillon if I had to send one back for work. Lol.

seagiant
05-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Hi,
I like Dillon's!

But when I refurb, I keep them BLUE!

dragon813gt
05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
It really doesn't matter but I prefer to keep them the color, at least a shade of it, that they originally came in.

Both of these were redone. I think the one of the right is Hammered Green or something along those lines. I don't like it but I keep different lubes in each one and it makes identification easy.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/BC5B5A3B-9299-493D-A699-001D7D1297C9.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/BC5B5A3B-9299-493D-A699-001D7D1297C9.jpg.html)

jimkim
05-16-2016, 03:42 AM
I saw a video the other day. The guys were painting some Ford valve covers. They found a spray can of wrinkle paint they liked, but it only came in black and one other colour. They wanted the texture, but also wanted it Ford blue. All they did was follow the directions and after the covers dried, paint them Ford blue. It might be an option for getting the original wrinkle green, which I love by the way.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

seagiant
05-16-2016, 06:17 AM
Hi,
I actually saw that vid!

I guess if you were really into it....

You could just powder coat everything!

winelover
05-16-2016, 07:50 AM
The RCBS JR is the first press I bought in the early 70's and still use it for resizing brass from 338 Win Mag and down. In fact, I have no trouble resizing 308W military brass, with it. Besides the Hollywood Senior Turret, it's the only other press occupying bench space. Had a Lyman Orange Crusher, before the Hollywood came along. After going through two sets of linkages, it went down the road. At half the size of the OC, the little RCBS JR is four times the press.

Winelover

bedbugbilly
05-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Nice job! It turned out great!

I have two Jr3s and a Jr2 - all excellent presses. They are a nice little press and I consider them my "work horses". I was lucky enough to find the aluminum angle base plates for them to tilt them when mounted.

Mk42gunner
05-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Guys, I have to commend you an all the refurbished presses and LAM's shown. The satin moss green color comes very close to RCBS green in my memory.

Robert

Walter Laich
05-16-2016, 11:53 AM
So what is a reasonable price for one of these in need of TLC?

I could use another for some specific tasks

seagiant
05-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Hi,
Thanks fellas!

Seems there are a few fans of the RCBS JR's here!

I think the main difference between the JR2's to 3's was the pivot block thread size for the handle.

I believe the JR2's was 1/2" and the JR3's was 9/16"!

I think if you have a JR2, that you can get the upgrade free from RCBS, but you'll have to call the nice Lady on that?

They did one for me years ago!

Here is another one I rebuilt and sold to my buddy that is also a Merchant Marine.

This one has ALL the bells and whistles and was actually hard to let go of!!!

You can see the original color here and see that Dragon's Rustoleum matches, pretty darn good!

My color is darker, but , matches the handle!

sandman228
05-16-2016, 12:50 PM
seeing this tread is giving me ideas for the 30 yr old rock chucker I was recently given

Mk42gunner
05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
So what is a reasonable price for one of these in need of TLC?

I could use another for some specific tasks

Its been so long since I bought the JR3 that I gave to my buddy I don't remember what I gave for it. I did buy a used Rock Chucker for $15 when the local gunshop closed and had an auction.

I have also seen various used single stage presses with anything from fifteen to fifty dollar price tags on them at gun shows. As long as the ram doesn't have much slop they usually work all right.

Robert

seagiant
05-16-2016, 06:43 PM
Hi,
Saw this, but, GOLD is where you find it!!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H1.Xrcbs+j r3.TRS0&_nkw=rcbs+jr3&_sacat=0

Shawlerbrook
05-16-2016, 06:58 PM
I bought an RS a couple years ago for $40 shipped. The RS is very similar to the JR's. It is a fine companion to my Rockchucker.

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 09:01 PM
eBay is a good barometer for current prices. You may be able to find one cheaper locally. But around me nothing is cheap anymore. Guys want more than new prices for old rusty dies. I just smile and move on.

seagiant
05-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Hi,
Yes the RS (Reloader Special) is like the JR3!

The RS-2 is not!

I like the old aluminum primer catcher. it looks "trick" to me but saw this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtXtD46RToc

jimkim
05-16-2016, 10:07 PM
I recently inquired about getting a current RS handle for my late 70's RS. They told me to send the block in, along with a note, and $10.00, and they would drill and tap the block so the newer RS handle would fit. They said the price includes the handle.

seagiant
05-16-2016, 10:34 PM
I recently inquired about getting a current RS handle for my late 70's RS. They told me to send the block in, along with a note, and $10.00, and they would drill and tap the block so the newer RS handle would fit. They said the price includes the handle.

Hi,
Interesting?

Did they say why they had to do that?

As I said before the JR2 went from a 1/2" thread to a 9/16" on the JR3!

Maybe they have slowly increased handle size in the pivot block over the years?

I'd call that cheap for what they have to do and supplying the new handle!!!

NavyVet1959
05-16-2016, 10:38 PM
Awh, paint it Dillon Blue and mess with peoples' minds... :)

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Awh, paint it Dillon Blue and mess with peoples' minds... :)

I thought about doing this w/ a Lee press. If I come across one cheap I'm painting it that color and going to play dumb on other forums when I post it. "When did Dillon make their Lee model?" Oh how fun that will be.

jimkim
05-16-2016, 10:49 PM
They said the RS-5 handle had larger threads than the ones on my RS handle. I thought I had saved the email, but I couldn't find it.

seagiant
05-16-2016, 10:51 PM
They said the RS-5 handle had larger threads than the ones on my RS handle. I thought I had saved the email, but I couldn't find it.

Hi,
Well, that was my first guess!!!

jimkim
05-16-2016, 10:56 PM
I can't believe it isn't in my archives. They said a lot m9re than just that. I had several questions about the thread description of various RCBS presses. They listed all of them, I had asked about. I hate loosing information. You never know when it will come in handy.

jimkim
05-16-2016, 11:01 PM
I thought about doing this w/ a Lee press. If I come across one cheap I'm painting it that color and going to play dumb on other forums when I post it. "When did Dillon make their Lee model?" Oh how fun that will be.
You should do it with a Lee Reloader.

rda72927
05-16-2016, 11:53 PM
I still have my first press, an RS2. I have had it for nearly 30 years. Only reason I replaced it was than the handle would no longer stay up. Years of use I guess wore the ram or the guide hole out. But still have it for a personal reasons.

Wayne Smith
05-17-2016, 07:50 AM
I still have my first press, an RS2. I have had it for nearly 30 years. Only reason I replaced it was than the handle would no longer stay up. Years of use I guess wore the ram or the guide hole out. But still have it for a personal reasons.

I doubt you wore anything out. I once called RCBS about my Jr3 handle drooping - they said they couldn't help me, all of theirs drooped too!

seagiant
05-17-2016, 09:29 AM
I doubt you wore anything out. I once called RCBS about my Jr3 handle drooping - they said they couldn't help me, all of theirs drooped too!

Hi,
All you have to do is pull the pivot block out and put a "small" bend (in the middle) on the flat of the connecting bar between the pivot block and ram!

Just a little, take it easy, and try it!

Increase till the handle stays up and it will work for your great grand children!

seagiant
05-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Really nice job, refurbing those old presses. I am blessed with 2 JR3's. One I bought new in 1977 and the other was gifted to me in new, unused condition. The only problem I ever had was the usual handle droop and a broken link pin. RCBS sent the wave washers to fix the sagging handle and I cut an appropriate sized drill shank to replace the link pin. The 3D printed primer catcher looks to be a really nice upgrade. I am surprised there is not a vendor on the forum offering them for sale. I really dislike sweeping up primers.

Marvin

Hi,
I like the Aluminum old school primer catcher!

Always check with "Huntington" if you need something RCBS does not have!

browntown
05-18-2016, 01:21 PM
I do most rifle loading on a Redding ultra mag press (it's big), but I've been thinking about getting an old Jr for a dedicated decapping station, as I wet tumble and like to punch out the primers prior to cleaning and sizing.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

TenTea
05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Hi,
I like the Aluminum old school primer catcher!

Always check with "Huntington" if you need something RCBS does not have!

I'm restoring an old RC and ordered an aluminum catcher from Huntington's for it this week.
RCBS is kindly sending me a shell holder spring clip (gratis) so thanks to these companies I'll have my companion press doing yeoman service within days.
Life is good.

TenTea
05-19-2016, 07:17 AM
Plastic catcher is $11
Cast is $20

Plastic degrades and aluminum oxidizes, so catch-as-catch-can.

The plastic unit that accompanied my RC was old, warped, dirty and flimsy (kind of like me, come to think of it!).
Metal is not always an upgrade to plastic but, in this game, it often is...

winelover
05-19-2016, 07:25 AM
My plastic one hasn't degraded in nearly 40 years......and I too am tired of picking primer pieces off the floor. I ordered the 3D Primer Catcher off e-bay, the other day. Expect it any day. Already, turned the ram 180 degrees, in anticipation.

Winelover

seagiant
05-19-2016, 05:37 PM
My plastic one hasn't degraded in nearly 40 years......and I too am tired of picking primer pieces off the floor. I ordered the 3D Primer Catcher off e-bay, the other day. Expect it any day. Already, turned the ram 180 degrees, in anticipation.

Winelover

Hi,
Looks efficent in the vid but not what I would call classy?

Function over form maybe?

Let us know what you think?

How much are they?

winelover
05-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Primer catcher is $18.99 plus $2.60 shipping. Choice of right or left side primer ejection. Tracking shows it to be in my hands by Monday.

Winelover

flashhole
05-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Y'all do some nice work. Thanks for sharing.

seagiant
05-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Hi,
Just found another one!

Like I said, can't pass these up if at a fair price!

winelover
05-24-2016, 07:37 AM
The 3D primer catcher arrived and installed. The seller / designer changed it , since the video. It now snaps in place, instead of attaching with a set screw. I don't see this as a improvement, since I had to use a electrical zip-tye, to prevent it from leaning forward, into the ram and interfering with the down stroke.

Once this minor issue was resolved, I decapped @ 100 cases. Twenty 45 LC and the rest 308W. For the most part, it does the job. One glitch is when the anvils separate from the spent primer, a few can land on the floor. I picked up three that escaped, when decapping large rifle primers. This is the result of the necessary clearance between the ram and the catcher. I will probably install a shim to move the primer catcher about 1/16" closer to the ram.

Winelover

flyer1
06-02-2016, 06:31 PM
I just got a JR2 for 46 bucks. I need to buy a shell holder retaining clip. Would one of ya'll have an extra that I could buy?

Thanks

seagiant
06-02-2016, 07:16 PM
I just got a JR2 for 46 bucks. I need to buy a shell holder retaining clip. Would one of ya'll have an extra that I could buy?

Thanks

Hi,
Call the nice lady at RCBS, and she will send you one free!!!

Wayne Smith
06-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Hi,
Call the nice lady at RCBS, and she will send you one free!!!

Actually, they sent me three!

seagiant
06-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Actually, they sent me three!

Hi,
I rest my case!

rda72927
06-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Good for a laugh (IMHO).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Edition-Low-Friction-RCBS-Press-/281993739136?hash=item41a822fb80:g:jjUAAOSwjwlXBAM P

seagiant, you have one of these???

flyer1
06-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Well it is low friction! Special coating? OIL maybe?

seagiant
06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Hi,
Actually I've got 3 now!

But none of them are worth $250!!!!!

Of course, all it takes is ONE...... sucker???

browntown
06-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Well guys, this thread got me to order a jr3 off of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142012724412

Looks like a decent unit. Spent 65$ shipped, which seems a little high - but I wanted it. Will use it as a dedicated decapper. I'll probably take it apart and clean it up a bit. I found that redding sells a ball that is supposed to retrofit old presses with the bicycle grip to a modern ball. Anyone try this? I was going to thread the handle, but this is cheap enough to just bang it on the end and call it good.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/778923/redding-press-ball-handle-conversion

Plan is to mount this press in the garage, and deprime brass as soon as I come home from the range. I tumble in the garage too. That way I can keep the dillon 650 and redding ultramag that reside upstairs nice and clean.

I'll get it later this week and try to remember to post pics.

seagiant
06-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Well guys, this thread got me to order a jr3 off of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/142012724412

Looks like a decent unit. Spent 65$ shipped, which seems a little high - but I wanted it. Will use it as a dedicated decapper. I'll probably take it apart and clean it up a bit. I found that redding sells a ball that is supposed to retrofit old presses with the bicycle grip to a modern ball. Anyone try this? I was going to thread the handle, but this is cheap enough to just bang it on the end and call it good.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/778923/redding-press-ball-handle-conversion

Plan is to mount this press in the garage, and deprime brass as soon as I come home from the range. I tumble in the garage too. That way I can keep the dillon 650 and redding ultramag that reside upstairs nice and clean.

I'll get it later this week and try to remember to post pics.

Hi,
Well...to me, that is a GREAT deal!

I would take some dishwashing solution and a brush and just scrub it good.

Then shoot it down with some WD-40 and let it sit a day.

Then wipe it off good and it should look like new!

You don't want to use heavy degreaser unless you intend to repaint!

You're going to be amazed at the strength, this "little" press has!!!

Pressman
06-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Yes, DO NOT use heavy degreaser, it will suck the color out of the paint. OK if you want an off shade blue press.

Ken

fgd135
06-20-2016, 02:54 PM
I upgraded my Jr2 a couple of years ago with a new ergo roller handle from Inline Fabrication. He makes handles for both the 2 and 3, with the different thread sizes. It is like a new press, better leverage, the handle definitely stays up when not in use. Got this press at a garage sale in 1990, along with a Uniflow, a 505 scale, several die sets, for $25.
Btw, I had contacted RCBS when I was ordering a new handle, and was told that replacement upgrade blocks and handles were not available--sounds like maybe I was misinformed, but is doesn't matter. This press, used when I bought it 26 years ago, is still going strong.

seagiant
06-20-2016, 03:46 PM
I upgraded my Jr2 a couple of years ago with a new ergo roller handle from Inline Fabrication. He makes handles for both the 2 and 3, with the different thread sizes. It is like a new press, better leverage, the handle definitely stays up when not in use. Got this press at a garage sale in 1990, along with a Uniflow, a 505 scale, several die sets, for $25.
Btw, I had contacted RCBS when I was ordering a new handle, and was told that replacement upgrade blocks and handles were not available--sounds like maybe I was misinformed, but is doesn't matter. This press, used when I bought it 26 years ago, is still going strong.

Hi,
Pics?????

fgd135
06-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Hi,
Pics?????
Not my pics, but one from the Inline web page:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0235/0841/products/RCBS_JR2_ERGO.JPG?v=1454830466

seagiant
06-20-2016, 10:07 PM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0235/0841/products/RCBS_JR2_ERGO.JPG?v=1454830466

Hi,
Thanks!

I was wondering what that would look like!

Not to bad really!

Might have to make me one of those and try it out!

browntown
06-21-2016, 01:57 AM

A little off topic, and I know it isn't yours, but can anyone tell me why the ram on that jr2 is so big and doesn't look like it would accept a shellholder? Maybe a swage ram? Looks bigger than original. Is it an arbor press coversion?

Speaking of which, I know rcbs makes one for the summit, but is there a kit for the jr's?

edit: I think it is a primer swage setup. Never seen one before. That makes me a newbie. Found pics here:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/reloading/swager/swager-1.htm

Oh, I asked RCBS email customer service about upgrading to a ball handle instead of the rubber bicycle grip. They told me to send my JR3's toggle block in to be retapped, and it would be returned with a new handle with ball. Didn't mention anything about price, but it just went out in the mail. Hopefully I'll get a new handle back soon and can report on the service and if they call me for any kind of payment.

AR15-SBR
07-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Browntown, I when through the same thing not more than a week ago. RCBS had my toggle block and handle back to me in just over a week.....No Charge. I LOVE RCBS.(I need a bumper sticker:p)

AR15-SBR

browntown
07-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Update, rcbs will get lots of my business going forward, new handle, new toggle, new pins, the only things they didn't replace was the toggle link (nla) and the ram. Some polishing out the rust pits in the ram and running some steel wool on a chamber brush with the drill got the die threads and ram hole cleaned up. Under the rust on top yielded a 74 manufacture date. Since this is going to be a dedicated decaping press, I mounted it in the garage, and cut back my filthy work bench to mount through a 2x4. Also ditched the wave washer for two 1/8" thick bronze bushings, one on each side of the block. A lil stiff, but should loosen up with use. Still an experiment, might go back to wave washer(s) if the stiffness doesn't improve. Some pics before and after. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/d8ab21bbbcad89568cb468c39fe3ca2f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/f2801c59755f5b44e13c75ad4197c7de.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/01882ec4832fa96b264eb504b74ef2cb.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/6f3f749ffccc8ec25f016736399b2e2d.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/08e688e285577098583584c01595db4c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/d9f43b88c6b55d6ae98e28b8059fbf40.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/49848ce86aa120e95d20a5bcf5f19b5b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/709b6c54b0cb3619bc7b08e749979755.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

seagiant
07-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Hi,
Looks VERY nice!

I like the way you mounted on the table!

There is an aluminum primer catcher available from Huntington.

I now have 3 of these and am fixing to clean up/paint a 1975 model (I believe!)

browntown
07-07-2016, 01:15 PM
I still have the old rubber bicycle grip handle. If you want it for your restoration efforts, you can have it for just the price of shipping

edit: claimed by lightload in TX. Hope it helps Bill out.

seagiant
07-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi,
This is the last one I did and put bronze shims in also!

Mine works great!

I sent a block to RCBS to redrill and a bigger handle years ago.

They also sent it back with the black ball handle!