PDA

View Full Version : any hand press or portable press with 1&1/4-12 threading?

Andy
05-15-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm converting all my dies over to hornady lnl bushings and was wondering if anyone knows of a hand press or portable style press that has the 1&1/4-12 threading, so that I could use an adapter and the bushings could be left on the dies. Something like the lee breech lock hand press would be ideal if it had that threading, but it does not.

Thanks,
Andy

Artful
05-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Andy, I can't recall ever seeing one - and I think it's because the larger die sizes are associated with larger cases so you would need a press with more leverage. You might contact Randy Buchanan to see if he would consider making a custom version of his W press for you.

gwpercle
05-17-2016, 04:52 PM
The new Lee Hand Press has what they call their Breech Lock Bushings. That might be an option.
Gary

PaulG67
05-17-2016, 08:34 PM
It would not be too terribly hard to bore and tap any press with a 7/8x14 TPI thread to 1-1/4x12 TPI as long as said press has the meat available to do so.

W.R.Buchanan
05-18-2016, 06:46 PM
I would have to make a wider top plate for my tool as it is only 1.5" now and that would only leave about .060 on a side when you are done tapping the hole. This is not that big a deal, in fact buying the tap would be the worst part of it.

But the question would be,,, Would Hornady sell the threaded bushings they use in their presses? Reproducing them would be a serious problem, and buying them from Hornady might not be all that cost effective.

The last issue would be if the OP wants to use his dies on multiple presses they will have to be readjusted every time he changes presses as no two will be the same elevation.

The Lee Breach -Loc system is relies on a timed thread which is then relieved in two places. It is much more complicated to manufacture on the press end than the Hornady system. Both have issues when it comes to outside manufacturing which is exactly the intent. Thus people can't just come along and knock you off. Great idea for a manufacturer, not so great for the idea thief.

Still trying to get what I've got off the ground and established. Will look at up grades as time passes.

Randy

Geezer in NH
05-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Anything in big caliber needing the big thread 1 1/4 x 12 will be a beast to size with a portable hand press anyway.

W.R.Buchanan
05-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Geeze: It would only be done to facilitate the use of the Lock and Load conversion bushing, not to facilitate larger dies. It doesn't have either enough leverage or travel to do .50 BMG's. I don't see a lot of market for a scaled up version on what I am selling.

Randy