PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Illinois for Virginia

Waldoone
05-15-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi Guys, I will be moving to Virginia around the first of June. Would love to hook up with any fellow shooters and reloaders in the Lebanon area. :grin:

Wayne Smith
05-15-2016, 06:51 AM
If you come to the beach, Virginia Beach, that is, look me up.

Outpost75
05-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Anywhere along I81 country is a great improvement from IL. I have it on good authority that America's Heartland and "flyover" country begins at I81, and that is the main reason why when I retired and wanted to get away from DC and outside the "moderate damage radius" that I determined that nothing east of I81 would even be considered. That pretty much determines the maximum commuting distance for liberal democrats and commies to drive to work into Washington, Annapolis and Baltimore, and I sure don't want to live with them...

When I stopped to get gas and stepped up to the counter to pay, and the WV State Trooper saw my holstered, cocked and locked .45 on my hip and asked, "that's a really nice Parkerize job on your 1911, is that original finish or did you have it done? I've been wanting to do that to my duty gun..." and I knew I had gone far enough!

Ithaca Gunner
05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, WVa is a bit more relaxed than most states.

toallmy
05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
If you ever get to the far side of Va. I'm on that little piece of Va. Between the Chesapeake bay and the Atlantic ocean . When you cross the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel heading north on Rt 13 and touch land it's still Virginia For 70 miles . Wayne Smith I see your across the bridge .

Tenbender
05-15-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm about 30 min. from Lebanon !!

flyer1
05-15-2016, 09:25 PM
My sister lives in Va. Beach. Love the area not so much the traffic.

Menner
05-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Waldoone
My Son is in the CG stationed at Yorktown nice area. Is it a pcs move?

toallmy
I'll be heading down your way in a few weeks to do a little cobia fishing
Tony

toallmy
05-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Fishing seams to be starting out kind of slow this spring , But that's fishing .

LUCKYDAWG13
05-16-2016, 06:54 AM
good luck I got 15 more years in this state

DougGuy
05-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Spent 20yrs in Norfolk, not really a fun place these days, not regretting being away from there. Hunted a lot in the Blue Ridge Mts along the I-81 corridor, a LOT of places to enjoy if you love the mountains, very pretty country. Maybe they will get their fill of that libtard Governor and fix the situation soon..

Petrol & Powder
05-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Our current Governor and his equally depraved attorney general need to go. The Governor will absolutely go at the end of his term because Va. governors cannot serve consecutive terms. Hopefully we can get rid of the AG as well. Virginia is no longer a red state but it is still a great place.
Lebanon is in SW Virginia and it is defiantly still conservative in that part of Va. Very mountainous, rather rural and good people.

N4AUD
05-16-2016, 08:19 AM
I live about 30 minutes from Lebanon. As far as Norfolk/VA Beach and Northern Va (or as I call it, occupied Virginia) they might as well be in a different country as compared to the place you're moving to. 400 miles apart and a world of difference in the atmosphere, people, etc.

bubba.50
05-16-2016, 08:47 AM
repeatin' what others have said, lots of beautiful places & smilin' faces all along that I-81 corridor. the sewage spillin' over from the District of Corruption has polluted our politics though.

Kraschenbirn
05-20-2016, 10:43 AM
Just spent the last few days of a 'getaway' vacation kicking around SW VA (Douthat SP)...beautiful country populated by some real fine folks. Hadn't been in that area for several years...did several backpack/bike/canoe vacations along the Greenbrier in WVA a few years back...and had almost forgotten how nice it is. Wasn't back in IL 48 hours before wife (retired beancounter) was looking at tax issues (retirement income, capital gains on sale of our IL property, etc.) and senior housing/health care availabilities in VA/WVA.

Bill

dannyd
05-20-2016, 01:20 PM
I lived on Exit 81 when I-81 only had only 81 exits from Bristol to Winchester.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2016, 02:38 PM
was stationed at Yorktown back in the 70s. It was nice then. Moved us to Norfolk. Not so nice!
Waldoone
My Son is in the CG stationed at Yorktown nice area. Is it a pcs move?

toallmy
I'll be heading down your way in a few weeks to do a little cobia fishing
Tony

Waldoone
05-30-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks everybody for the input. Hoping to make a piece of this country my new home. Should be out there by the 10th. Takes a lomg time to pack up 30+ yrs of living. Who says you can't take it with you. For sure not my wife.:(

MtGun44
05-30-2016, 10:23 PM
No matter where in Va you go, you will be more free than Illinois.

Waldoone
07-19-2016, 12:04 AM
Well we made it. Finally got internet up and running. Beautiful country with a nice mountain view of a National Forest out my kitchen window. Ended up in Lebanon. Anybody out here?

DougGuy
07-19-2016, 12:39 AM
That's some beautiful country up there, my fav thing about the mountains is gallivanting around the small towns and back roads find all kinds of stuff, ought to be yard sailor's dream around there. I always stop and look for vintage cast iron, old guitars and amps and other cool things.

44man
07-19-2016, 08:50 AM
I can't find my map, where is Lebanon? I had to move long ago to work at Dulles and would not live in VA. I moved from Ohio to near Harpers Ferry, WV in Bakerton. 50 mile drive to work but it was easy back then, now all roads are 35 MPH since developments sprouted like corn. Cop at every corner all day. Taxes more then the house payment in Loudoun county. Bad people and no where to hunt. EX DC residents and gov't workers, liberals all. It was hell to drive through VA every day. Radar detectors are illegal but I had one and it never shut up. Go into Herndon for any reason and cops would park up a side street and run a wire to a handheld radar at the corner with a pickup car down the street. Biggest police state in the country. I counted 5 police dept's in a mile on route 50.
Maybe SW VA is better but up north is not for me.

w5pv
07-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Beautiful sights along the hiway but you can have the cities

DougGuy
07-19-2016, 11:41 AM
I can't find my map, where is Lebanon?

LOL yer typing on it Jim! :bigsmyl2:

He's good, he's west of 81 almost to Tennessee...

44man
07-19-2016, 12:13 PM
LOL yer typing on it Jim! :bigsmyl2:

He's good, he's west of 81 almost to Tennessee...
OK. Sure not the same. Wish it was closer to me to have a new friend.

Tenbender
07-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Well we made it. Finally got internet up and running. Beautiful country with a nice mountain view of a National Forest out my kitchen window. Ended up in Lebanon. Anybody out here?

Remember I'm only 45 min. or so from Lebanon in Marion. Let me know sometime and we will get together . I'm playing nurse now. My wife had knee surgery Monday and I'm helping her. She should be back on her feet in a week or so.

kmw1954
07-21-2016, 06:36 PM

I was raised in McHenry county Illinois and moved north 32 years ago. Daughter was born in Chicago as was my ex-wife. Still have family in Illinois and I hate going down there. Unfortunately we're still in the Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Madison box. If I had my choice I'd be at the other end of Wisconsin.

needausername
07-21-2016, 07:26 PM
You'll have to learn Lebanese to live there. It's pronounced "Lebn'n", as I'm sure you've already heard.