PDA

View Full Version : filled in crimp grove

Lloyd Smale
05-14-2016, 07:52 PM
anyone run into this. Ive got a 290 grain group buy lfngc mold from mihec and it has 3 crimp groves that are all pretty shallow. I powder coated some today and it totally fills in the crimp grove. Anyone had a similar problem?

rockshooter
05-14-2016, 10:20 PM
I've noticed the same thing with some bullets- I just crimp thru the PC- the paint squishes enough to not cause any problems.
Loren

bangerjim
05-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Crimp away. Does not hurt anything. I do it all the time with absolutely ZERO problems.

BILLYBOB44
05-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Have you sized these yet?? Sometimes a re-size will bring back out the groove..Bill.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2016, 07:09 AM
yup ive sized. didn't bring them back. I guess ill just live with it. If it was for a handgun I would care much as ive crimped on bullets without groves before. I just worry a bit more because there for my 444 outfitter and it has pretty good recoil and they sit in a tubular mag and the bullet has to make it through feeding.

bangerjim
05-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Just note where the crimp groove is with a bare boolit and set up your dies to crimp at that location and the brass will push the PC out of the way. I do it all the time with no problems.....tube feeds, semi's, revolvers......makes no difference.

banger

BILLYBOB44
05-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Just note where the crimp groove is with a bare boolit and set up your dies to crimp at that location and the brass will push the PC out of the way. I do it all the time with no problems.....tube feeds, semi's, revolvers......makes no difference.

banger

That makes perfect sense Jim..Just got to think it through..HA HA....Bill.

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2016, 06:30 AM
I guess that's what I will have to try.

banger

OS OK
05-16-2016, 09:47 AM
I guess that's what I will have to try.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bangerjim http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3647244#post3647244)

banger

The noses of those casts are coated with PC…you will be seating deeper than the bare ones by the thickness of your coating…you will be seating above the crimp groove.

bangerjim
05-16-2016, 10:44 AM
I have never had any problems with a nose of any boolit of any cal being 0.002 longer. What kind of a gun are you shooting that will not accept that kind of tolerances?

And from my experience, if you try to seat "around" the crimp groove (before or after a few thou), the force of seating/crimping will just make brass crimp force the boolit to slid up or down so the crimp is in the groove anyway.

0.002 may be critical for diameter in some chambers, but I have no gun that gives a hoot about 0.002 longer or shorter.

Just my viewpoint from loading many thousands of PC rounds for lots of guns. Do what you feel is necessary for your particular gun.

OS OK
05-16-2016, 11:04 AM
I was only stating the obvious.

Stilly
05-20-2016, 02:04 AM
Sometimes thicker coats will do that. I crimp through it. No biggie to me.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2016, 06:18 AM
a tiny tweak of the seating plug will surely compensate for any coating thickness. No big deal. I load probably 20 different 44 bullets and have to adjust for everyone one of them.

fredj338
05-20-2016, 05:56 PM
I don't see that problem, maybe you are using too much PC??

Walkingwolf
05-20-2016, 06:39 PM
I just happen to have a bucket of crimp grooves for sale if anyone is interested. They are rare, never used, vintage so the price will be high.

RP
05-20-2016, 10:18 PM
I just happen to have a bucket of crimp grooves for sale if anyone is interested. They are rare, never used, vintage so the price will be high.
I been looking crimp grooves for a while unable to find them on ebay whats the cost per 1000

Smoke4320
05-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Warning, warning Alien approaching ..without my very rare crimp groove installer the above crimp grooves are useless.
If interested call br549 and ask for jr

Lloyd Smale
05-22-2016, 07:38 AM
I loaded some 444s with that bullet today and it looks like it seemed to crimp just fine.