PDA

View Full Version : Marlin vs. Win. in .30/30's - why you chose one over the other

Blackwater
05-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Just wondered how many of you have a decided preference for one over the other and why. My own experience is that I like the features of the Marlins more (solid top receiver for 'scoep mounting and greater resistance to foreign stuff making its way into the action innards), but I like the lighter wt. and better balance of the Win. M-94's in actual use. Since use, at least for me, trumps all else, I've come to prefer the Win's, but I have to admit I like the Marlins' flat topped actions. So it's a compromise, no matter which way I go.

And secondly, has anyone lightened a Marlin? I know Mic McPherson has outlined some proceedures for doing just that, but I've never done it nor seen it tried, so I'm curious if anyone here has done that to one.

I also know the Marlins are stronger, too, ultimately. They'd almost have to be since they're heavier. A friend of mine once had a habitual thief, unidentified at the time, steal his pork chop sandwishes he'd put in his locker for lunch. He doesn't cotton much to being hungry, and he took action. He'd also lost a full box of .30/30 ammo previously from a previous theft, so he knew the thief had a .30/30. In revenge, he loaded up a box of .30/30's, cleaning the cases up and shining them better than factory stuff. Lots of folks knew him for his shooting and reloading, and he was quite generous whenever he could be with others. He loaded them with a full case of Bullseye, though, knowing only the thief would get them. He certainly wasn't going to let anyone have them BUT the thief! So he put them in the pocket of his good military jacket he always wore to work. Sure enough, the first day he had them, he found his locker lying on the ground and his coat AND the ammo were gone! A few days later, he went to his locker, and found his new military jacket, just like his old one, had been cut to shreds by whoever the thief was. His explanation? "I knew he must'a been shootin' a Marlin, because a Winchester would have killed him!" I said, "But he could have died!" He responded, "I MEANT to kill or hurt him! I and a lot more folks were TIRED of his thieving!"

I know that's kind'a extreme, but some folks are just that way. I thought the thing about "he must have been shooting a Marlin" was kind'a surprising too, until I really thought about it. Few of us realize stuff like this until someone points it out to us.

So who prefers the Marlins and who the Winchesters, and what's our own personal reason why? I just like the lighter wt. and quicker handling of the Winchesters, but those Marlins are awfully fine guns, too. The pre-'64 Win's are my parsonal favorites. They just do what a .30/30 does so very well! Quick, light, short - it just fits for me. But what's your preference?

ancientriflesmith
05-14-2016, 04:47 PM
In my experience a full 30-30 case of Bullseye is a grenade. Even in a Marlin 336 the destruction would have been forward of the receiver about 4 inches and blown the barrel, forend and magazine tube to pieces. If more cartridges had been in the tube likely one or more of those would have detonated too. Really not a good way to rid yourself of a thief. He could have gave the "bomb" cartridges to anyone or traded them for a sandwich or whatever. But you are right the Marlin is considerably stronger, however a 94 would have blown up about the same way. The action would most likely have held, the barrel just forward of receiver is the weak point for explosive pressure. How do I know about blown up guns? I've been a gun nut all my life. I was gunsmith/rifle builder for 55 years. I've seen several blown up guns. I also designed several wildcat cartridges. Including the .429x2x06 a rimless 444 Marlin that was similar to the new 450 BM. However a double charge of around 48 grains of 2400 is a little much for a 94. I was no greenhorn then, just got distracted by kids while trying to get familiar with a new turret press. Walked away with walnut splinters in my knee and big toe nail taken off by something. Now at 77 I understand if you mess with snakes all your life you are going to come close to getting bit if your lucky and will get bit if not. NEVER RELOAD WHEN ANYTHING DISTRACTING IS GOING ON, NO MATTER HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE YOU'VE HAD.
ancientriflesmith
"the best medicine to prolong life is about 20-50 cast boolits downrange a day"

ancientriflesmith
05-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Forgot to answer your question. My preference is the Marlin. But because of less noise when racking. The 94 rattles due to the bottom of receiver dropping out and the sloppiness of the action. Its okay if you are in battery before a buck appears at 20 steps. If you have been there you know how fast those critters are, its a lot like shooting skeet with a slug.
ancientriflesmith
"the best medicine to prolong life is about 20-50 cast boolits downrange a day"

ascast
05-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Having owned both, I think the Marlin '93 is the better gun, but the Win is far more comfortable in use. I asked my uncle this question in the mid '90's. He was in his 90's then and had been a gun trader ( heavy) all his life. He said the Winch will handle shells better but the Marlin will last longer.
FWIW he got a Flu shot the next winter and was dead in 3 weeks. No Flu shots for the oldsters...

dragon813gt
05-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Marlin for me. I prefer side eject. They are extremely easy to clean from the chamber side, one screw removed. They are a lot cheaper, well they used to be anyway. And Skinner Sights look perfect on them.

At the end of day a lever action is a hunting tool for me. I won't spend what a Winchester costs. And I really hate top eject. I own two Winchesters, both push feed bolts. If I didn't get them for a song there would be no Winchesters in my safe.

MT Chambers
05-14-2016, 08:43 PM
I'd take the Winchester as I don't like the microgroove rifling, it's just not any advantage.

wrench man
05-14-2016, 09:33 PM
HAD one Winchester 94, sold it and used the $ towards another Marlin, IIRC? there are 16 Marlin lever guns in my safe.;)

LeftyDon
05-14-2016, 10:28 PM
I love my 1946 Marlin 36 in 30-30 only slightly older than me.

Frank46
05-14-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm not much for being biased towards either Win 94's or Marlin 336''s or 1894's. I say this because there are more than a few of each in my stable. And some of them are in the same calibers. Frank

shoot-n-lead
05-14-2016, 11:29 PM
I have both, but the Winchester's are by far, my favorites. I like the size, weight, handling and mine are smoother than the Marlins. And, for the pistol cartridge lever guns, the Winchester 92 has no peer...my Marlin's are not even in the race.

Matter of fact, I have just bought 2 more 94's this past week...a 20" and a Trapper.

Use whichever you like, they are all lever guns...and fun.

rking22
05-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Have never owned a centerfire Marlin, but had a M39 rifle for a short time. The Marlins just don't do it for me. I wanted a 357Mag lever back in the 70s, Marlin or nothing at that time. I just never liked the "fat" forend wood or the way the lever cycled. I don't care where they eject because I don't scope them. When Browning reintroduced the 92 in 1978, I had one as soon as I found one(44Mag was first so thats what I got)! Still have it and a pre64 carbine M94 and a 1979 BB94 in 375. that 375 is fast becoming my favorite levergun! Guess I have a preference for Winchester Levers, just about the way they handle and point for me. When I get where I can't see the open sights ,I'll hunt with something else that wears a scope better. Oh, I like reciever sights for target work but open sights work better for my hunting. I hate tang sights, get in the way of my hand on the gun. Not hating on Marlin, just like the winchester design better for my use.

Hick
05-15-2016, 02:13 AM
I like both-- but I own two Winchesters. My father-in-law gave me the first one (32 WS), but after I realized I could have more cartridge variety with a 30-30 I went looking for a 30-30. I just happened that the first one I found that was in great shape and at a good price was another Winchester.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Ahh..the old Ford or Chevy argument! I like 'em all, but my favorite is a Win. 94 BB in .356 Win. These came with a really odd looking high comb stock to be compatible with a scope. A customer ordered one and when received it had a long, deep unsightly scratch in the left side of the receiver.The butt stock was really plain wood, but the fore stock was semi-fancy. The customer declined the gun because of the scratch, so I removed the scratch with some draw filing and polishing and nicely reblued it, but not as shiny as original. Then I replaced the butt stock with a regular semi-fancy piece of walnut that follows traditional lines, added a non-ventilated rubber butt pad, mounted a receiver peep sight, and lived happily ever after.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I'd much prefer the Marlin if it was to be scoped, but otherwise have little preference. Other than scoping, the advantages and disadvantages about balance up. In both cases I would rather have an old one in good condition than a recent product, but that preference perhaps becomes a bit stronger with the Winchester.

The theft story is attempted murder pure and simple. A bit of experimentation blasting bright steel plates with an admixture of salt, sodium chorate etc, and immediate cleaning of the bore with water might have produced something corrosive enough to be worth a chop sandwich or two.

Long ago in Kuwait I used to keep sweets in my mail pigeon-hole, and the Bangladeshi cleaners used to steal just as many as they thought would go unnoticed. I found some joke sweets which stained the mouth bright blue, and a couple of the cleaners found a reason to be elsewhere all afternoon. The funny thing was, I became the only person to get his office immaculately cleaned, for they knew they faced transfer to a far less comfortable job, or worse, if I had gone the official route.

stubbicatt
05-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Yeah, the loss of the samwiches, the cartridges, and the military jacket had to outweigh the "satisfaction" of attempted murder.

modified5
05-15-2016, 10:50 AM
My 30-30's are all M94's. I like the slimmer fore ends and the way they handle.
My Marlin is a 1895 .450 Marlin that I bought as soon as they came out.
Love shooting that boomer!! :-)
But I prefer the way my 94's feel.
Not that I feel one is superior over the other, just personal preference.
I was sorely tempted at Cabelas a while back when they had a nice older 336 on the rack for $350. Just didn't have the funds at the time.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-15-2016, 10:56 AM
I've many Marlins and only a couple Winchesters. The Marlin's are easier to shoot accurately due to scoping ability. BUT I have more Savage 99's than either. The pencil barreled 99 is as light and handy as the Winchester 94 carbine. The Marlin 336 does come in .35 Remington. Of course the featherweight 99 comes in .300 Savage and many other cartridges "superior?" to the .30-30. If you tinker, any/all of them can be made lighter and handier. Mostly I hunt with 99's, .358 for elk, .300 or .308 for smaller stuff. A pencil barreled .303 with the RCBS 180 FN is my 'farm/walk around/truck' gun, my thutty-thutty.

missionary5155
05-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Greetings
I will take a Savage Model 99 over both of those ! Keep your Chevy and Ford... I opt for the Rolls Royce !
Mike in Peru

Char-Gar
05-15-2016, 11:41 AM
I own three Winchester and three Marlins, so obviously I don't think one is "clearly" superior to the other. However, if I owned none and went out to buy only one, it would be a Marlin.

Canuck Bob
05-15-2016, 02:15 PM
My go to hunting rifle for decades was a 444S from the seventies. This rifle is my idea of the perfect Canadian moose rifle. It fit larger than my Winchesters and I liked the pistol grip stock. I find both to be truly outstanding hand carry rifles with receiver sights, my choice. I scoped the 444 for a couple of seasons but pulled it and went back to the Williams FP. I do prefer the side eject port of the Marlin for protection from **** and snow. The top eject of the Winchester makes it a truly left hand action which I like. In the end for moose hunting the Marlin 444, for deer and general carry the Winchester 94 32 Special (superb up close and quick), for plinking and woods loafing a 32-20 92. For Prairie whitetail a scoped BLR in 308, sold a similar 243 hated it. Big deer and 243 are not well suited only in my opinion.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the loss of the samwiches, the cartridges, and the military jacket had to outweigh the "satisfaction" of attempted murder.

Besides, anybody who would slash a jacket isn't a million miles from slashing someone who has blown him up. His preference is clearly for your back being turned at the time. Reporting a further incident to the police could be tricky, too.

If you felt you had to execute some justice, just about a tenth the usual powder charge, and the rest magnesium powder and any of the substances used to give colour in fireworks, seems an entirely reasonable reaction. If he passed those on to a friend, if he has one, he would have some fast talking to do.

Texas by God
05-15-2016, 04:25 PM
I prefer the accuracy of a Marlin but the weight and balance of the Winchester. As stated before by a previous post. My father gave his 1952 Win 94 to me about ten yrs ago and I drilled & tapped it for a Williams 5D. 3 MOA@ 100yds is good enough for hunting with irons. Of course it's my favorite. About the attempted murder of the thief- I would have just gone with an *** whooping. Best, Thomas.

Blackwater
05-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Besides, anybody who would slash a jacket isn't a million miles from slashing someone who has blown him up. His preference is clearly for your back being turned at the time. Reporting a further incident to the police could be tricky, too.

If you felt you had to execute some justice, just about a tenth the usual powder charge, and the rest magnesium powder and any of the substances used to give colour in fireworks, seems an entirely reasonable reaction. If he passed those on to a friend, if he has one, he would have some fast talking to do.

Just for the record, NOWHERE did I say I condoned this, and afterward, he was STILL unrepentant. He too had blown up some guns or seen it done, and likely never figured the guy would get killed. From the looks of it he extracted just about the degree of revenge he wanted, and the thefts stopped, and never resumed. They pretty well knew who it was, and guys like that just seem to live through just about anything. I don't understand how that works, but have observed it often.

Also, this conversation occurred years after the deed had been done. And you guys OBVIOUSLY don't know the value of two pork chop sandwishes to a good ol' boy who's HONGRY! [smilie=l:

And this was during his early, wilder years, before he got married and settled down and became a fine citizen and member of the community. Lots of folks have stories from their wilder, younger days that they're just glad that fortune let them survive. At that point, most can see the humor in all the craziness of such doings. Not everyone, but most.

Char-Gar
05-15-2016, 05:45 PM
What the gentleman with the Bullseye loaded 30-30s didn't know, but should have know, is he was guilty of a major felony and perhaps even murder, depending on the nature of the injury to the thief. Not electric chair murder, but good for 25 to life in Texas. No lunch is worth that.

northmn
05-15-2016, 07:32 PM
As to the Winchester/Marlin issue, the Marlin is mechanically superior to the Winchester. They developed the side eject before scopes were commonly used to keep crud out of the action. I have a 92 Rossi, essentially a Winchester 92 and I carry it often on my tractor/4 wheeler and I see the dirt settle on the top if not cased. Saying that I enjoy the little Rossi quite a bit. I have a Marlin 94 in 32-20 and really question whether a 92 would be superior as the Marlin is light weight and very smooth and accurate. It also has Ballard rifling and shoots about anything I run through it.
I have a old 336 30-30 with Ballard rifling and it also shoots cast very well. I had a 30-30 Marlin CB with a 24 inch barrel and it was a fantastic rifle which I ended up giving my daughter as she shot her first few deer with it. I have another Marlin CB in 38-55 and it is about the nicest lever rifle I own. Fore end is slimmer and it is a very accurate rifle with cast. Most Marlins are so smooth that I have checked the chamber to make sure if they chambered a round. My old 35 Remington is a old 24 inch barrel with Ballard rifling and is one of my favorite rifles.
I like Winchesters also and have owned a couple of 94's and with peep sights they are great. I like the Rossi as a fun rifle and it is essentially a Winchester, Wish they would make a similar 94 copy. An ideal deer rifle for my neck of the woods would be the Marlin CB 30-30 or a similar 24 inch barrel Marlin with a scope shooting the new Hornady LE loads.

DEP

dragon813gt
05-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Greetings
I will take a Savage Model 99 over both of those ! Keep your Chevy and Ford... I opt for the Rolls Royce !
Mike in Peru

I used to grab a 99R in 300 Savage all the time. Now I typically grab an 1894C. W/ the size of the deer and typical ranges it's more than enough rifle. It's so much handier to carry afield. Also have a 336 in 35 Remington that gets out more than the 99s. I have my pick of quite a few 99s yet I usually grab a Marlin :)

6pt-sika
05-15-2016, 08:00 PM
I don't care what brand it is if I'm able to buy it sell it and make a profit . If I'm going to shoot it on paper and use it to kill deer I prefer a Marlin .

Guesser
05-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I've owned and used several of both, in 30-30 and several other calibers. About 20 years ago I came into a Savage 99H? in 30-30, dates to 1936. Because of that Savage I now no longer own any Winchester or Marlin lever gun in 30-30. They just faded away from lack of use. The Savage 99 in 30-30 does everything better than any one of the other 2 brands.

tim338
05-15-2016, 09:29 PM
I too have a Savage 99 takedown in 30/30 with a lyman tang peep sight. It's my favorite cast bullet rifle by far.

Texas by God
05-15-2016, 10:08 PM
I would like to clarify a bit my previous post. I've owned and shot many Marlins and if Dad had bought a Marlin back in 1952- it would be my favorite! That said I still love my Winchester and with cast boolits it is my favorite turkey gun. My favorite Marlins are the CB models and would love a 38-55. By the way Dad is 86 now and his only center fire rifle is a Marlin 1894CL .218 Bee with a 4x scope and it's a true 1" shooter. And finally a late family friend who worked the bridge gang for Rock Island RR told us about a lunch thief on their crew. One of the victims carefully unwrapped a chocolate bar at home and melted some chocolate flavored ExLax on the bottom of the bar and repackaged it. The next day at lunch break he claimed to be full and gave the candy to the perp who eagerly accepted it. A bit later he ran for the woods- but didn't make it!! Best,Thomas.

OverMax
05-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Its all about reputation.
Winchester "The Gun that Won the West"
Marlin " ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

Ballistics in Scotland
05-16-2016, 04:19 AM
I would like to clarify a bit my previous post. I've owned and shot many Marlins and if Dad had bought a Marlin back in 1952- it would be my favorite! That said I still love my Winchester and with cast boolits it is my favorite turkey gun. My favorite Marlins are the CB models and would love a 38-55. By the way Dad is 86 now and his only center fire rifle is a Marlin 1894CL .218 Bee with a 4x scope and it's a true 1" shooter. And finally a late family friend who worked the bridge gang for Rock Island RR told us about a lunch thief on their crew. One of the victims carefully unwrapped a chocolate bar at home and melted some chocolate flavored ExLax on the bottom of the bar and repackaged it. The next day at lunch break he claimed to be full and gave the candy to the perp who eagerly accepted it. A bit later he ran for the woods- but didn't make it!! Best,Thomas.

There is a big difference between leaving it to be stolen, which would be enterprise and ingenuity in the service of humanity, and even the mildest kind of poisoning by deception. Still, it isn't a 25-year to life case, and perhaps only one of waiting till a policeman can keep his face straight.

Shawlerbrook
05-16-2016, 05:54 AM
I own and love them both. As said, the Msrlin is superior for a scope and much easier to tear down and put back together. But you can't beat the Winchester as far as it's ease in carrying and shouldering, much like a " big boy's " Red Ryder. Actually years back, someone did controlled destruction tests with both, and the Winchester actually did better. Slim Iorg over at Marlinowners and Beartooth had the details. It is surprising considering the Marlin solid receiver. Could be that the Winchester does not contain the pressure as much as the Marlin. Just a guess.

richhodg66
05-16-2016, 05:59 AM
Greetings
Mike in Peru

Amen and amen.

Actually, I have at least a couple of each. Between the two, I think I like '94s better, but not for any logical reason, just seem to like them better, but all are very good guns.

John Taylor
05-16-2016, 10:14 AM
As far as strength goes I don't think there is much difference unless the Winchester is a takedown model. Winchester had better advertisement back in the day so it became more popular. Consider the 25-35 and 25-36, the winchester ammo would fit ether gun but the Marlin ammo would not fit the Winchester. Winchester had a bit of a head start over Marlin so it's name was out there sooner. I do think the Marlin design is a bit better but they both seem to get the job done.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-16-2016, 10:46 AM
As far as strength goes I don't think there is much difference unless the Winchester is a takedown model. Winchester had better advertisement back in the day so it became more popular. Consider the 25-35 and 25-36, the winchester ammo would fit ether gun but the Marlin ammo would not fit the Winchester. Winchester had a bit of a head start over Marlin so it's name was out there sooner. I do think the Marlin design is a bit better but they both seem to get the job done.

I think you have something there. The toggle-joint Winchesters got in ahead of any lever-action Marlins, and 86 and its friends and relations made it just a nose ahead of the Marlin equivalents.

Torture testing of rifles can be deceptive, for it can take a very slight difference in conditions to change the order in which they fail. PO Ackley's famous test with the barrel unscrewed one thread or two, to give grossly excessive headspace, and even with the locking lug removed, don't really prove a thing about strength. He used the .30-30 Improved, which held pressure by adhesion of the case in the chamber. Why don't we do that all the time, since bolts and locking systems are such a nuisance and expense? Because it could be greatly altered by an oily or perhaps even wet chamber, or any of the ways handloaders and factories sometimes produce higher pressures.

Artful
05-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Quick check by numbers shows
1 Savage 99 in 358
3 Winchester or clones thereof
4 Marlins
but I would take the Savage first choice then Marlins then Winchesters
Guess I should look for another Savage 99 or two but that 358 just does so well with cast
I never seem to see the need.

Blackwater
05-16-2016, 12:14 PM
What the gentleman with the Bullseye loaded 30-30s didn't know, but should have know, is he was guilty of a major felony and perhaps even murder, depending on the nature of the injury to the thief. Not electric chair murder, but good for 25 to life in Texas. No lunch is worth that.

You're absolutely right, of course, but every murder case I ever worked was all about the passions of the moment, and not any cerebral considerations. I was just really glad my friend changed his earlier ways. He grew up rough in a rough time and place. His grandad had been the Sheriff once. Had he not changed considerably, he wouldn't be my friend then or now. Not everyone starts out as good citizens, and I'm just thankful for those who DO learn to become ones.

Just related that story here to point up the alleged difference between the strength of the two actions, at least according to one guy. The Marlin/Win. debate has a long and rich history, and at various times and places, one gets panned while the other gets praised. Just wondered what a diverse group like ours had to say on the issue.

olafhardt
05-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Model 94 Winchester, 1970's vintage. I have never heard of one wearing out nor have I heard of a 336 wearing out. The 94 is lighter, better balanced for me and carries better. I like that it drops the empties at my feet. I regard scopes on a lever action like saddles on hogs. I don't find it to difficult to dissasemble. Now if it doesn't rattle it is broke. In 30 30 or similar cartridges it is plenty strong and the 94 is plenty accurate for what I do.

Pine Baron
05-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Scoped Marlin 336, .35 Rem., side eject, smooth action, just seems like more beef. Winchester top eject always seems more distracting.

fiberoptik
05-16-2016, 05:56 PM
I had a problem with a thief in our garage a few nights. Emptied shot from a .410, replaced with rock salt. He showed up at 1:30sh, broke in & looked around. When he stepped out I salted his a$$ good. Next morning at the bus stop my neighbor from around the corner was rubbing his nether region profusely. I told him next time was gonna be lead! With that said I love my Marlin 39a, Win 94 30-30 next, then my shortened Krag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TNsailorman
05-16-2016, 06:34 PM
I have owned and like both Marlin and Winchester. I once owned a Winchester Classic with a 26" octagon barrel and like a brain dead idiot, I sold it to buy something else. Right now I have a 336 RC in 30-30 and really like it. But I have to agree with Mike, I'll take a Savage 99 over either of them. But all three will get the job done. My experience anyway.

OnHoPr
05-16-2016, 06:52 PM
The Winny 94 to me is faster handling, sleeker, and lighter. The Marlin just feels heavy and cumbersome. It really doesn't matter though if you really don't even have to load your gun until you get to your blind. While slipping it makes a difference. Since I am a southpaw the side mount scope is preferred because I don't like see thru scope mounts. Since these guns can shoot past a hundred yards a scope is necessary in todays time with having to count points in many regions whether more open woods or thicker woods. In addition, foul or maybe nice weather from different opinions standpoint when it is snowing. When snow gets in the scope the irons are there.

The 30-30 is not really a foul weather gun though considering rain. With cast or jacketed it is only adequate for mild condition woods like popple, mixed, and oak. I would stay away from hard tracking ground with it. It is in no way capable of going into a cedar swamp grunting and rattling for 250 lb animals that could come in on you from any angle and only give you a couple of seconds for a shot. It also has its limitations when property lines come into play. It will do fine for picking off a deer 50 yds away on a feed pile and you are in your cozy blind most generally.

The Big Bore 94 or equivalent, an older 444 Marlin, 45-70 would be better guns for dependability on game whether cast or jacketed. The 99 in a 284 or case based cartridge along with maybe a 358 if cast is to be solely used would even be better choices.

Multigunner
05-16-2016, 07:10 PM
I don't cotton to lever actions much, an old injury makes operating a lever action painful and awkward.
The Marlin is easier for me to operate, the pistol grip stock versions at least. One of the most accurate centerfire rifles I've ever fired was a Marlin in .30-30. It had a nice 3-9X variable scope and handled like a dream.
For a pistol caliber lever action I'd prefer the Model 92 Winchester.

For a lever action .22 RF the Marlin is an old favorite. My older brother had one since around 1970 and his son still has it. Some new .22 LA rifles may be technically better in some ways, but none have the feel of that old Marlin.
The Glenfield .30-30 with half length mag tube is another nice one, seems very lightweight to me. A good no frills deer gun.

koger
05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
With 30+ years bench experience as a gunsmith, former gunstore owner, this is where I am at. 9 out of 10 times, pre remlin marlins have shot better thatn Winchesters, sandbagged, scope or irons. Ever so often, a real shooter comes along in Winchester, Zeroed one Angle eject 30/30, ranger economy model, that would shoot 1" groups with boring regularity, 3 shots, had a Super X limited addition that shot2-3" at 100yds with iron sights. Have had many 336's in 30/30 an 35 rem shoot right at 1" groups with factory amm0, decent 3x9 scopes, good steel bases and rings. 1895's, regular and guide guns, especially the first few years guide guns that were ported shoot way too good for their short tubes, 1"' an under for one I currently own. Marlins are made better, don't carry as well and as light as Win. 94. Just my 2 cents.

TXGunNut
05-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Savages are a bit hard to find around here so I have mostly Winchesters and Marlins. I love an old Winchester but the Marlins have put a lot of meat in the freezer.

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Quick check by numbers shows
1 Savage 99 in 358
3 Winchester or clones thereof
4 Marlins
but I would take the Savage first choice then Marlins then Winchesters
Guess I should look for another Savage 99 or two but that 358 just does so well with cast
I never seem to see the need.

If you want a second 358 Cabela's Hamburg had one on their Gun Library. At least they did when I was there early last week. Price was $1179 and I know they won't budge on price. Didn't inspect it because my son was acting up and I wanted to get him out of the store. It may still be there for anyone that has an interest. I should have bought it but my 99E w/ a JES rebore works well and it's exactly what I wanted.

shoot-n-lead
05-16-2016, 10:25 PM
The Winny 94 to me is faster handling, sleeker, and lighter. The Marlin just feels heavy and cumbersome. It really doesn't matter though if you really don't even have to load your gun until you get to your blind. While slipping it makes a difference. Since I am a southpaw the side mount scope is preferred because I don't like see thru scope mounts. Since these guns can shoot past a hundred yards a scope is necessary in todays time with having to count points in many regions whether more open woods or thicker woods. In addition, foul or maybe nice weather from different opinions standpoint when it is snowing. When snow gets in the scope the irons are there.

The 30-30 is not really a foul weather gun though considering rain. With cast or jacketed it is only adequate for mild condition woods like popple, mixed, and oak. I would stay away from hard tracking ground with it. It is in no way capable of going into a cedar swamp grunting and rattling for 250 lb animals that could come in on you from any angle and only give you a couple of seconds for a shot. It also has its limitations when property lines come into play. It will do fine for picking off a deer 50 yds away on a feed pile and you are in your cozy blind most generally.

The Big Bore 94 or equivalent, an older 444 Marlin, 45-70 would be better guns for dependability on game whether cast or jacketed. The 99 in a 284 or case based cartridge along with maybe a 358 if cast is to be solely used would even be better choices.

Give us a break...nonsense...utter nonsense.

Boy, I do love gun forums...get to see all of this carp posted, for fact.

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 10:39 PM

Somehow I missed the post you quoted. I never realized you can only use a 30-30 in nice weather. I need a time machine. I want to go back in time and tell all the deer, that were shot w/ a 30-30 in inclement weather, to shrug it off because it only kills in SOS(sunny over seventy) weather :laugh:

Ballistics in Scotland
05-17-2016, 04:33 AM

Oh, no more than nearly-utter, surely. I believe cases with a lot of taper do respond worse to a wet chamber. It is worth it for this marvelous mental image, possibly perverse, of a .30-30 rifle grunting and rattling. I have never known one to grunt.

shdwlkr
05-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Winchesters only good if you know how to use them, from my experience most firearms work in the rain, snow, whatever if you know how to deal with weather that is. I like winchesters mainly because that was the first lever I had and it just seemed to meet my needs. I have marlins now and they seem nice at least the ones I have and have handled do. I have never had a marlin 336, the ones I have used or handled are the mdl 39a, mdl 62, a 45-70 and I liked them all.

When looking at which is better, it is more important which one works best for you and that is the one to get. I don't think either is really that much better than the other when you really get down to it. Yes the marlin is easier to put a scope on, but other than that they both shoot 30-30 rounds and are limited by the round and the shooter's ability to hit what is aimed at and the distance, weather, wind
My .03 cents on the topic

northmn
05-17-2016, 10:51 AM
There are a few Savage 99 followers on this thread. I had one in 300 SAvage and looked at one in 243 recently. Good price on the 243 BUT I remembered how miserable the 300 was. First I am left handed and the safety location on the lever was almost unreachable for still hunting which I do on occasion. The trigger pull was not all that great and inconsistant. They do not balance and carry as well as either a Marlin or Winchester. As to being the Cadilac of lever guns I consider them the Edsel. I now either shoot a Marlin 336 or a 94. Every gun has a following but I do not buy into the hypes on the Savages. I prefer a good bolt action if I am going to use anything over a 336 offering. No one has jumped on buying their patent and reproducing them like the 92, 73 or 336 Marlin as in the Rossi.

DEP

Blackwater
05-17-2016, 02:34 PM
As to the reliability factor in inclement weather or conditions, I think the issue falls back to the question of whether it's better to seal a gun up like with say, an M-16, or whether it's better to have it open so it can throw/leak out any debris or foreign matter that might be present, as in the M-14 and 1911's. Personally, I've always found it more dependent on the specifics of the given gun design and the specific circumstances, but that's just me. So many things at issue when it comes to reliability depend on what one is envisioning, that I doubt this issue will ever be settled as long as man is still alive on the planet. Just seems kind'a natural to me that if it's a question with no real resolution, that kind'a makes it clear that we need a new question, one more dependent on each given firearm's particulars, rather than theoretical questions that really also depend on specific designs rather than on general principles. But that's just my view, of course. Each has its own sets of advantages and disadvantages.

Leftys may like the Win's because of the top ejection. Nobody's mentioned that one yet, I don't think? Personal preferences between them are very subjective, and mine is generally for the lighter, quicker, faster M-94, but what man can NOT like the Marlins, also? Surely he'd not be a real, bona fide gun nut, like most of us here? I'm now wanting a .35 Rem Texan, but have been looking for one here for years, and those who have them ain't lettin' 'em go, so .... I'm still looking. Not terribly diligently, but keeping my eyes peeled for one. I think those had an 18 1/2" barrel, didn't they? Anybody remember those?

Char-Gar
05-17-2016, 02:48 PM

Amen and amen! Lots of carp around here. You just have to wonder where they come up with this stuff for it sure isn't through experience.

TXGunNut
05-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Amen and amen! Lots of carp around here. You just have to wonder where they come up with this stuff for it sure isn't through experience.

One more amen, lol. I'm still looking for a levergun I don't like. I do have a few old Winchesters that I won't take out in bad weather but I'm willing to bet they've been there, done that.

northmn
05-18-2016, 08:52 AM
I am reminded of a story of an older shooter in the depression times that a friends uncle owned a 94 in 32 special that carried it everywhere with him, even to the out house. Back then games laws were kind of loosely followed and money scarce. A box of shells was considered about 18-20 deer. One could sell farm animals and make money, deer were cheap and one did not have to butcher a hog or beef one could sell. I doubt if they thought about the top eject system as sights were often a receiver sight with the aperature thrown away. The 94 has its own appeal that hard to overcome (for me) . The Marlin is more adaptable to a scope, if one wants to scope a rifle the Marlin is better. Many of us with older eyes appreciate a scope.
As to the BS of the need to use a bigger caliber to put them down close to property lines, after 50 years of deer hunting never found any rifles that worked that way. Kind of liked the cast bullet laod in a 30-30 as it did nto destroy too much meat in a shoulder shot that did put them down.

DEP

bichettereds
05-18-2016, 11:30 AM
I like the Winchester because its a Winchester, but the design of 336 imo is a superior design. I guess if I could only one one rifle and those were my two choices Id go with the Marlin.

rintinglen
05-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Amazing how feeble the 30-30 has become. My grandfather killed a Moose in Ontario cerca 1914 with his Winchester carbine. IIRC, he is standing next to the carcass, in woolen hunting gear in about a foot of snow in the picture that used to hang in his basement office. Nowadays it is only good for shooting small deer over feed.
My preference is slight, but I am a winchester guy, more because of the familial connections than any real merit. I own both,but if I had to choose only one, it would be my 1953 94.

OuchHot!
05-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Given today's production; which brand is best made?.....yeah, I know things have gone down hill.

richhodg66
05-19-2016, 07:40 PM
If you want a second 358 Cabela's Hamburg had one on their Gun Library. At least they did when I was there early last week. Price was $1179 and I know they won't budge on price. Didn't inspect it because my son was acting up and I wanted to get him out of the store. It may still be there for anyone that has an interest. I should have bought it but my 99E w/ a JES rebore works well and it's exactly what I wanted.

Please don't say that around me, I have a good 99E in .308 I have been fighting hard to resist the urge to have JES rebore to .358.

I do have a .358 Savage 99 and I really like it. It cost me a pretty penny to get it, I wanted it bad and am still glad I got it. It is the Brush Gun version with the straight wrist and beaver tail forend, and is about as close to the perfect deer rifle as exists at least for my style of hunting.

Two things about it I'd change if I could; I'd prefer (slightly) a pistol grip stock, and I like the trigger safety as opposed to the tang safety and both of those would be solved by reboring that 99E. Guess I'll have to find another one to do that with someday.

HangFireW8
05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Oh, no more than nearly-utter, surely. I believe cases with a lot of taper do respond worse to a wet chamber. It is worth it for this marvelous mental image, possibly perverse, of a .30-30 rifle grunting and rattling. I have never known one to grunt.

An amusing mental image, for sure.

For clarification, using grunt calls and rattling antlers are two ways of calling in Whitetail deer. One involves using one hand and the other both hands. I live near enough to swamps. I do not hunt Whitetail deer there, because they taste bad.

No comment on the rest of his... opinion.

Outpost75
05-19-2016, 10:23 PM
I've owned .30-30s in the Savage 99, 219 and 340, Winchester 54, 94 and 1894, and Marlin 1893, 36 and 336.

Liked them all.

These days have only the 1942 vintage 94 and a barrel for the H&R Handi-Rifle.

Like the man said, Ford or Chevy... Combat accurate, if you're a cowboy.

200 yards, iron sights on F silhouette:

1895gunner
05-19-2016, 10:52 PM
I've bought a bunch of Winchesters and Marlins and they are both great however I've turned more towards the Marlins because I like the 1998 - 2002 Factory ported Guide Guns & Outfitters. Here is a pic of some of my Guides/Outfitters.

444P - 444 Marlin
1895G - 45/70 Government
1895G - 45/70 Government
1895GS - 45/70 Government
1895M - 450 Marlin

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g441/1895gunner/5GuideGuns-b.jpg (http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/1895gunner/media/5GuideGuns-b.jpg.html)

1895gunner

Texas by God
05-20-2016, 12:07 AM
1895gunner you are a show off. I am jealous. Thanks for showing them off! Best, Thomas.

Texas by God
05-20-2016, 12:20 AM

The Big Bore 94 or equivalent, an older 444 Marlin, 45-70 would be better guns for dependability on game whether cast or jacketed. The 99 in a 284 or case based cartridge along with maybe a 358 if cast is to be solely used would even be better choices. Wow. Those 250 lb deer must be tougher than all those elk and moose and bears that have fallen to the 30-30. Just sayin'. Best,Thomas.

beechbum444
05-20-2016, 12:42 AM
I Like both the Win 94 and the Marlin. The Win seems to have a little rattle to it, but I like it. The Marlin seems a little more solid. After reading this post, I have to find a Savage 99.

M-Tecs
05-20-2016, 12:52 AM

I think you forget the purple font.

Geezer in NH
05-21-2016, 08:49 PM
Marlin is my choice easy takedown and able to clean barrel from the breech.

My 30/30 is a win 94 chose because I bought it for $200 bucks.

Pain in the butt to disassemble don't cha know.

Crash_Corrigan
05-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Regarding Lunch Thief: Back in the day (circa '66) I was a Patrolman in the NYC Police Department and somebody was stealing my lunch from the refrigerator we had in the basement. Three days in a row my meat loaf goodies were purloined. On day four I made a special sandwich. Thanks to the St. Bernard pup of my neighbor I was able to get some fresh doggie poo. This I carefully made into a nice sandwich and I placed it in the refrigerator. Along came lunchtime and my sandwich was gone. I went to the deli next door and bought one and brought it back to the lunchroom where I ate it. During this period a fellow officer jumped up screaming and ran to the bathroom and failed to make it before he barfed up his stolen sandwich. He was mad, really mad and he was cussin' and carrying on for some time while I was rolling on the floor laughing my butt off.

Years earlier I had borrowed my Grandpa's vintage Winchester 30-30 Carbine with 170 gr loadings and practiced shooting it. It seemed to have a heavy recoil to me. Of course at that time I probably tipped the scales at a hefty 110 lbs ( I was maybe 13) and I could not hit anything with it. Years later I stumbled onto a Win 94 in 32 Special which I found inaccurate and pretty much useless out here in Nevada. I sold it off and made a nice profit as it had been gifted to me. I fell into a great deal and picked up a Win 94 30-30 (1929 vintage) from the original owner along with a Baker 12 Gauge sxs for a grand total of $100.

Again not having much use for a long barreled 12 gauge I had it cut down to a 18 1/4 barrel and it became my truck gun. I kept the 94 and messed around with cast bullets and found it to be a reliable and easy handling carbine with a very high fun factor. Loaded down with a 140 gr cast boolit it was fun to shoot, had little recoil and was accurate to about 2 inches at 60 yds. Beyond 100 it just dropped too much for it to be reliable on a 6 inch target. It would have been great on a deer if I could find a deer in Las Vegas.

Then I found a Marlin 336 CB in 38-55 which I had to have. I paid a lot of bucks for it from a member but it was worth it. The cartridge is a joy to reload for and very easy on the pocket book. I even made up some homemade blackpowder and althought slower to reload for it was a hoot to shoot and always brought over a bunch of loookie lous when I was shooting it at a range. Then I started to get serious about getting some accuracy out of it. I added a rear tang sight and I was off to the races. I am at the point now where I can reliably get 7 shots out of 10 to hit a steel gong of 12" at 300 yds if I am carefull. At 200 yds I am good for a certain hit.

Yes the Winchester is a more comfortable and easy handling weapon but the Marlin is more accurate and is also fun to shoot. I have no preference in the this regard. Both are good but the Marlin in 38-55 is a better choice for me as a target shooter.

EDG
05-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Depending on the case to act as brake to reduce the force on the action is not a recommended engineering approach.
If the little bit of taper causes you a problem you should look at the long skinny springy components of the action that are under stress.

EDG
05-22-2016, 03:39 PM
I owned a M94 Bigbore and a M375 Marlin at the same time. The herky jerky motion of the Winchester reminded me of an early 1960s Chevrolet bumper jack.
The Marlin is much smoother to operate. I have 3 Marlins, in different calibers now, and NO Winchester 94 of any kind.

In addition to the smoother function, they are drilled and tapped and are pistol grip rifles.

claude
05-22-2016, 04:32 PM
I like the winchester 94 because..........you know,.........it ain't a big fat ol' club.[smilie=w:HEH.

Nose Dive
05-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Guys...need help with instructions on dissemble, cleaning on a Marlin 30-30 from the late 70s. was older brothers rifle.... what do I need to tell you on what I need?

Nose Dive

Cheap, fast, good. Kindly pick two.

PS..Opinions on a 44.40?
PS..Opinions no a 45.70
PS..Opinions on a 44 MAG
Ps..Opinions on a 45 Long colt
PS.. Can we buy/have a lever in 10MM?

Opinions I am interested is in...White tail deer in lower 48... (100 to 125 yards)
Suitability for pistol load and same caliber rifle load (bullet and powder charge) load for pistol and rifle..
Suitability for RIFLE Load for ELK...USA and CANADA...

and 10MM for all and anything... Have rolled all 36spl,,380s...357s...and below to 10MM....no revolvers...
Glocks with after market long barrels and no porting.... Still have 45LC Ruger revolvers as were Dads.
I reload all except 22s and shotgun. Load 10mms Hot with barnes X boolits and some castings i make.

Have dies for 45.90 and am interested in that too... ND

Nose Dive

Mk42gunner
05-23-2016, 12:12 AM
To answer the original question about 30-30's; I like the way a Winchester 94 handles, but I think the Marlins are a bit more accurate on average. My current .30-30 is a Marlin Model 30AW, with slimmed down forearm.

For pistol caliber carbines, 20" or less, the Winchester 92 and its clones are better to me than either the Marlin 1894 or the Winchester 94AE.

Nose dive,

To take a Marlin down for cleaning, open the action about halfway, remove the lever pivot screw and pull the lever out the bottom. Then pull the bolt out with your fingers, don't lose the ejector, clean the bore then reassemble, making sure you put the ejector back in place.

I haven't had either a .44-40 or a .44 mag in a rifle so no opinion.

The .45-70 in a Marlin can be loaded from shoot all day fun levels to one or two is enough fun.

.45 Colt lever guns can be fun, or loaded up for fairly serious power.

There is already a lever action in 10mm (or its functional equivalent), it is called the .38-40 or .38WCF if you want to get technical.

Robert

TXGunNut
05-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Robert is spot on with his 336 cleaning tutorial. Of your choices the 45-70 makes the most sense, especially if a big hog wanders by. Quite honestly the 44WCF, 38WCF, 45 Colt and 43 Mag will probably work just fine, I just happen to prefer the 45-70.

Lonegun1894
05-23-2016, 01:36 AM

Even my flintlock muzzleloader works fine in bad weather, or at least as bad as I'm willing to hunt in, and that is just about anything. It has worked just fine when sand storms came through when I was stationed in Southern AZ, and it has also worked fine here in Central TX the many times when it was raining sideways. I would absolutely love to see the .30-30 that you saw fail due to some bad weather, and would bet that it wasn't the gun that failed, but rather the hunter. In fact, the only way I see the .30-30 levergun failing at anything that it has any business even attempting, is if the hunter just has no clue what he is doing and has no business hunting. Always convenient to blame the equipment for our failings though, isn't it?

The caliber is just fine, and I hunt swamps, fields, and anything in between. I also take 200-250 pound hogs out of those swamps after killing them with a .22LR pistol, so the .30-30 is MORE than adequate for anything I need. Yes, I have bigger and smaller calibers, but there isn't anything I couldn't take with my .30-30 if it wasn't for game laws that say not to (like for example waterfowl, spring turkey, etc).

As to which is better between a Winchester and a Marlin, I don't know. I have both, several of each in fact, and see them as equals. The Winchester was my first hunting rifle (and is where the 1894 in my call-sign comes from), but I have fed myself with both. In fact, I think we can discuss the specific differences between them, and each have preferences for certain features, but unless one of those features wins you over, it doesn't matter. For example, as has been said, the Marlin 336 has a closed top, ejects out the side, and is easier to mount a scope on, but is a bit heavier and possibly slower. It also has 1:10" twist, and at least usually, Micro-groove rifling. A Winchester 1894 on the other hand, has an open top, ejects out the top, is a bit lighter and faster, and has standard rifling with a 1:12" twist. Personally, I have shot all mine side by side trying to figure out which I like better, and it just depends on what kind of mood I am in that day as to which one goes hunting with me.

05-23-2016, 04:07 AM
All my lever centre fires wear scopes in QD mounts, probably why they are all marlins. Having dinner plate sized hands I also like the fatter fore end.

HangFireW8
05-24-2016, 07:22 PM
I wonder how G&H Sporter owners would think about the Marlin forearm being considered "fat".

starmac
05-25-2016, 01:20 AM
Everybody has their preferences, I prefer a 99 savage first, especially if I am going to scope it, The win second , then the marlin. That said I own more marlins than the others, and don't plan on getting rid of any of them, most especially the 45/70, 308, mx and the 45 colt or even the lowly 39A 22.
I reckon I just like lever actions.

1895gunner
05-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Everybody has their preferences, I prefer a 99 savage first, especially if I am going to scope it, The win second , then the marlin. That said I own more marlins than the others, and don't plan on getting rid of any of them, most especially the 45/70, 308, mx and the 45 colt or even the lowly 39A 22.
I reckon I just like lever actions.

That said just right - I like my levers too!

1895gunner

gnoahhh
05-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Another vote for the Savage lever gun over all the rest. "Once you've tried Savage you never go back!" I haven't messed with a Winchester or Marlin for thirty years, ever since I discovered the joys of the Savage rifle.

TXGunNut
05-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Life's too short to choose one levergun. Get several of each, try them all. Send me the ones you don't like.:kidding:

.45colt
05-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Buy all of them you can afford. get out and shoot them. what works in your 20's may not when We get older. I have had several eye surgery's this year and am thrilled to be able to see again. don't ever take your vision for granted. Marlin or Winchester don't matter. just shoot them.

smkummer
05-26-2016, 05:55 PM
I could not pass up a 1962 94 in 30-30 a few years ago that wasn't listed as a pre-64 and I got it for under $300. Good, I finally have a pre-64 Winchester in 30-30. I sure wished I didn't pass on a early 50's Marlin 30-30 with ballard rifling (since I mainly shoot cast bullets) for $275 about the same time but I didn't think I needed 2 guns that did the same thing. Sure that marlin had a fat forearm but the pistol grip feels good and a broke in marlin is smooth. When you lower the lever on a 94 Winchester, it feels like the guts come out of it. The Winchester feels smaller though.

pull the trigger
09-05-2016, 12:37 PM
I can recall nine Marlin levers in my safe. I dont even look at Winchester anything. I met an old man years ago that tested firearms for the federal government. He told me the Marlins were always of the highest quality no matter the year manufactured. Other manufacturers were always hit and miss. Thats what got me started

braddonovan67
09-07-2016, 10:37 AM
I own a Mossberg 464. Bought it 6 years ago for 365$. Sold it to my brother. He sold it to my father-in-law. I traded a 30-06 for a Savage 99 in .308 and traded it for the Mossberg back. Should never have sold it in the first place. Love that gun. Low I am casting for it. As soon as the tap comes in its getting a Williams peep too. :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jmort
09-07-2016, 11:08 AM
+1 on the Mossberg 464
Best deal out there. I need another. Have Henry, Mossberg, Marlin, Remlin and Winchester. The Mossberg is the one I would keep over the others.

northmn
09-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Just bought a 464 and am glad to read some good things about it. If you are left handed do not even look at a Savage unless it a newer one with a tang sight. That lever safety is about a unhandy as I have ever seen. Traded my Savage off for a bolt action and will never look at one again. The 464 is basically like a Winchester angle eject and so far looks promising.
I have an old Marlin 336 waffle top and should have D&T it for a scope but collectors really scream about that. Have another old waffle top 35 that came D&T and it works very well. I could make a good argument that the Marlin XTL or something like that with its longer barrel would be about as good a deer rifle as you can get if scoped. The 308 Marlin is about the same as a 300 Savage and even the 30-30 with the newer gummy tips from Horandy is not all bad.

DP

Prairie Cowboy
09-09-2016, 11:03 PM
My preference is for JM Marlins. I've owned several JM Marlins and Winnies both over the years, including a pre-64 94 carbine in .32 Special. The Winnie action I like for it's Browning engineered design. The Marlin I like for it's styling, smoothness and the single-pivot lever.
My only Marlin now is a time capsule JM 336C from the Marlin vault, when JM sold everything off prior to the Remington move. It's a 1969 rifle and virtually new.
It's the only rifle that I never had to adjust the sights on, and it shoots tight groups at 100 yards.

Lead pot
09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
I always favored the Marlins. I have had several during my time and most I sold to get something else. I only regret selling a couple like the .25-20 and the Mod. 62 with the short action .256 Win Mag. I also have the 99 Savages, kept the .300 savage. I never cared for the 94 Win because it was hard to take apart after shooting black powder in it and I had to squeeze the lever hard to let the hammer drop. The 99 savages, .22HP .300 and the .358 where fine rifles and you didn't have to stick with the flat nosed bullets, but cleaning from the muzzle or snake.
I just picked up this fine 93 in the .30-30. It looks like it spent most of it's life in a closet. Very little wear on the moving parts like it has not been shot much or the lever worked. Some of the case color is still on and the barrel is pristine like new. The four digit Sn. takes it back to 1883 but the .30-30 caliber did not come out till just before the turn of the century. Also the butplate is unusual for this rifle. I only have looked at three with one like it.
But marlin used a lot of parts off the shelves.
I load it with a full case of black and it shoots quite well with a 170 gr cast bullet.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2793_zpsjf9tlqwa.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2793_zpsjf9tlqwa.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2794_zpsxa5rr9gs.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2794_zpsxa5rr9gs.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2798_zpsr3pjaba7.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2798_zpsr3pjaba7.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2799_zps9kexf7uv.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2799_zps9kexf7uv.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_7e74bee3-369c-435c-82cf-7c40b0eefc1d_zps24rua0my.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/7e74bee3-369c-435c-82cf-7c40b0eefc1d_zps24rua0my.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2796_zpsbqdcnmwx.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2796_zpsbqdcnmwx.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2803_zpsupe1idcm.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2803_zpsupe1idcm.jpg.html)

It pulled a little right but that is fixed. :)

Lead pot
09-14-2016, 07:22 PM
PB. Thank you. 93 is good enough for me. :)

Hey I remember Phineas T Bluster, but I liked Linda Marsh as Princess Summerfall Winterspring better :)

Blackwater
09-14-2016, 07:54 PM
FWIW, if anything, some of the comments about some models don't apply across the board to all modifications of some of the leverguns. On the M-99 Sav's for example, later models have a top safety something like that on double barrel shotguns, that are equally handy and quick for both right and left handers. Also, for those who "don't like Winchesters," if you ever get your hands on a pre-WWII model 94, and actually shoot it, I think you'd be VERY surprised. I've only owned one M-99 and one pre-WWII M-94, but in both cases, I was very positively impressed with both of these guns. I'd love to have another of each model again!

And when it comes to Marlin vs. Win., I'll take the pre-64 M-94's if and when I can just FIND one for sale around here, but day in and day out, the Marlins tend to be more consistent as to accuracy and function. They're just a tad heavier, and thicker through the forearms, which is good for shooting but bad for carrying, so it's really a tossup, though I like the lighter, more slender and slightly thinner M-94's made prior to '64 as a general rule. But that's simply because when I carry a levergun, carrying and stowability and handling becomes my chief priorities. Those who hunt the north woods seem to have long preferred the Marlins because the extra wt and different balance make them swing better for shooting at running deer, which will always be rather tricky at its best. It's easy for this southern flatlander to understand why the .35 Rem. M-336's have dominated the north woods. Here in the south, where "jump shots" are close and cover is never far away, the lighter, slightly quicker M-94's tend to dominate. "Form follows function" always seem to be something the majority find appealing simply through experience and over time.

But in the end, it's all about personal preference, I think, and I'm comfortable with either one in my hands. And both are great guns, IMO. The Savage 99 is really in a class all by itself. Different, and very highly useful in most any situation, even for longer range shooting, usually. The strange thing about leverguns is there really aren't any "bad" ones that come to mind, other than maybe individual specimens that have been abused or neglected. Each one has its own set of peculiarities that suit some and not others, but quality of manufacture and fitting have varied through the years. The first 336's for instance, after Rem. started putting them out, wouldn't even function, and the gun writers they sent them to quietly returned them with notes that many couldn't even be made to fire a single round! But that was a management mistake of gigantic proportions, and NOT a design problem! Bean-counter types do NOT do well when dictating technical matters! They seem to have learned a lesson, at least for now, and hopefully the newer Marlins mfg'd by Rem will prove up to their historical reputation. It sure cost them a LOT of money to make the kind of mistakes they made in the initial effort! And NONE of the gun companies can afford to do that these days!!!

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2016, 06:20 AM
I like a Winchester if I'm using open sights and a marlin with a scope. Who could be without at least one of each?

W.R.Buchanan
09-20-2016, 02:26 PM
I like the Marlins for several reasons. First they are less expensive than comparable Winchesters. Second they respond well to Refinishing and Internal Deburring and are easier to work on. They end up making really nice looking guns when done. The work is not beyond anyone who can operate Sand Paper and a File.

Examples of the first reason: I paid $225 for my 1958 336 .30-30. $300 for my M39AS, $525 new for both my 1894 and 1895 CB's. both of which looked like Plain Jane generic guns. The 1895 had to be completely reworked before I shot it, as it had so many sharp edges on it that it would cut you. Both of these guns are a shear pleasure to shoot,,,, now!

I have a Marlin 39AS, "S" meaning safety. These are arguably some of the best generic .22's ever made and are really nice guns. However mine has had the complete interior redo and runs super smooth now. Took me 6 hours of fiddling with it to get there. It has a rebounding hammer which drives me nuts as it goes "Boing" everytime you fire it. Need to go back into it and file a Half Cock Notch into the hammer so I can get rid of the rebound and eliminate the safety button. and then refinish the wood and the gun will be great. The wood on that has a lot of character which is mostly hidden by the paint Marlin uses.

All of my Marlins appeared to have absolutely bland wood. However after scraping the "Marshield " finish off them and refinishing with oil finishes they show a lot of character not previously visible. I highly recommend that others follow my lead on that and refinish the wood on their guns, as it will amaze you what you find under the paint that Marlin used to seal the wood.

Those are the reasons why I like the Marlins better. The Winchesters are great guns, but they just don't lend themselves to home gunsmithing as much as the Marlins do and the cost to even get into a bad one is more than a new Marlin costs. Also there are plenty of used Marlins out there to pick up cheap and play with.

Randy

smithywess
09-26-2016, 06:58 PM
I always favored the Marlins. I have had several during my time and most I sold to get something else. I only regret selling a couple like the .25-20 and the Mod. 62 with the short action .256 Win Mag. I also have the 99 Savages, kept the .300 savage. I never cared for the 94 Win because it was hard to take apart after shooting black powder in it and I had to squeeze the lever hard to let the hammer drop. The 99 savages, .22HP .300 and the .358 where fine rifles and you didn't have to stick with the flat nosed bullets, but cleaning from the muzzle or snake.
I just picked up this fine 93 in the .30-30. It looks like it spent most of it's life in a closet. Very little wear on the moving parts like it has not been shot much or the lever worked. Some of the case color is still on and the barrel is pristine like new. The four digit Sn. takes it back to 1883 but the .30-30 caliber did not come out till just before the turn of the century. Also the butplate is unusual for this rifle. I only have looked at three with one like it.
But marlin used a lot of parts off the shelves.
I load it with a full case of black and it shoots quite well with a 170 gr cast bullet.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2793_zpsjf9tlqwa.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2793_zpsjf9tlqwa.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2794_zpsxa5rr9gs.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2794_zpsxa5rr9gs.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2798_zpsr3pjaba7.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2798_zpsr3pjaba7.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2799_zps9kexf7uv.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2799_zps9kexf7uv.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_7e74bee3-369c-435c-82cf-7c40b0eefc1d_zps24rua0my.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/7e74bee3-369c-435c-82cf-7c40b0eefc1d_zps24rua0my.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2796_zpsbqdcnmwx.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2796_zpsbqdcnmwx.jpg.html)http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/940Leadpot/th_IMG_2803_zpsupe1idcm.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/940Leadpot/media/IMG_2803_zpsupe1idcm.jpg.html)

It pulled a little right but that is fixed. :)

That's a very nice rifle indeed with the retention of some nice case colour on the receiver. The bluing on the barrel and tube are wonderful too. The stock doesn't look like it has many dings and all the screws are in good shape. Looks like an original Rocky Mountain front sight. So many front sights have been replaced. The rear sight elevator is a bit funny ? It looks as if it may have started life as a Marlin 'fish hook' type elevator which is correct but the point of the 'hook' has bust off or filed. Then again the whole elevator may have been replaced. These Marlin elevators are sure tough to find. Used to be a few folk were reproducing them but they seem to have disappeared. Glad to know the bore is in good shape. You don't need to use black powder unless you want to. The barrel is nickel steel and quite strong enough for smokeless powder. I think your date of manufacture may be a bit awry ? The 4 digit serial number under the lever appeared on rifles built after World War 1. I note the absence of factory drilling and tapping on top of the receiver. This was done on rifles made after Lewis Hepburn patented his combination receiver peep sight in August 1903. At some time in the late twenties or early thirties these drilled and tapped holes disappeared. I'm not sure exactly when but I would put your rifle in the late twenties. Does it have a star stamped on the upper tang just behind the hammer ? That appeared in 1925 and was put on rifles for a few years. Also there should be a bullseye ahead of the toe on the buttstock. In the very late twenties and early thirties a few rifles were made with a rounded form to the back of the lever. It's rather nice that your rifle has a round barrel. Most orders were for octagonal barrels although the round ones were cheaper.Marlin quit drilling and tapping their receivers for the Hepburn sight after the company was bought by the Rockwell company which manufactured machine guns for WW 1 use. A few receivers were left over after the war but from 1921 these drilled and tapped receivers were stopped. Your crescent shaped buttstock without the extension over the heel was a feature of later Models of '93 and is period correct for about the mid to late 1920's.