PDA

View Full Version : I bought two more 22s yesterday, both broken down wrecks

Clark
05-14-2016, 02:59 PM

The Marlin 80 was missing a magazine and would not hold a magazine. I put a spacer under the (28) magazine retainer clip, and ordered a magazine off ebay for $17 delivered. All it needs now is a 1" tube scope and rings to replace the Tasco 3/4" tube.

The 06 Winchester made in 1909 misfires unless I make sure it is into battery by pressing down on the top of the bolt. It has missing screws that will cost me $25 from Homestead.
It has a very new looking Winchester factory 06 replacement barrel that looks like it was installed with pliers.

BPJONES
05-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Somebody has to "rescue" these types of guns. If they function, then you have won the battle.
I just purchased a MAS 45 that looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet!

oldred
05-14-2016, 09:20 PM
I wish I could find a deal on such a wreck as that little Winchester! I think I would "unwreck" that one in a hurry, you did well there!

Bent Ramrod
05-15-2016, 09:53 AM
A good cleaning and check for wear or burrs ought to fix the stickiness in that 06. I've seen 90's and 06's in truly horrible condition and they still just worked and worked and worked. The design is so good and robust that it transcends who made it, how old it is, and its condition.

Have an 06 myself with a scabby bore that I shoot all my range pickups with. These are typically failures to fire with one indent on the rim and may have baked in the sun and been wet with rain for a while. That big firing pin will set off all but a tiny minority of them. Still get tin-can accuracy at 40 yards, too. And that fast pump-action shooting is a real catharsis.

Clark
05-16-2016, 08:58 PM
I have been cleaning the butt.

roysha
05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Did you pray for forgiveness for sinning like that, (theft of the little Winchester)?:lol:

victorfox
05-24-2016, 05:05 PM
love homestead. they sent me a beautiful tube for my old Rossi 62. love that little pump and my old father was really happy with the new magazine (he keeps the gun but had to register it so it went under my name).

Clark
05-28-2016, 04:02 AM
I replaced a 105 year old magazine tube spring.It was 0.018" thick wire, and I replaced it with a spring with 0.018" wire.
Wire must be getting better... it sure pushes harder.
It had 105 year old dirt/rust.
http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_962.htm

I was making a tube with slots to support the old 22's magazine tube when I hit the pin with the hammer.
A piece of Aluminum jammed a bandsaw wheel.
Amazing such a tiny piece of metal could cause to much trouble.

I asked a couple guys with Youtube videos on taking apart the old 06 how to get the old spring out.
No one shows it, but one guy who knew responded right away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqH2Lz9kEYhttps://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif
Guys who make disassembly videos often know more than they put in the video.

I realize I need more than firing pin stop screws. The firing pin stop is missing.

izzyjoe
05-29-2016, 06:17 PM
You did good! I love those old Marlin bolt 22's, I've rescued a few myself, I also have an 1890 22wrf with a rotten bore, been thinking about installing a barrel liner, and have another 1906 that needs a barrel, but I'm thinking about ordereding a green Mtn barrel blank and rebarreling it.

tward
06-23-2016, 04:42 AM
I have one of the JCHiggins model 42 DL, it was my first gun and I still have it. It's always been a shooter! I was able to find an extra magazine at Gander Mountain. Good luck and good shooting! Tim:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2: