PDA

View Full Version : Garand problem

roysha
05-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Sometime ago I was given a totally refinished M-1. It was done very professionally, so much so, that if you didn't know what to look for in regard to refinished arms, you would not realize it was a refinish.

Here is my problem. When I load a clip into the magazine and depress it down to release the bolt, the bolt does not move forward on its own. I have to hold the clip depressed and CAREFULLY advance the bolt from the full back position until the clip catches and then the bolt will strip the top round in a normal manner. Other than that, the rifle functions exactly as it should with absolutely no other issues. Needless to say, this is a huge pain in the patoot, especially when shooting prone with a sling.

Is this just a result of the refinish (Parkerizing) having a build up somewhere and just needing some wear or is there a mechanical problem causing this hang up? I can't see anything as far as burrs, or bent or other damage.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Hmmmm...well, it sounds to me like it's working the way it was intended to work. The bolt's release is controlled by the operating rod latch's dovetailed area. If the edges are sharp they get a good grab on the corresponding area on the op rod and prevent instant release without a bit more pressure. This helps avoid the dreaded "M1 Thumb." I've shot them for many years, own several, and very few have the instant release you are seeking. To me, that indicates a worn latch. I'm certain that with use your problem will eventually smooth itself out and it will let go faster than you might desire. Sure, you can polish the edges of the latch's dovetail and get that now, but you will find this particular part to be in short supply and expensive. I'd leave it alone.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
05-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm...well, it sounds to me like it's working the way it was intended to work. The bolt's release is controlled by the operating rod latch's dovetailed area. If the edges are sharp they get a good grab on the corresponding area on the op rod and prevent instant release without a bit more pressure. This helps avoid the dreaded "M1 Thumb." I've shot them for many years, own several, and very few have the instant release you are seeking. To me, that indicates a worn latch. I'm certain that with use your problem will eventually smooth itself out and it will let go faster than you might desire. Sure, you can polish the edges of the latch's dovetail and get that now, but you will find this particular part to be in short supply and expensive. I'd leave it alone.

+100 unless you mean the en-bloc is not locking in ?

country gent
05-14-2016, 12:56 PM
There is a "timing " gage that can be used to check for function issues like this it pushes into the action like a clip and has marks showing the range where bolt should release clip should lock in area. Several areas affect this timing the hook on the spring quide the followers set up wear, recoil spring tension, and some other simple things. Sounds like it was more compl;ete rebuild than refinish as this was how they worked originally when new. You seated clip to depth with the thumb and released bolt with edge of hand. The garand is the only rifle that does everything for you but load itself. One with a good barrel tuned up and bedded with a tuned trigger can be exceptionally accurate

Kevin Rohrer
05-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Sometime ago I was given a totally refinished M-1. It was done very professionally, so much so, that if you didn't know what to look for in regard to refinished arms, you would not realize it was a refinish.

Here is my problem. When I load a clip into the magazine and depress it down to release the bolt, the bolt does not move forward on its own. I have to hold the clip depressed and CAREFULLY advance the bolt from the full back position until the clip catches and then the bolt will strip the top round in a normal manner. Other than that, the rifle functions exactly as it should with absolutely no other issues. Needless to say, this is a huge pain in the patoot, especially when shooting prone with a sling.

Is this just a result of the refinish (Parkerizing) having a build up somewhere and just needing some wear or is there a mechanical problem causing this hang up? I can't see anything as far as burrs, or bent or other damage.

Yup, this is the way it is designed to operate. Hold the clip in w/ your right thumb and shove the bolt-handle forward with the heal of the same hand. Time it correctly and you will not end-up w/ an M1 Thumb.

country gent
05-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Simply letting the hand pivot with the op rod pushing it forward moves thumb forward and up out of bolts way reliably. Its a simple to learn technique. I shot an M! Garand for several years in competition and never got a thumb pinched. Although I have seen it. Loading the 2 runds for the start of a rapid was a bigger trick.

Adam Helmer
05-14-2016, 02:08 PM
roysha,

You got good advice so far. I have a few questions. Is this your first experience with the Garand? I own several and have shot them since 1965. When I insert a loaded clip, sometimes my Garands snap closed. Usually, I need to push down on the top of the clip and sometimes assist the bolt forward with the heel of my hand. It seems after chamber loading your Garand, it fires and reloads ok, so I would not assume you need to replace the accelerator which also has the operating rod catch affixed to the same part.

Have you properly lubed your Garand? How old is your mainspring? When did you last clean the gas cylinder and operating rod? Hope this helps.

Adam

Hardcast416taylor
05-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Simply letting the hand pivot with the op rod pushing it forward moves thumb forward and up out of bolts way reliably. Its a simple to learn technique. I shot an M! Garand for several years in competition and never got a thumb pinched. Although I have seen it. Loading the 2 runds for the start of a rapid was a bigger trick.

An enterprising tool maker/M1 shooter I knew 20 years back made up the necessary tooling for making double sided 2 shot M1 clips (2 shots on either end of an M1 8 shot clip). He also made 2 shot clips on just 1 side. He couldn`t seem to make 5 shot hunting clips fast enough. He made a version of the `sled` clip for single shot fire legs of a match for a few shooters.Robert

country gent
05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Ive made 5 round and sleds also that en bloc clip is pretty easily reformed with the right tools. Its tough and resiliant but can be easily cut and reformed. I always crossed the 2 rounds in a standard clip and pushed down into rifle and released the bolt on an empty chamber this locked the clip allowing me to chamber round after. The 5 rounds were to comply with Michigans deer season laws.

roysha
05-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Thank you all for the responses. Another lesson learned.

After reading the above posts I don't have a problem after all. Back in the late 80s and early 90s I shot NRA High Power with our clubs DCM Garands which, to be very kind, had been "rode hard and put up wet". Believe me when I tell you that when the clip latched in the bottom of the magazine well, you had better have the heel of your hand holding the bolt back or it was disaster city. I assumed from that, a proper operating Garand did the same thing so when I would have to pop the bolt handle on my current Garand, to get things moving, I just assumed there was an issue.

I still have my 2 round clips for the HP course and also some 5 round clips so I could legally hunt with it, since here in CO 5 rounds in an autoloader was/is all that was/is allowed for big game hunting.

For those of you that read this earlier, I did mean to say NRA High Power, not NM. Just not paying attention like I should. (as usual)