PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464 experience?

blixen
05-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Saw a Mossberg 464 30-30 offered at a fair price.. It's an earlier model--birch stock with the straight grip.
I can't get to the owner until Monday--so it probably will be gone. But I'm curious about the rifle, because I like 30-30s.

I researched the 464 on this site and others. The results (a couple years old) were mixed. But I'm assuming Mossberg got its act together since the early bad reviews and this one should have gotten all the bugs shot out of it over the years.

Anyone here have a long-term relationship with this rifle? It would be cast boolits only.

(BTW, I own a couple Marlins and an ancient Win. 94.)

pietro
05-14-2016, 03:51 PM

I coon-fingered one, back when they were first introduced, giving it an extensive examination.

The Walnut stock was "OK", although a little proud of the metal - but I passed on buying it because of the issue plastic sights (IDK if the sights have since been upgraded)

I don't usually scope classic-styled leverguns, preferring a receiver peep sight, and AFAIK there were no aftermarket receiver sights available (as there are today).

IMO, the Mossberg might make a decent, easily-scoped levergun, though - possibly on a par with a Marlin 336, but w/o the Marlin's Microgroove rifling.

richhodg66
05-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Haven't shot one, but I have liked what I've seen of them. I have heard the extractors are a weak point and prone to breakage.

jmort
05-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Most every review I have seen from someone who actually own one is great. I own one and will get another. Fantastic value. Here is the best/most comprehensive review I have seen.
http://www.realguns.com/articles/346.htm
I have two Winchesters, two Marlins, a Henry and a Mossberg 464.

BTW, the extractor problem was noted and fixed by Mossberg years ago. No problems with current production or since around 2009 or so

Prodigal Son
05-16-2016, 09:28 AM
I have had two in my shop for sale for months and no takers! They are made very decent and a few members here have had them rebored to 38-55 with no issues and given great reviews! New $469.00 at our gun shop.

quilbilly
05-16-2016, 12:14 PM
I have had mine for four years and put a lot of CB's through. Recently I put a Skinner sight on it. It has shot well with anything I have tried. I bought it new on sale ($300) as a "cheap" truck rifle and it is worth a lot more than I paid (never saw that price again). My current loads are the Lyman 130 gr plain base with Trail Boss at 1320 fps and a 160 gr. Lee RNGC at 1700 fps using RE-7. My cowboy action seating die puts a nice 1/8" flat nose on both making both safe for the tube magazine. Accuracy wise it is more than adequate for what I want (the 130 gr is minute of coyote at 200 yards and the 160 is minute of gallon paint can at 300 yards when my old eyes cooperate with the iron sights in the morning). Not even a hint of leading with the plain base at 1450 fps and sized to 309 but I prefer the Trail Boss load.

quilbilly
05-16-2016, 12:35 PM
FYI afterthought - If you do get the 464 and decide to put on a Skinner sight, ask for the long shank aperture. You will need the extra adjustment.

blixen
05-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks all,

The one i'm looking at is in very good condition with birch? wood, and straight grip. $340. The wood reminds me of a post-64 Sears M94, except this seems to be a better built rifle. I would indeed put a skinner sight on it.