PDA

View Full Version : Belding and Mull M28

abunaitoo
05-14-2016, 12:01 AM
I have this old reloading press.
30.06 Win Die
Anyone ever use one of these????
I'd like to find out what parts I'm missing.
Want to try and reload with it, just because.

Maven
05-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Check our membership list for "Floodgate," who has a wealth of information about that press.

Bent Ramrod
05-14-2016, 09:25 AM
I have a few of them. It looks like the boolit seater is attached to your press. If that's all you have, you are missing the decapper and the neck sizer (B&M tools neck-sized only). The 28 had the seater used as part of the press; previous editions had a separate hand seating die like the Ballard and Sharps tools.

There should also be a strip of steel with a half-circle cut out of it which fits in a cut across your machine's shell cradle to hold the rimless case for the various operations.

It is a nice tool; perfect (if mounted on a small board) for leisurely load-at-the-bench shooting sessions. Unfortunately, they are very commonly found with only one attachment, since nobody recognized what the other attachments were and lost them.

The tools were quite expensive compared to the cheap "C" presses that saturated the market after WWII, and of course not nearly as versatile. I have a postcard from the mid 70's from B&M, saying, Sorry; no more loading tools or parts thereof available. The company went out of business shortly thereafter.

Check the ARTCA site. There is a Belding and Mull forum there, with lots of real scholars and collectors. Me; I'm just an accumulator.

abunaitoo
05-15-2016, 04:17 AM
That is a seater attached.
Is there some place that I could see pictures of the decapper and sizer????

Bent Ramrod
05-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Go to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors' Association website, log in, go to the Forum, click on "Belding and Mull Tools" and go about halfway down to the thread that says "Belding and Mull M24 Pictures." There's a lot of M28 stuff there, too; about every attachment that went on the things.

Once in a blue moon, E-Bay shows some of the attachments for sale, but much more often it is a forlorn, unaccessorized press with all the stuff except the shell cradle and priming setup gone. Or else, like yours, with the last attachment somebody used on it and everything else gone.

The online auction sites are probably the most cost-effective places to look for these attachments. I've been souvenir-hunting at Gun Shows for forty years and have seen one neck sizing die and a couple of shell cradles loose by themselves.

Scrounge around for a copy of The Belding and Mull Handbook. It has instructions for the setup and use of these tools.

Char-Gar
05-15-2016, 04:05 PM
I have one in 38 Special that I use from time to time. A google search should turn up a copy of the manual which you can download.