rancher1913
05-14-2016, 08:54 AM
naw you got another shoulder, stop being a baby :kidding:

OS OK
05-14-2016, 09:02 AM
"Now you can add 'T.O.B.' after your signature…'Tough Ole Bird'."

Teddy (punchie)
05-14-2016, 09:22 AM
well looks like allot of shooting or over loaded??

Handloader109
05-14-2016, 01:49 PM
You're too low, get the butt up higher 😁

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

opos
05-14-2016, 01:52 PM
You're too low, get the butt up higher 

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

No room...had too much surgery on that shoulder over the years...I shot too much...I'm good for about 15 rounds with that rifle...shot about 40 rounds...got to be smarter than that I guess....just having fun.

Hardcast416taylor
05-14-2016, 01:58 PM
No room...had too much surgery on that shoulder over the years...I shot too much...I'm good for about 15 rounds with that rifle...shot about 40 rounds...got to be smarter than that I guess....just having fun.

Just so inquiring minds will know. What rifle and caliber were you shooting?Robert

Adam Helmer
05-14-2016, 02:14 PM
opos,

My .50 caliber Barrett does the same stuff to me when I shoot it offhand. LOL.

Adam

opos
05-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Just so inquiring minds will know. What rifle and caliber were you shooting?Robert

It's a 98K Mauser that was sporterized back in the early 60's...one of the really beautiful ones...it has a Pachmeyer recoil pad mounted to the stock and it's dried out hard as a rock...getting changed out soon..it's an 8x57 which is no big deal but the rifle weighs just over 6#...I was just resting it on my range bag and sort of squatting down...not a good position...just checking out a recent scope mount. I have been shooting rifles since my days in college in the 50's when I worked in a gun store after school...never had one "make a mark" like this did...got to be a bit more careful about placement and also how many rounds I shoot...I was "getting brass" for some load work and went a bit overboard.

Earlwb
05-14-2016, 10:37 PM
You are doing better than myself. When I was young I had managed to break both of my collar bones, both sides on different occasions. So basically the small part of my shoulders is really small now. I have to be quite careful with the bigger bore rifles anymore. But recoil pads and padded shooting jackets help a lot. The standard military steel butt rifle stocks are a problem for me anymore. The area on top of the collarbone can become quite tender and bruised too.

Bmi48219
05-15-2016, 01:30 AM
Back in the mid-60's I went with my dad to a gun show. He bought a 98 (8mm) and a Swiss straight pull T bolt (7.5 mm). Both were 'NRA very good' rifles with steel butt plates. Ten buck each. I could almost live with the recoil of the Swiss, but 5 rounds prone wearing a tee shirt was as much practice as this 13 year old wanted with the 98.

leadman
05-15-2016, 02:29 AM
I have a matching scar on my shoulder also. A PAST recoil pad you strap on your shoulder works very well. I am restricted by the doctor to my Lead Sled which helps minimize the recoil. My Encore 7mm Rem mag will move the Lead Sled and #42 of lead on it about 3" with each shot. Good thing I only need one shot to do the job when I am hunting! LOL.

303Guy
05-15-2016, 02:31 AM
An 8x57 in a lightweight rifle is going to have a noticeable recoil. :shock: Time to switch that barrel to a 257 Roberts. [smilie=1: I have a 25/303 and it is just so sweet to shoot. 8-)

What load are you shooting?

RogerDat
05-15-2016, 03:38 AM
Ah the infamous "just getting some brass" situation. Who hasn't set out to create 20 or so empty cases and found when they were done... What the heck? That whole box of 48 or 50 is gone already? Normally this leads to a comment like that was fun and a check to make sure all the empties are accounted for. In your case it looks like ice bag and leaches would have been a more appropriate response.

opos
05-15-2016, 08:11 AM
I've got one of the PAST magnum pads around here and just figured I'd only shoot 20 or so and didn't take the time to dig it out...That's my project today...I was shooting a little ladder of 43 grains =- of 4064 with a 200 grain SMK...supposed to be a reasonable load and the higher end simulates the velocity of the S/B 196 grain I was shooting up for the brass...That shoulder is a junk yard...broken collar bone twice and hit a tree skiing in the 60's and had a bit of surgery..

I got a 25-06 built on a Winchester 1917 Enfield with a medium wt. Douglas barrel...I load it mid range and it's a joy...also got an Interarms Mark X in 7x57 Mauser that shoots medium loads very well...I've shot the 8 mm that "bit me" some but not much recently and figured to start working up some loads..hence shooting up a bunch of the old S/B I had laying around...I don't hunt but the lead bullet thing is getting a bit inane here and never know when the politicians are going to make their next move...All in all it was a good day and frankly a bruise is kind of fun for an old duffer...