PDA

View Full Version : First casting session!

sniper
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
This A.M., I warmed up my new Lee pot, boiled the oil out of my RCBS 162 gr. SWC GC mould, and had at it!

The Lee pot dripped a bit, but no biggie. Good bullets, afaik, with only a few not filled out completely, and only a couple wrinkled. I was just trying the mould, to see how my attempts at adjustment had worked, so I used wheel weight, with a few soft lead balls and commercially cast swc thrown in.

The bullets looked good, but there was a definite"step" on the nose end, and tiny "wings" at the junction of the nose and first band.

Oh, well, off to RCBS to see what, if anything can be done. In the meantime, I will mount my RCBS 150 KT SWC mould on the empty handles, and have another good casting session. :-D

The Lee big pot , and BullPlate lube work a treat! Next time, I am going to mix wheelweight with about 20% Lyman #2 and FEAR NOT!
Dang, this is as fun as I remembered. O wait! I forgot to mike the boolitz, and weigh them before I anointed them with LLA.!:roll:

Oh, well, there's always next time, and I do have to put the gas checks on.

WEll! With gas checks and lube, they weigh 164.3-165gr. , most about 164.6 or so, and apear to have minimal sizing from my Lee handy-dandy .358 sizer. I may try some as cast. Happy, thank you!

Buckshot
05-15-2008, 03:02 AM
..............Well good on ya! Did you check the faces of that offending mould over really well?

..............Buckshot