View Full Version : Winchester M64 and sellers remorse

rking22
05-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Well, I let my M64 short rifle go to fund my Clements 41 special a while back. Now I see it's on gunbroker and I am seriously considering buying it again, am I nuts?? Don't see these things everyday and it's sitting there at considerably less than I got for it,,,, wifey would kill me,,,,

M-Tecs
05-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Unless it's a buy it now hard telling what it will go for.

gandog56
05-13-2016, 09:45 PM
I almost sold my Winchester 95 in 7.62X54R when I see what one can bring, but so far I have resisted.

rking22
05-13-2016, 10:19 PM
I hear you, just seemed a lot of money sitting there in the safe. I have a pre64 M94 that I have had since 1977 and if the M64 had been a checkered full length rifle it would still be with me. It took several attempts to actually take it out to sell, almost felt guilty! I will probably leave it alone, but at less than 500$ now I could make some money on it :) .... Except, that never seems to work for me, I bought a Ruger SP101 3 inch in 327 because I knew I was paying less than 1/2 what they sell for. I made the mistake of shooting it ... waiting for Fathers Day to get a Simply Rugged for it ,, so much for making any money on it!
My next task is to manage to sell my 1875 Sharps, I have repeatedly gotten it out to take to a show, then put it back after "petting" it for a while. I haven't shot it in 15 years, 34 inches of oct barrel with a .403 bore is more weight than I want now. That one has to go suddenly, so it can't make me feel guilty :)

TXGunNut
05-13-2016, 10:44 PM
I broke my "never sell/trade" rule a few weeks ago but it was a gun I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place. I'd love to have a 64 short rifle but I don't do online auctions. I agree that the present bid looks attractive but like M-Tecs pointed out it's not likely to sell for that. I think most serious bidders do the last-second bidding strategy.

M-Tecs
05-13-2016, 11:00 PM
GunBroker extends 15 minutes after the last bid during the last 15 minutes so you always have 15 minutes after the last bid. On GB the bids tend to run up starting about a 1/2 hour before the end.

rking22
05-13-2016, 11:09 PM
I've noticed that too. It was just a little shock when I saw it again, can't see buying it again, just weird. kinda like running into an ex girlfriend :)
I have had that no sell/ no trade policy but it's generally related to things they no longer make and I hunted long and hard to find. I stumbled into the M64 and just did a spur of the moment purchase. I have a M25 carbine that I "stalked" for over 4 years, finally bagged it. I don't shoot it much right now, but I know I will when I get some breathing room with work.

modified5
05-13-2016, 11:47 PM
My wife would have to kill me or get over it. She might kill me with it. ;-)
I have managed to only sell one gun in my life. A Marlin .22 that I shot until it broke and I sold for what I payed for it.
I bet it's weird to see it on GB. Bet it goes for more too. It's a nice looking piece.

Blackwater
05-14-2016, 04:14 PM
If I EVER get my old '39 vintage M-64 back again, it won't EVER go anywhere! It was one of those guns that you always rue letting go, and I won't make that mistake twice! It was amazingly accurate, showing me a 5-shot group at 60+ yds. of 13/16" with peep sights from a kneeling position! I didn't even know I COULD shoot that well any more. The peep sight really helps. That gun was the 24" barreled full rifle configuration, but it balanced SO well, and was as quick to the shoulder as anything I've ever hefted. I miss that old gun, and a few more I was dumb enough to let go. We po' boys don't often get a chance to have a truly "Fine" gun, and I let that one go. It was a real honey of a gun. Those pre-war Win's are really something apart! I'd recommend you keep it, lest you wind up like me, pining for it for (likely) the rest of your life. Money's important, but we can't let it RULE us!