PDA

View Full Version : M 1 carbine Pachmayr hinged scope mount - any info?

Bmi48219
05-13-2016, 02:20 PM
I purchased this decades ago, it was marked: Pachmayr - Los Angeles - Made in USA on the outside surface of the mounting plate (at least I think it's the outside as the 4 screw holes are countersunk from this side). On the other side it's stamped
M1 CARBINE. It has an adjustable spring clip that engages a pin on the ring base that I think would hold the scope in a fixed position when it is pivoted over the rifle for scope use. The rings can also be swung off to the side for iron sight use. There is a knurled tension sleeve in the center of the hinge that can loosen or tighten the swing. Has anyone ever seen one of these or know how they attach to a carbine?
i have to assume it would be mounted on left side of gun so as not to interfere with slide. Probably has to be in letter into stock too. I tried looking on Internet and saw one similar but on a Garand. Any help would be appreciated.

WineMan
05-14-2016, 10:37 PM
I had one of the stamped metal ones with a brass deflector. The back used the dovetail with a hex screw, the front needed a screw tapped next to the chamber. Today with the Carbines going for $1,500 that now seems like a foolish decision. Not sure how that one gets attached?

Dave

Bmi48219
05-15-2016, 01:13 AM
I know what you mean. Not about to start drilling holes. I saw a Universal carbine at a gun show today. On the left side of receiver there was a metal piece about 4 inches long and 1/8 inch wide I letter into the stock. Couldn't tell how deep it was,only could see the top. But it did look like it might be the spot to attach the mount I have. I am going to try to find a blown up schematic of a Universal, maybe that will get me pointed in the right direction.
I tried the milled aluminum S&K mount that just uses the dovetail but the machining is a little off and it doesn't sit perfectly true to the receiver.

leadman
05-15-2016, 02:34 AM
I had a similar mount on a Rem pump 30-06 tthat mounted on top. It worked well and came back to zero each time I flipped it and returned to the locked position.
I have an Ulti-Mak handguard mount scout scope (pistol scope) on one of my GI carbines. This replaces the handguard with no modifications to the gun. Works surprisingly well. Also have one that replaces the rear sight on another GI carbine but I did have to shim it to get the scope to sight in.

rondog
05-15-2016, 02:40 AM
Sell it on eBay and buy an UltiMak handguard. I have one on a Plainfield carbine and it's the bomb!