PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love squibs

osteodoc08
05-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Had about 500 rounds of 45 acp ammo using BE-86 and 230gr LRN. I check my machine every 100 rounds or so and on my last check, the thumb screw on my LnL that attaches one of the powder dispenser arms had come loose and allowed the arm
to ride up with the powder dispenser causing partially charged or uncharged cases.

Unfortunately for me I had already dumped the "completed" rounds into my ammo can........dang. I wasn't gonna pull all of them, so I took my morning off to go dispense myself of said "bad ammo"

I only ran into 3 squibs that lodged a boolit in the barrel. About a dozen others got lobbed to the back stop.

Now I tighten down everything with my German torque wrench----Goodentight.

I also am changing over to a Dillon 650. This was just one of the many many issues I've had with my press.

Plastikosmd
05-13-2016, 01:02 PM
If the 650 is anything like the 550, u will love it. Like all machines, some tuning is required. Mine just run and run

Mk42gunner
05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
Nah, that's not a squib, the poor little boolit was just shy.

Pretty uncommon to actually have a projectile stop just at the end of the barrel like that.

Robert

Mytmousemalibu
05-13-2016, 03:12 PM
I was on to get me a progressive here a short while ago and was strongly considering the LNL until I did more researching and discovered that a good number of folks have been having trouble with the machine. That was enough for me, the Dillon 650 has a much better reputation and with a case feeder added, the LNL was close in cost to the 650. The decision was a no-brainer. My only regret about the 650 is not buying one sooner! I love that machine!

osteodoc08
05-13-2016, 03:26 PM
If the 650 is anything like the 550, u will love it. Like all machines, some tuning is required. Mine just run and run

Already bought one and love it. I just haven't bought all the caliber conversions. So I continue to use the LnL and will keep it as a back up press. It's not a bad press, I just prefer the Dillon.

osteodoc08
05-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Nah, that's not a squib, the poor little boolit was just shy.

Pretty uncommon to actually have a projectile stop just at the end of the barrel like that.

Robert

That was one of 2 that did that. I didn't think to take a photo of the other one which was a little more pronounced. Quite comical though.

havfun
05-13-2016, 04:24 PM
I struggled with the lnl best thing i ever did was go to a 650 then i upgraded to the 1050.

the resale is awesome on the xl 650 because of the no bs warranty-

GONRA
05-13-2016, 05:31 PM
GONRA uses Dillons for 9mm and .45 ACP SMG ammo,
but makes sure to eyeball the powder charge in EVERY CASE
as they rotate around....

boolit_boy
05-13-2016, 06:52 PM
I used to own a LNL, and sold it. Bought a 550 and could not be happier.

alamogunr
05-13-2016, 10:37 PM
GONRA uses Dillons for 9mm and .45 ACP SMG ammo,
but makes sure to eyeball the powder charge in EVERY CASE
as they rotate around....

Amen! I'm just getting started with a RL550 and one problem is if I interrupt my session and come back later, the first 2 or 3 powder drops are either heavy or light. Being a beginner with a progressive, I still have reservations about the powder measure. After those first drops, I'm amazed at the consistency. Hope I both find out the why of the above problem and gain more confidence in the process.

Mica_Hiebert
05-13-2016, 11:17 PM
In the industry we call that last pic a bib (bullet in bore)

M-Tecs
05-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Get the power check system with the 650. They work very well.

GONRA
05-14-2016, 10:51 AM
GONRA sez squibs with not much powder CAN be a KABOOM
in blowback or modified blowback actions.
SEEMS to be an issue in 5.7x28FN FiveSeveN "modified blowback" pistols
when guys are developing subsonic loads for suppressors.

Bullets can stick in the barrel... KABOOM!

Earlwb
05-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I am glad you caught that before you tried to fire another round in it. But it is pretty amazing. I do not remember anyone have one much less two bullets get stuck in the bore like that. It might be time to buy a lottery ticket.

CHeatermk3
05-14-2016, 11:02 PM
I had issues with my 550 after somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 rounds. The square plastic piece on the end of the powder actuator arm, that fits into the side of the charge bar(this does the actual pushing/pulling of the charge bar) wore to the point it would slip out of engagement and result in a no-powder round. Also the bushing that the powder actuator arm pivots on will need replacing.

Not to knock the Dillon as they are great machjnes; just need to be aware that parts do wear, just need to be alert. I sit on the right side of my machine when operating it and pay close attention to the moving parts as they function. A squib I made a different way cost me a really nice IPSC trophy one year.

C. Latch
05-14-2016, 11:06 PM
I'm curious as to whether those cycled the slide?

Dan Cash
05-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Amen! I'm just getting started with a RL550 and one problem is if I interrupt my session and come back later, the first 2 or 3 powder drops are either heavy or light. Being a beginner with a progressive, I still have reservations about the powder measure. After those first drops, I'm amazed at the consistency. Hope I both find out the why of the above problem and gain more confidence in the process.

Gravity and ambient vibration compress the powder in the drop chamber and below the baffle