PDA

View Full Version : Are You Crazy??

jhalcott
05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
A friend of mine aked me this when I told him about my 3.3 grain bullseye load. he says the 287405 bullet in the .280 remington case is WAAYY under loaded . It May be to small of a charge to reliably ignite when the powder is laying along the case. So far(tap wood!), I have had excellent accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. NOT one hang fire or other problem in about 100 shots with loads from 3.0 to 3.5 grains. No gas checks are used in these loads. Am I flirting with disaster here?This load is for ground hogs in an almost urban area. Shots beyond 50 yards will not be taken. This is one of Glen Fryxxel's loads,

GabbyM
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Don't know but indoor target shooters have been using something like 1 1/2 grains Bullseye in 45 ACP cases for decades.

As long as you've a good case neck grip on the boolit you'll get good ignition. IMHO. It's true that some of the modern shotgun powders must reach fairly high pressure before they will ignite. Bullseye isn't one of them. As your good accuracy attest.

selmerfan
05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
If you're comfortable with it and have shot it with no problems, go for it. In my .454 Casull I used to load down to 4 gr. of Unique for super-light plinking/varmint loads with a 255 gr. boolit. No problems there either.
Selmerfan

jhalcott
05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
The thing that surprised me ,is this fellow has LOTS of experience with reloading and shooting. He is a blackpowder lover though. Big cases and bullets are his main thing.