PDA

View Full Version : "Spike Strips" hidden in the forest

JSnover
05-13-2016, 11:05 AM
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/pennsylvania-game-commission-found-spike-strip-game-lands-trail/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-nb_lb-5.13-PA&utm_term=PA

The 'greens' haven't given up. Watch the trail when you're out there.

runfiverun
05-13-2016, 11:23 AM
they got nuthin better to do all day [really]

GunGuy2756
05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Damn green goons. Did they ever think that animals might step on one? I hope they find who is responsible and put the screws to them.

opos
05-13-2016, 12:12 PM
A number of years ago the greenies were spiking trees..that should be considered attempted murder and if a death does take place...murder one! Punishment might be to turn them loose in a forest full of lumber jacks..

abqcaster
05-13-2016, 12:24 PM
with any luck, somebody's game-cam caught the #*#@#....

jonp
05-13-2016, 01:30 PM
When i was in AZ doing some wildlife surveys in advance of a timber sale on one of the National Forest i found several spiked trees. The damage this can do not just a sawmill but a sawyer is potentially catastrophic but some greenie nuts dont care

MT Gianni
05-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Also used to cover someones dope grow patch.

Blackwater
05-13-2016, 05:09 PM
MT Gianni's right. Somehow, I just don't think the greenies are dumb enough to do something like that. No way to get credit for it and get on the news without being criminally charged and almost surely convicted, even in our "modern" courts. I'd say it's someone protecting their marijuana patch. It's far from uncommon now to find small patches some grow for personal use and/or sale. And I doubt those types take such spike strips up after they've harvested their "crop." Too anxious to get it to use and market, I think.

Here in Ga., we have to keep our eyes on every step anyway due to snakes. They can be easily missed, so a lot of attention and good "woods eyes" are necessary any time you go into the woods, and even in our back yards sometimes. Most "moderns" are so used to going about oblivious to what all is around them, that they just don't see even if they look. That's no way to take to the woods, but it's something that has to be developed over time, and not many get to spend as much time in the woods as us rural types do. So denied much opportunity, they just don't have a chance to develop good "woods eyes." But one CAN train themselves to get a lot better, but it takes a lot of presence of mind and focus on purpose, which also aren't most moderns' strongest suits, either. But it sure pays to put all your assets, whatever they may be, to work any and every time we're in the woods. There's a lot worse out there than spike strips.

bedbugbilly
05-13-2016, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the greenies either . . . not uncommon for dope growers to booby trap their growing areas . . . regardless of what part of the country it is.

bayjoe
05-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Yeah dope growers in eastern Oklahoma like using the 12 gauge shell in a board with a trip wire tied to a mouse trap to set the shell off.
Real nasty little device.

dragon813gt
05-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Good luck growing cannabis outside here. It's to early in the season and way to cold. They will grow it later in the year. But not at this time.

I'm not gonna lie. I thought about using a spike strip the other day. There are a bunch of locals, I am one as well, that insist in ignoring the "no motorized vehicles" signs. They have almost hit my dog multiple times. And almost hit my 2yo son and I on Thursday. To say I was angry was an understatement. Police take to long to respond to catch them. They are running off all the game. I thought about a spike strip for a split second. I would never do such a thing but the thought crossed my mind. If they ever hit my dog it will take all my control to not physically harm them. If they hit my son all bets are off. Sorry for the rant but this is fresh in my mind. A few people think the rules don't apply to them and ruin it for others.

aephilli822
05-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Good luck growing cannabis outside here. It's to early in the season and way to cold. They will grow it later in the year. But not at this time.

I'm not gonna lie. I thought about using a spike strip the other day. There are a bunch of locals, I am one as well, that insist in ignoring the "no motorized vehicles" signs. They have almost hit my dog multiple times. And almost hit my 2yo son and I on Thursday. To say I was angry was an understatement. Police take to long to respond to catch them. They are running off all the game. I thought about a spike strip for a split second. I would never do such a thing but the thought crossed my mind. If they ever hit my dog it will take all my control to not physically harm them. If they hit my son all bets are off. Sorry for the rant but this is fresh in my mind. A few people think the rules don't apply to them and ruin it for others.

Local kid was decapitated by a wire strung across the trail because someone living nearby "didn't like all the racket they caused, and wanted to make them stop" riding 4 wheelers (he probably can't hear the 4 wheelers from prison)

Mica_Hiebert
05-16-2016, 11:48 AM
The area I like hunting in was almost completely closed due to punks tearing every thing up in their jacked up 4x4 rigs, the roads are at the point where you can't drive them without 35 inch tires, the fish and game decided not to close the roads but said they will no longer maintain the roads so it has become a huge 4x4 play ground that used to be prime hunting land, hunters in retaliation to almost having their hunting land closed down started putting boulders, rolls of barbed wire, steel T posts, etc in the big 5 foot deep mud bogging pits the jerks have made in what used to be spring fed watering holes! Read in the paper one day that the F&G where looking to find and prosecute who was doing it because they drove into one and ran a T post through their radiator! Well serves them right! It's illegal to drive off the roads on fish and game property and the officer damaged a piece of government property breaking the law! He should have been fired! Not saying this is what happened just sayin it's a scenerio!

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 07:50 PM
Local kid was decapitated by a wire strung across the trail because someone living nearby "didn't like all the racket they caused, and wanted to make them stop" riding 4 wheelers (he probably can't hear the 4 wheelers from prison)

I would never actually do it because I know the ramifications. Anything I did out there could potentially harm other children as well as adults, dogs and horses. I'm waiting for one of them to hit someone on a horse. Maybe that will get law enforcement's attention.

The sole reason this tract of land is open is because of hunting. Hikers and horses get the benefit of using the land. Unless you own the property everything down here is closed to dirt bikes and four wheelers. It's always been this way so it's not like things just changed. I can't stand when people think the rules don't apply to them. It ruins it for everyone else.

Blackwater
05-16-2016, 09:03 PM
I understand, dragon. Kind'a hard not to think of such, but it's never a good idea to do things that can hurt folks without thinking it through VERY thoroughly beforehand. Here, some of the dog hunting clubs have bars across their access roads, with padlocks. Some places, they can just ride around them if the trespassers have the right kinds of vehicles.

It's pretty common for clubs having this problem (stealing from campers there, and other stuff) to make some spike strips of 1x2's and bury them so that anyone trying to drive around them gets flat tires. Some of those better tires are pretty spendy, so they usually get the message and go to "softer" targets. Nobody's ever been hurt, but some of the bad guys have surely learned some new cuss words! I'm just evil enough to like it when that happens.

Nothing stops thieves like overwhelming force. Ain't it funny how that works? It's PC to "let the law handle it," but not everybody is PC, and when thieves run into one of these, who doesn't let his temper make him do something stupid, they generally don't want a 2nd experience with it. Good local law enforcement who has enough of a sense of humor and justice to recognize these incidents for what they are, can be a big help, and not every locale has this. Some still do, though. I suspect Joe Arpiao's boys would be unable to find certain evidence of any transgression so long as nobody gets hurt badly. Just my thoughts on the matter, and YMMV. It sure stops a lot of thievery, though, when it can be pulled off. Biggest factor is having LE that doesn't treat everybody, victim and perpetrator alike, with the same disinterest. Most folks in most communities know who the bad guys are, and kind'a enjoy seeing folks "take up for themselves." But you have to KNOW the score before engaging in something like this.

Where there's a will, there's always a way. Sometimes, it just has to be more devious and well planned than at others.

dave524
05-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Spiked boards are commonly used in front of windows and doors to keep bears out of camps when not in use

Bad Water Bill
05-18-2016, 03:29 AM
HE HE HE HE

The day after we moved into our new home (1972) some one reved up their motor sickle and burned up the lawn between my home and my neighbors home.

So that night I planted BIG quince bushes across the space.

The doper came thru again and cussed me because the quinces had scratched him up everywhere.

Now I was REALLY mad so I picked up a piece of 3/4 plywood and squared it off at 1" spaces and drove 3" spikes where ever the lines met and buried it under a light covering of dirt.

HE HE Really got both tires that time.

As he stood there that time screaming I opened the front door and said "the next time you come thru I will put a broadhead arrow thru your left thigh,the gas tank and into your right calf".

Never saw any of that family again as they put up the house for sale and vanished.[smilie=w::bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:

Later I found out the family were bullies AND druggies and had terrorized the neighborhood for years till we moved in.

William Yanda
05-18-2016, 06:44 AM
he he he he

the day after we moved into our new home (1972) some one reved up their motor sickle and burned up the lawn between my home and my neighbors home.

So that night i planted big quince bushes across the space.

The doper came thru again and cussed me because the quinces had scratched him up everywhere.

Now i was really mad so i picked up a piece of 3/4 plywood and squared it off at 1" spaces and drove 3" spikes where ever the lines met and buried it under a light covering of dirt.

He he really got both tires that time.

As he stood there that time screaming i opened the front door and said "the next time you come thru i will put a broadhead arrow thru your left thigh,the gas tank and into your right calf".

Never saw any of that family again as they put up the house for sale and vanished.[smilie=w::bigsmyl2:[smilie=w:

Later i found out the family were bullies and druggies and had terrorized the neighborhood for years till we moved in.
you naughty naughty boy!

w5pv
05-18-2016, 06:52 AM
The diesel hat I used for my tractor kept getting stolen so I set an old can out about 4 gallons of water with about a gallon of diesel on top of that you know that old truck hasn't ran in years.Being used now for trash can.