PDA

View Full Version : Old boolits New reloads

jhalcott
05-12-2016, 10:35 PM
I reloaded some boolits that were sized ,lubricated and checked about three years ago. I used 22 1/2 grains/ 4759 win large rifle primers. One mold was the 311466, the others were 185 trainers. I shot them( 47 rounds total) at shot shells on the hundred yard bank. I didn't hit with every shot but got close with the misses. 2x7 scope and sandbags. I was surprised at how close to each other all these loads hit. And only a tiny smidgen of lead when I cleaned the bore. The gun is an ax pe or 100.
I am wondering how long cast, lubricated and checked boolits are good for. I have shot 90 year old ammo, but I am thinking about component boolits.

stubbicatt
05-13-2016, 06:51 AM
As some point the lube will dry out I suppose.

jhalcott
05-13-2016, 04:46 PM
this was home made FELIX lube, still tacky to the touch. I did not expect much from them. I just wanted to see how the 4759 load would work. Boolits from ~ 165 to 157 grains all went into about 4 inches at 100 yards. I did not adjust the scope for them and my load of 150 Hornady SPs and 2520 powder was good for 4 out of 5 shells. Though LOUDER and with much more recoil.

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-13-2016, 05:19 PM
It depends on the lube and storage conditions. I've had some get really dried out in a year and others ready to load after nearly 10 years. Temperature, humidity, air flow, etc. all are factors to consider. Stored in a container like a coffee can with a plastic lid cuts air flow, which slows down evaporation of the lube. Same principles as drying out a slice of bread.

marlinman93
05-13-2016, 09:28 PM
It lasts longer as loaded ammo, as the lube isn't exposed to the atmosphere. I've got a lot of cast bullets that are decades old, and still look like new. But I don't lube my bullets until I'm ready to load them. I got some very old lubed bullets given to me once. The lube was so dried up that it was falling out of the lube grooves. I put them in some hot water and boiled them to remove the rest of the lube. Then laid them out to air dry. Once they were dry I ran them through my lubrisizer and loaded them up. They shot great, and no leading issues.

northmn
05-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Wheel weight is supposed to harden over time. Would not effect shooting in most cases and might actually improve with some loads. Recasting would anneal it. Other than that there would be little to effect the bullets.

DEP

taco650
05-14-2016, 09:51 PM
What caliber?

marlinman93
05-14-2016, 11:05 PM
What caliber?

???? Does the caliber affect how long they last? ;)

taco650
05-16-2016, 05:48 AM
???? Does the caliber affect how long they last? ;)

What I wanted to know is what caliber is the firearm being used to test these "old bullets". Sorry if I wasn't clear.

marlinman93
05-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Most of my guns are pre 1900, so the old hyphenated calibers are what I'm shooting all my cast bullets in. I cast most of my bullets, but never pass up a bargain price on old bullets that are in calibers I shoot. I often carry my dial indicator with me at gun shows, just to double check and not end up with something I can't use. They are often cheaper than the price of buying lead, and save casting time too.
One thing I forgot to mention when boiling the lube out of the grooves. Don't let the bullets sit on the bottom of the pan! I have an old deep fryer pot that has a basket, which holds the bullets off the direct heat on the bottom. I skim the lube off the water before lifting the basket out.