PDA

View Full Version : what to do with wild turkey meat

ihuntbuck
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
does anybody have a recipe using wild turkey breast meat???

MT Gianni
05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
No specific receipe but I have breaded and fried it after having sliced and spiced it into fingers. Gianni

Mumblypeg
05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Just a big chicken, fry that sucker up, or bake it.They are drier than domestic so I bake them in a bag with bacon strips on top some time. Either way they are Grrrreeeeeaaat.

NoDakJak
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
They come out tender and juicy when run through a crockpot. Add veggies to your taste. I like to add a handful of barley and a couple tablespoons of Soy Sauce. Neil

Coastie
05-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Skin-em. Use a hypodermic needle to infuse with chicken broth, melted butter (about 1/2 cup). Season with sage, onion, salt,etc. Cover with muslin and pour chicken broth and butter over the top. Keep moist. Put a lid on the roaster. Bake 325 1 & 1/2 hour. Meat therm. 180-185. Seems like a lot of work, but they taste great.

carpetman
05-14-2008, 01:56 AM
What to do with wild turkey meat? Throw the meat away and then you just have Wild Turkey. Little ice is all you need then.

Ricochet
05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, on the thread list all I saw is "what to do with Wild Turkey" and thought that was a no-brainer.

Beerd
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I boned out the breast of this tom and marinated it in "Zesty Italian" salad dressing.

Slow cooked over charcoal, it was right tasty.

Just for fun I put a skinned out drumstick in the crockpot with some veggies one morning.
About 8 hours later the carrots were done fine but the meat was a little "chewy" :mrgreen:
From now on the legs go in the grinder.

Drilling Man
05-15-2008, 08:35 PM
I harvested this one last spring,

http://www.fototime.com/FCA4029ABA44E24/orig.jpg

I boned it out, and ran the meat through the meat grinder. Then i added some spicy Italian sausage to the meat, and made meat loaf or burgers as i want them...

Dm

Morgan Astorbilt
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
What to do with wild turkey meat? Throw the meat away and then you just have Wild Turkey. Little ice is all you need then.

No, you need more than that. I like to put a tall wet glass in the freezer, 'till it's got a good coat of ice over the outside. Then I crush a mint leaf in a teaspoon of water in the bottom, add a teaspoon of sugar, and fill it to the brim with some good old 101proof Wild Turkey.
AHHH! Sittin' in the old rockin' chair and sippin'. Can't wait for the hot weather to get here!
Morgan

KCSO
05-16-2008, 11:33 AM
De bone alll the meat from one wild turkey, Put this in a dutch oven and add 1 cup of Wild Turkey and 1 can of beer. Place over coals and put some on top of the oven. Coook closed for 3-4 hours depending on how many coals you add.

Goood Eating.

ihuntbuck
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
thanks for all the tasty recipes. i just cant seem to get motivated to do much cookin once i start takin shots:-D:drinks:

Morgan Astorbilt
05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
De bone alll the meat from one wild turkey, Put this in a dutch oven and add 1 cup of Wild Turkey and 1 can of beer. Place over coals and put some on top of the oven. Coook closed for 3-4 hours depending on how many coals you add.

Goood Eating.

I'm expecting you mean add the liqiud refreshments to you stomach contents, and not waste them on the turkey.:drinks:
Morgan

BTW, for all you fellow Yankees out there, I gave you my special recipe for Mint Julep in the other post. Strong from the git-go, doesn't sneak up on you like that sweet smoothe Southern Comfort, which I think is only fit for gettin' the ladies "relaxed".:mrgreen:
Morgan

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I bone out the breast and cut it into strips and fry them with fry majic or drakes and then put it in spegetti sause and server over noodles.

pumpguy
05-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Cover in bacon strips and put over a hickory fueled smoker. Incredible.

Morgan Astorbilt
05-17-2008, 02:02 AM
I thought after seeing those fine turkeys got the normal way, I'd show you how I bagged a young tom, in a different way. This was back in 1986, on Long Island. I was out with my falconry partner Tony, hunting with a pair of Harris' Hawks, when we came upon a flock of turkeys. We cast the birds off, my hawk got it by the neck, and Tony's by the back, and brought it down. I finished it off with a knife before it could catch one of our hawks with its spurs.
This was the first, and maybe the only, wild turkey ever taken through falconry.

Oh Yea, We cooked it up just like a store bought bird, at our annual falconry dinner (all wild caught game), and except for a smaller breast, tasted just like one. Maybe because it was young.
Sorry for the poor picture quality, I just took a shot of the print, and uploaded it.
Morgan
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/turkey1.jpg

357maximum
05-22-2008, 03:20 AM
The perfect turkey recipe:

1. Kill bird
2. breast bird
3. Take over to BaBore's house and have him throw it on that sweet homemade smoker/grill of his for a few hours.
4. Enjoy some tasty vittles.

Lloyd Smale
05-25-2008, 07:40 AM
morgan that is very cool!!!
I thought after seeing those fine turkeys got the normal way, I'd show you how I bagged a young tom, in a different way. This was back in 1986, on Long Island. I was out with my falconry partner Tony, hunting with a pair of Harris' Hawks, when we came upon a flock of turkeys. We cast the birds off, my hawk got it by the neck, and Tony's by the back, and brought it down. I finished it off with a knife before it could catch one of our hawks with its spurs.
This was the first, and maybe the only, wild turkey ever taken through falconry.

Oh Yea, We cooked it up just like a store bought bird, at our annual falconry dinner (all wild caught game), and except for a smaller breast, tasted just like one. Maybe because it was young.
Sorry for the poor picture quality, I just took a shot of the print, and uploaded it.
Morgan
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/pgfaini/turkey1.jpg

chaos
05-25-2008, 09:36 AM
When I Used to hunt Turkey, I liked to shoot them with an 180 gr Nosler ballistic tip loaded to the maximum out of my .300 winchester magnum. This round will really clean their clock and RUIN all possible chance of eating any of the meat.

On a serious note:

In my opinion, Turkeys are nothing more than GROUND BUZZARDS. I LITERALLY vomit when trying to clean the things. They are the nastiest animals on the face of the earth. I have not taken one in about 10 years. The last time I hunted them, I took 3 big toms in one morning. Carried them over to my Dad's house and let him clean the filthy ********. ( I shot the 3 birds as was requested of me for Thanksgiving). I dont know about all the different Subspecies, but Rio Grandes are about the dumbest of all game animals. It's pretty easy to fill out your 4 tags in one sitting.
Leave your high dollar Turkey calls and such at home. All that is needed to take Rios is a good car horn and a loud yelling voice.

DLCTEX
05-25-2008, 11:35 PM
I peel back the skin of the breast, remove breast meat from the bone, slice it across the grain 1/2 in. thick. Pound with meat hammer, dip in milk, bread it with seasoned flour, and fry in a skillet. Make gravy from the drippings. Good eating and little mess. DALE

Morgan Astorbilt
05-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Kinda reminds me of my dad's recipe for wild black duck:

1- Dip in hot water, and pluck, being careful to remove all pinfeathers.
2- Cut open and remove entrails.
3- Stuff with apples, pears and cranberries, and sew up cavity.
4- Insert toothpicks in the skin, pointing down to drain fat, and place in pan on a redbrick.
5- Cook at 350º for two hrs.
6- Remove from heat, allow to cool 10min., throw out the duck and eat the redbrick.:drinks:

Morgan