PDA

View Full Version : Lee 10# bottom pour spout clogged

Jaxon2
05-12-2016, 03:44 PM
I have a 10# bottom pour lee production pot and the spout is clogged and won't pour. Any ideas on how to fix this? I tried turning the heat all the way up and stuck a paperclip up the nozzle and twisted it around, but still nothing.

Thanks

runfiverun
05-12-2016, 05:40 PM
heat the paper clip up too.
wear gloves and keep your hands away from the spout.
when it comes it will come until you get the rod in the pot back into place again.

Mike W1
05-12-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm sure you're holding the paper clip with a plier for starters and the pot is up to melt temperature. That hole in the spout isn't in the same plane as the hole for the rod is so it's likely it's gonna take some up and down motion to get thru there. You might heat the spout with a propane torch also. I find making a little tool like this much handier as the spout should also be cleaned when the stream becomes slow or doesn't pour straight down.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Mike4245/HPIM1925_zpsfbd96318.jpg

dsh1106
05-12-2016, 08:43 PM
propane torch

gwpercle
05-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Time to empty and clean out the pot. Just unclogging the spout is a temporary fix thing ...I was amazed at all the crud in the bottom and on the sides of mine. Regular maintenance is required to keep the bottom pours clear.
Gary

myg30
05-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Time to empty and clean out the pot. Just unclogging the spout is a temporary fix thing ...I was amazed at all the crud in the bottom and on the sides of mine. Regular maintenance is required to keep the bottom pours clear.
Gary

Dump the pot clean everything. You won't have to do it again fer a while.
If you use the pot to smelt dirty lead then you'll be doing it more often.
Rotating that the rod in the spout from time to time breaks off collected crud.

Mike

shooterg
05-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Get a ladle !

Loudy13
05-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Propane torch!, I had the same deal with mine and that was the only way to get it flowing again. Once it is going you can use a long lighter for a quick fix but the torch works much better. If its anything like mine it will probably need a good cleaning the previous owner must have used the dirtiest lead he could find in it.

robg
05-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Bent bit of paperclip works for me

Mike W1
05-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Get a ladle !

Real good suggestion for a fellow that bottom pours. NOT

ncbearman
05-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Dump the pot clean everything. You won't have to do it again fer a while.
If you use the pot to smelt dirty lead then you'll be doing it more often.
Rotating that the rod in the spout from time to time breaks off collected crud.

Mike

Good suggestion. Also once it is apart you can use the torch from the inside too and on the rod tip.

243winxb
05-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Copper in the alloy may plug a bottom pour spout. Next time bring the pot/alloy temperature up slowly, till it just turns liquid. Dont flux. Skim the lumps off the surface and discard it. Turn temperature up all the way, flux, cast. When boolits drop from the mold, frosted, drop the heat back a litttle.

MT Chambers
05-25-2016, 10:58 PM
With the drip-o-matic, once you get it unclogged should run for awhile, whether you want it to or not.

GONRA
05-28-2016, 05:56 PM
GONRA has used small nails (or wotever) for decades held with an olde
rusty beatup "long nose pliers" found on my property.
WEAR PROPER GLOVES!!! GOGGLES TOO OF COURSE!!!!

country gent
05-28-2016, 09:00 PM
If you have a welding supply shop nearby get a set of the files for cleaning tourch tips. they are in small case and in various sizes to clean tourch tips. They work great for cleaning the spout on the lee pots. A small drill works if you know what size you need. Once clean get your nuber drill set out and see what fits then write it on the pot next to the dial so you know when it happens again. A drill set into tubing and a pin on the other side to support it allows it to be turned feed in from the bottom either by hand or a low speed driver. Heat may be required to loosen it up. for this removing the aluminum cover on the bottom helps get the flame on the spout pots bottom better. While apart a good cleaning with a drill motor and cupped wire brush helps alot. Once back together if spout seals good enough a boiling with dish soap water or water vinegar mix will help also. Once cleaned and clean ingots used it should run a long time

beechbum444
05-29-2016, 11:51 PM
The paper clip trick works most of the time. I had the same problem that the paper clip would not fix. I had to order replacement parts from Lee and put a new spout in the melter.

psychbiker
05-31-2016, 01:09 PM
propane torch

I keep a self igniting propane torch on my bench. Sometimes when adding more ingots to the pot the tip cools. A quick hit with the torch and it unclogs.