PDA

View Full Version : PC gas checks

original
05-12-2016, 02:42 PM
In the near future I will be making my own gas checks but just read how there are two schools on aluminum checks being bad for the barrel. Could I seat an aluminum check do the shake and bake thing and have the check coated also for added protection? thanks

Smoke4320
05-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Yes Installing the checks Then powdercoating will work just fine ..
I do that in the few HV I shoot thru suppressors .. Just an assurance they will not come off in the suppressor and have a major issue

original
05-20-2016, 01:48 PM
thanks for the info.

Freightman
05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
I have tried the shake and bake with aluminum checks a lot came off, so had to size first to clamp on, then shake and bake.

bangerjim
05-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Yes - - most times you have to size 1st to crimp on the check and then PC them.

That method always works for me with Cu checks........the ONLY material I use for checks.

And that is why I try to avoid loading any rounds that need checks. Just way too much work for the resultant increase in velocity for my needs.

Freightman
05-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Jim I have cut the GC grove out of a 200 gr Lee mold .311 and had no leading at 2200+-FPS

bangerjim
05-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I may have to set up my mill to bore out some of my GC'd molds.

bstone5
05-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Most factory gas checks have a shallow cup and do not go very far up on the side of the bullets.
I make the gas check makers and have found a deeper cup will result in a gas ckeck that will not come off.

I make a lot of gas ckecks from cola can material with the deep cup, the side of the gas check sides has wrinkles when the gas check is made.

When the gas check is installed by pushing thru the Lee Sizind Die the wrinkles are forced down into the lead bullet.

The wrinkle when flattened out by the sizing die really makes the gas check stick on the bullet.

All of the cast bullets made are plan bevel base bullets made from Molds in an automated Master Machine.

I have tried installing the gas check before powder coating but have found the deep cup gas ckeck works fine with installing after powder coating.

With the deep cup I use the same gas check on 380, 9mm and 35 caliber cast bullets.

Similary the same gas check is used on 44 and 45 caliber bullets.

The gas ckeck makers are from the data from the PDF made by Ed Smith on this site several years back.