PDA

View Full Version : Good mornings for casting

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-11-2016, 01:38 PM
I DON"T LIKE HOT WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now that is out of the way, I have been wanting to get to some bullet casting after shoulder surgery in January and have been released by the Doc. and the Pain and Torture is over, so the forecast was for a couple cool days here in Ideeeeho.

Grabbed the opportunity and cast Monday and Tuesday mornings. Just less then 2 hours on Monday and a bit over 2 hours yesterday - Tuesday - morning.

My wife is visually impaired and to some lessor degree physically, so I am her care giver and cook, which means I needed to get er done before she got up. She usually sleeps in late, but still kept her waiting a while on Monday.

Anyway, Good sessions! About 27lbs of .38 banger bullets from two lee 6 cavity 158gr molds on Monday. The molds are what they are, cheap, but for the price and considering these are just banger/practice bullets the almost 1200 bullets will do just fine.

Tuesday, I used again two molds (4 cavity), both Accurate Molds, one casting a 275/280gr .444 Wide flat nose bullet that I am also using in in .44 mags including working up loads in a RUGER 77/44, and the other casting 175gr .38/357 bullets which my son is using to develop loads in his 77/.357.

Both of these bullets are a gas check style.

Oh my, but those Accurate Molds are a fine product! Just over two hours of casting gave me about 31.5lbs of combined production, about 19.5lbs. (487) of the .444/.44 and 12lbs. (454) of the .357 bullets.

Anyway, a couple good mornings with over 58lbs. of bullets ready for sizing and lubing.

Have 500+ of the 158gr banger bullets already sized/lubed and just short of 350 already loaded ahead of 5gr of Bullseye for practice out of .357 rated handguns.

I have more load development yet to do with the 77/44, the next two testing sessions will be with 300MP and Lil'gun.

H110 seems to be doing OK at 100yds, but as always would like something a bit better. As it currently stand, it would be a 100yd. deer gun with that Wide Flat Nose cast.

All the bullets were cast of just plain old Wheel Weights, water quenched as they dropped form the molds.

It will take me a goodly bit longer to get everything sized and lubed and where needed, Gas checked, but this will keep me shoot'in again for awhile.

Now, if it will just stay cool! Did I mention I HATE hot weather?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

runfiverun
05-11-2016, 02:27 PM
it'll be cool today..
you must not be getting the weather we are down here it was hail or snow the last couple of day's.
I have been waiting on a stock to dry completely for a bit over 24 hrs now.
I had to add some heat via the heat gun to help it along this morning, i'll probably do that 2 more times today before the clear coat starts going on.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
What stock and what finish?

CDOC

Boolseye
05-21-2016, 08:25 AM
We get a seriously modified version of your weather about 2.5 days later...I'm still firing up the wood stove mornings in VT. It can stay like this all year as far as I'm concerned.

Bent Ramrod
05-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Same as good shooting weather. Moderate to coolish temperatures and a minimum of wind gusting. I don't like the smoke and/or flames from fluxing whipping around while I'm stirring it in.

Sometimes whether to go to the range or stay home and cast is one of those "tough decisions" some leaders boast that they make all the time.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-21-2016, 12:25 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!! to temps in the sub 70s.

Hate it when my skin leaks!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DerekP Houston
05-21-2016, 01:11 PM
We get a seriously modified version of your weather about 2.5 days later...I'm still firing up the wood stove mornings in VT. It can stay like this all year as far as I'm concerned.

I would love some cold weather we didn't even turn the heat on this year!