PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Lead out

docone31
05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I know I am supposed to know these things, but,
What is the best way to get the lead out of the bore?
How about corrosive salts in the bore after a session with MilSurp Berdan primed ammo?
I have read this, that, this again, also that one, so many ways.
I really want my barrels to shine inside.
I have a really rare Enfield #1MKIII with a bull barrel. Full furniture, but the previous owner never took care of it. The bore is intact, no pitting. I do like shooting it and the barrel is still being broken in.
I have considered using a firelapping system.
What would you guys do?

JSnover
05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Clymer makes a lead removal clith for that. Wrap it around a brush or a bore mop and start scrubbing. Fine copper screen will work, too. Corrosive salts can be cleaned with hot water, same as BP fouling.
I don't know if I'd lap it just yet if the bore hasn't even broken in. There have been some pretty heated discussions about that but I'd save lapping as the last option, rather than the first.

Calamity Jake
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Wrap some ChoreBoy copper cleaning pad(the nonsoppy kind) around a cleaning brush, add a little hoppies #9 and go to stroking, it will take the lead out. A Lewis Lead Remover will do the same thing but costs more.

StrawHat
05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Once you get the lead out, a series of paper jacketed bullets will really shine that bore.

Also, the paper jacket will help smooth out rough areas.

cgrivois
05-13-2008, 08:06 PM
50/50 hydrogen peroxide to white vinegar. May be difficult to soak a rifle barrel, but let is soak for a couple of minutes, then run a swab down the bore. Make sure you rinse after to neutralize the solution. Works wonders in pistol barrels, your mileage may vary.

John Boy
05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Wet patch of Eezox ... http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html - let set for 15 minutes - brush and then patch