PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 22 Hornet Single Shot?

davidheart
05-11-2016, 10:20 AM
I know there's an answer to this... but I'm having a hard time pinning it. Is there a single shot 22 hornet that weighs about 4lbs? Just a curiosity. My 22 Hornet Savage weighs about 7 1/2lbs. It's never leaving my possession... ever... but I'm curious to know a lightweight option.

Modern production or old production. :)

pertnear
05-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Look for a Ruger #3 single shot.

LIMPINGJ
05-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Contender carbine.

rockrat
05-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Maybe a Handi-rifle with the lighter weight barrel. Not 4 lbs, but fairly light. Add synthetic stocks, it could be close to your wants.

EDG
05-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Contender carbine with the plastic stock could not weight much more than 4 lbs.
I have a .44 Magnum Contender. The barrel is all hole so it weighs very little.

pietro
05-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Excepting a .22H high wall, the .22H Ruger #3 is about the heaviest .22H sporting rifle I can think of.

OTOH, a .22H T/C G-1/G-2 Contender Carbine would be about the lightest.

The newer Contender's have heavier Encore-style reinforced receiver sidewalls, making them heavier than the earlier Contenders.

Skipper
05-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Little Sharps.....6 lbs

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/829

Lyman Ideal Model Sharps

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/review-lyman-ideal-model-sharps/

I own the Lyman model in .38-55 and it's accurate as all get out....looks great, too.

davidheart
05-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Lyman Ideal Model Sharps

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/review-lyman-ideal-model-sharps/

I own the Lyman model in .38-55 and it's accurate as all get out....looks great, too.

That's a fine looking firearm. Why is it $1,500? :(

JMtoolman
05-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Rebarrel a Martini Cadet, probably 3 1/2 lbs.

Outpost75
05-11-2016, 04:49 PM
I have two pre-WW2 H&R .44/.410 single-shot actions which I have used as the basis for having built light walking rifles with several interchangible barrels which can be selected based on the caliber of the handgun I am carrying. I have two actions and barrels in .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, .44-40 and .45 ACP.

The .44-40 rifle shown vertically in the thumbnail is 34" overall with 19-1/2" barrel and weighs exactly 4 pounds.

The .32 S&W Long barrel which fits the same receiver is 18" long and was made from a pull-off M1 Garand barrel, cutting off behind the gas port, and at the chamber neck, turning down the contour to match the original .410 barrel and fitting XS sights. It weighs 4-1/4 pounds because the hole down the barrel is smaller. The 24" .38 Special and .32 S&W Long barrels turned to the skinny contour of the original .410 barrel weigh 4-1/2 and 4-3/4 pounds.

The 18" .32 S&W Long was originally done as a .32 ACP for experimentation, but after I had a Remington 580 bolt action done in .32 ACP I had it rechambered to .32 S&W Long to experiment with heavy bullets subsonic, as its 10" twist stabilizes 155-grain flatpoint Accurate 31-155D bullets subsonic with 5.5 grains of Alliant #2400. The longer .32 S&W Long barrel has a 20" twist like the .32-20, but does not shoot well with bullets heavier than about 120 grains. The faster twist is MUCH better!

John Taylor does ALOT of these!

167993 167991167994167992

kenyerian
05-11-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't remember what the Winchester Model 43 weighed but I'm sure it was less than 7 lbs.

country gent
05-11-2016, 05:31 PM
The martini cadets can be built up into a very compact "walking" rifle. I have one that was built into a 218 bee shillen barrel Light sporter wieght 20" length. Tree Bone walnut buttstock and forend. It goes about 5 lbs. a little wieght could be shaved with maple or birch for the stock and omiting the cheekpiece and pistol grip mine has. Its a great little walking rifle for woodchucks and other varmints. The #3s Ive handled seemed to be in the 8lb range when ready to use. Another would be one of the H&R Nef single shots in 22 hornet with the barrel re tapered some.

MT Gianni
05-11-2016, 08:26 PM
That's a fine looking firearm. Why is it $1,500? :(
Fit and finish.

shoot-n-lead
05-11-2016, 08:31 PM
I have this Handi Rifle...not 4lbs, but it is VERY light.

richhodg66
05-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Don't know what it weighs, but my Savage 219 is very trim and handy, graceful in the hands, I love it. I'm guessing not much more than five pounds.

richhodg66
05-11-2016, 08:53 PM
I have two pre-WW2 H&R .44/.410 single-shot actions which I have used as the basis for having built light walking rifles with several interchangible barrels which can be selected based on the caliber of the handgun I am carrying. I have two actions and barrels in .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, .44-40 and .45 ACP.

The .44-40 rifle shown vertically in the thumbnail is 34" overall with 19-1/2" barrel and weighs exactly 4 pounds.

The .32 S&W Long barrel which fits the same receiver is 18" long and was made from a pull-off M1 Garand barrel, cutting off behind the gas port, and at the chamber neck, turning down the contour to match the original .410 barrel and fitting XS sights. It weighs 4-1/4 pounds because the hole down the barrel is smaller. The 24" .38 Special and .32 S&W Long barrels turned to the skinny contour of the original .410 barrel weigh 4-1/2 and 4-3/4 pounds.

The 18" .32 S&W Long was originally done as a .32 ACP for experimentation, but after I had a Remington 580 bolt action done in .32 ACP I had it rechambered to .32 S&W Long to experiment with heavy bullets subsonic, as its 10" twist stabilizes 155-grain flatpoint Accurate 31-155D bullets subsonic with 5.5 grains of Alliant #2400. The longer .32 S&W Long barrel has a 20" twist like the .32-20, but does not shoot well with bullets heavier than about 120 grains. The faster twist is MUCH better!

John Taylor does ALOT of these!

167993 167991167994167992

One day, I am going to build (or have built) something very similar. I have a spare Savage 219 with a ruined barrel and also a shotgun barrel I can donate for a stub. This would seem to be the perfect rifle for about 90% of what a rifle should do in my situation anyway.

Pardini
05-11-2016, 11:24 PM
I think my Browning Low Wall is right at 6#'s.

davidheart
05-12-2016, 11:34 AM
That Martini Cadet looks like a winner in my eyes. :)

country gent
05-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Every one who handles mine really likes it alot. Mine does have the cheek piece and pistol grip on the buttstock and a slightly heavier forearm. But its just such a mild rifle recoil and report. so well balanced and easy to carry, along with very accurate that I wouldnt change anything on it. It wears a 2-7 redfield scope that does well over the cartridges range. The cadet is a fun project to build or have built. USe a good barrel and a reputable smith and youll have a winner.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-12-2016, 01:17 PM
The martini cadets can be built up into a very compact "walking" rifle. I have one that was built into a 218 bee shillen barrel Light sporter wieght 20" length. Tree Bone walnut buttstock and forend. It goes about 5 lbs. a little wieght could be shaved with maple or birch for the stock and omiting the cheekpiece and pistol grip mine has. Its a great little walking rifle for woodchucks and other varmints. The #3s Ive handled seemed to be in the 8lb range when ready to use. Another would be one of the H&R Nef single shots in 22 hornet with the barrel re tapered some.

Does it have to be a Hornet? A lot of these rifles were built into extremely good varmint rifles, but heavier varmint rifles than the OP wants, and more often for the .218 Bee than the Hornet. They sometimes sell quite cheaply, since they don't have aluminium lowers and so on. Original Cadets are expensive now, and a shame to modify. So turning down the barrel and reducing the stock of one of these might be the easiest and most economical way to go.

The barrel could be set back and rechambered if a Hornet is wanted. There is even a National Special ¾ - 14 die, available cheaply from China on eBay, with which the careful amateur could do this without a lathe. It is 60 degree threaded, while the Cadet action is threaded 55 degree Whitworth system. But that is only what most American gunsmiths do when rebarrelling much more powerful Mausers.

Beware of ¾ - 14 dies, though, as most of them are the British or American pipe dies, in which that is a larger die for pipes with a nominal ¾in. bore.

It should be possible to get a Cadet below 5lb. Birch and maple are usually heavier than walnut, but if I wanted a really light rifle I would make the right side of the butt concave, exposing a shorter stock bolt, turned with an Allen key, with its head just behind the pistol grip.

davidheart
05-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Does it have to be a Hornet? A lot of these rifles were built into extremely good varmint rifles, but heavier varmint rifles than the OP wants, and more often for the .218 Bee than the Hornet. They sometimes sell quite cheaply, since they don't have aluminium lowers and so on. Original Cadets are expensive now, and a shame to modify. So turning down the barrel and reducing the stock of one of these might be the easiest and most economical way to go.

The barrel could be set back and rechambered if a Hornet is wanted. There is even a National Special ¾
- 14 die, available cheaply from China on eBay, with which the careful amateur could do this without a lathe. It is 60 degree threaded, while the Cadet action is threaded 55 degree Whitworth system. But that is only what most American gunsmiths do when rebarrelling much more powerful Mausers.

Beware of ¾ - 14 dies, though, as most of them are the British or American pipe dies, in which that is a larger die for pipes with a nominal ¾in. bore.

I would say Hornet because I have a very solid setup for 22 Hornet. I have enough for reloading 22 hornet or 223 and could do so anywhere from squirrel to deer. I'm thinking a nice, light rifle my little ones could shoot or I could break down and take on a backpacking hike for squirrel, rabbit, and maybe the Southern deer. If my little girl wanted to shoot it I thought it'd be a nice starter rifle as well. Just thinking out loud.

MostlyOnThePaper
05-12-2016, 04:55 PM

I was thinking mine is definitely less than 7lbs. Could be lighter without the octagon barrel.

kenyerian
05-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Looks like a contender would be hard to beat. I have a 10" barrel on a G1 in 22 Hornet That I carry often when I am checking out the Back 40. Very light to carry. The Grandkids all like to shoot it also.

rollmyown
05-13-2016, 06:06 AM
I agree with the cadet action . I have a Sportco 22 hornet (an Australian 310 cadet conversion). Very accurate and light.
I'd like one in 218 bee and 25/20. Great little walk around rifle for small game.

sharps4590
05-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Rook rifle, relined, chambered to 22 Hornet. 4 1/2 lbs.

Clay M
05-13-2016, 10:43 AM

That is what I also have.
It is a beautiful little rifle, and very accurate as long as I use LiL' Gun powder.

MT Gianni
05-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Find an H&R shotgun in decent shape, a good 22 bbl and have it stubbed and rechambered.

Huvius
05-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Rook rifle, relined, chambered to 22 Hornet. 4 1/2 lbs.

+1 on this route!

BigEyeBob
05-13-2016, 09:49 PM
A 25-20 Martini sold for $565AU on one of the online gun sales sites here about a fortnight ago .It was scoped as well.
Pity I was too busy and didn't get to see it before it was sold other wise ,I would have bought it .
Another 22LR sold for $395 AU , I would have re chambered that to 22 mag or 22hornet .
Once again too slow.

richhodg66
05-14-2016, 07:17 AM
Check out the thread going on Yildiz shotguns from Academy. Those little things are about as light and trim as they come, sure got the wheels turning in my head for a Rook rifle project.

gnoahhh
05-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Here is my solution for a lightweight .22 Hornet.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/gnoahhh/002_zpsabmjizyc.jpg (http://s481.photobucket.com/user/gnoahhh/media/002_zpsabmjizyc.jpg.html)

German stalking rifle. Kipplauf? No makers name, 1940 proof marks. 5.6x35R chambering (.22 Hornet). 26" octagon barrel, .226 bore, 1-9" twist (handles heavy bullets beautifully). Five pounds all-up. The little sweetie will put 5 .22 Bators into 1/2" @50 yards (6gr. 2400/small pistol primer).

The scope is one of those 4x Gru-Bee's- a Chinese made copy of the defunct Redfield 3/4" 4x scope. Best $139 I ever spent. Image is extremely bright, and so sharp it'll cut your eye. Parallax virtually non-existent. Positive click adjustments. Engineered and imported by a guy in Oklahoma. I can't recommend it enough if you need to scope a dainty little rifle. The Chinese will build to any level of quality they are asked to do. As long as the customer demands and pays for the best, they can do world-class optics. This is one of them.

sharps4590
05-14-2016, 12:05 PM
gnoahh, that just might have been my first choice if I weren't working with a Jeffrey Rook rifle right now. Gotta love a nice, light Kiplauf.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-14-2016, 02:04 PM

Excepting a .22H high wall, the .22H Ruger #3 is about the heaviest .22H sporting rifle I can think of.
...snip

These posts made me go weigh my 22H Ruger #3, now it does have a old, large, steel Weaver K12 on it, it comes on at 8lb 6oz....kinda heavy for such a cute little carbine.

leadman
05-15-2016, 02:49 AM
I have 2 Contender 21" tapered carbine barrels, one is 30-30 Win, other is a rechambered 22lr to 22 K-Hornet. The 30-30 with 4X Weaver weighs just over #5 with wood stocks. I haven't weighed the Hornet but it could be made lighter by shortening the barrel and changing to synthetic stocks.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-15-2016, 05:20 AM

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr174/gnoahhh/002_zpsabmjizyc.jpg (http://s481.photobucket.com/user/gnoahhh/media/002_zpsabmjizyc.jpg.html)

German stalking rifle. Kipplauf? No makers name, 1940 proof marks. 5.6x35R chambering (.22 Hornet). 26" octagon barrel, .226 bore, 1-9" twist (handles heavy bullets beautifully). Five pounds all-up. The little sweetie will put 5 .22 Bators into 1/2" @50 yards (6gr. 2400/small pistol primer).

The scope is one of those 4x Gru-Bee's- a Chinese made copy of the defunct Redfield 3/4" 4x scope. Best $139 I ever spent. Image is extremely bright, and so sharp it'll cut your eye. Parallax virtually non-existent. Positive click adjustments. Engineered and imported by a guy in Oklahoma. I can't recommend it enough if you need to scope a dainty little rifle. The Chinese will build to any level of quality they are asked to do. As long as the customer demands and pays for the best, they can do world-class optics. This is one of them.

The first owner of this rifle almost certainly thought he was getting a 5.6x35 Vierling, which was basically the .22WCF before the Hornet was developed. It was less heavily loaded than the modern Hornet, although the first to much exceeded the velocity of the WCF. Not that that matters much in this beautiful little rifle. But I would choose carefully if I was modifying a rook rifle for the Hornet. Some are amply strong, others (although perfectly good for their intended purpose) aren't, or would be the better for having the firing-pin reduced in diameter and bushed.

Another point to watch for, for someone else comes across a rifle like this for sale, is that it could be for the 5.6x53 or 5.6x33R rook rifle cartridges, which were largely displaced from the marketplace by the Vierling, and the seller may not know it. There is no real difference in functionality if you load your own. But the brass is slightly larger in diameter at the head, at .325in., and different from any easily available brass.

I've got a Tasco Bantam scope which is very useful for the small Martinis. It is a 2.5x32 (though they also made it in 2.5x20), very short and light, with an eye relief of about 5in., which allows it to sit over the front of the breechblock. It is discontinued, but ought to come up on eBay, and I have seen very good reports from people who used them on much more heavily recoiling slug shotguns. It is a Chinese Tasco, but very bright, and I found the magnification ample for the uses to which you would put a light rifle.

castaroo
05-15-2016, 05:43 AM
cbc151 ,5lbs with scope and shoots cast well ,Roo

richhodg66
05-15-2016, 08:12 AM

That's a beautiful rifle, Gary. I'd love to have something like that, but the Savage 219 and little Handi I have will have to suffice for now.

Do you have a link to where a guy could get one of those scopes? That appears to be exactly what I was looking for to mount on the Handi Rifle I have.

gnoahhh
05-15-2016, 09:41 AM
No link, Rich. He is marketing them on eBay as a "buy it now". A google search will get you to the website also. Just type in "Gru-Bee" on both counts.

I'm sure the first owner knew what he was getting as it is engraved "5.6x35R" on the barrel, but again, no makers name or even an address. German proofs indicating July, 1940 proving. I got it from a guy who rescued it from a pawn shop for peanuts, and I paid him hazlenuts to get it.

John Taylor
05-15-2016, 10:41 AM
If I remember right the original M4 survival rifle was a very light 22 Hornet bolt action. Winchester used the same size and twist as the 22 LR for their Hornets on the model 54 and 70. Most of the single shot 410s could be made into a Hornet but may need the firing pin bushed. I have mad a few on the cadet action, firing pin needs to be bushed. The M6 was another light weight 22 hornet that had a 410 barrel over/under stile.

pietro
05-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Do you have a link to where a guy could get one of those scopes?

Here's a link to the baby Redfield (clone) scope maker's website - there's a "contact" section in it, so you might be able to find out who the US importers are.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/chinagas/product-detailfqsEtbnjgBGc/China-4X-24-Rimfire-3-4-Tube-Riflescope-Replica-of-Baby-Redfield.html

gnoahhh
05-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Just google "Gru-Bee" and click on the company's website. They market gas motors for bicycles among other things. There is a complete spec sheet on their website. Like I said, I think they are only marketing them via eBay at this time. Just type in "Gru-Bee" in the eBay search engine. That link above is for the Chinese factory that makes them, and is only good if you want to buy 200 at a time.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-15-2016, 04:42 PM
I would guess that if you could get a US FFL dealer to contact them, they would be glad to send a paid-for sample. Not many people will order 200 scopes from China sight unseen.

Another point is that if the Yildiz bore is hard chrome plated, it would need to be the liner that is turned down to fit. 7/16 to .410 shouldn't be too much.

davidheart
05-17-2016, 11:04 AM
gnoahhh That is a beautiful rifle and the exact sort of thing my post was about. Kudos to you!

I looked up the weight of the Ruger #3's too and they really are too heavy for what I'd be looking for. Even the Martini Cadet weighs about 7lbs according to the interwebs. A superlight Rook rifle or similar may be up my alley someday... unless I find myself custom building one. The problem being I wouldn't want to spend more than $400-$500 for one. Some of the suggestions I saw are upwards of $1500!

gnoahhh
05-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Well, if you are diligent (and lucky) you might find one like mine. I gave $85 for it 3 years ago...

rking22
05-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Speaking for those of us who lust for a nice rook rifle..... that was just cruel :lol:

CHeatermk3
05-17-2016, 07:32 PM
There's a Savage 219 22 Hornet here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?307025-FS-or-Trade-Couple-of-Guns

Earlwb
05-17-2016, 08:13 PM
One thought is to get a Yildiz .410 shotgun. It is a single shot and weighs about 3.3 pounds. The guns are pretty inexpensive too. Then you get a .22 Hornet Barrel insert for the shotgun. Now you are in business. Plus it likely weighs a little under four pounds too. There is another thread just below this one where they are discussing the Yildiz .410 shotgun and converting it to other calibers.

richhodg66
05-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Well, if you are diligent (and lucky) you might find one like mine. I gave $85 for it 3 years ago...

I'll give you $86 for it and pay the shipping!:D

Why can't I ever luck into a deal like that?

gnoahhh
05-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Very magnanimous of you Rich! I'll take it under advisement.

SSGOldfart
05-18-2016, 12:52 AM
Contender carbine.
Bingo my contender carbine weighs in at 4.3#'s with wood furniture,might even be less with rubber??

davidheart
05-18-2016, 02:20 PM
I'll give you $86 for it and pay the shipping!:D

Why can't I ever luck into a deal like that?

Haha I was going to offer $100 + Shipping. :D :D

Do I hear 105 going once going twice?

BwBrown
05-25-2016, 09:22 PM
I picked up an old BRNO ZBK-110 break action in .22 Hornet. It is a real featherweight.

richhodg66
05-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I picked up an old BRNO ZBK-110 break action in .22 Hornet. It is a real featherweight.

I saw one of those on Gunbroker the other day and was intrigued. Looks almost like a copy of a Savage 219. How does it shoot?