PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the 311299 today

Friends call me Pac
05-10-2016, 03:48 PM
I have a thread about my goal of hitting my gong at 600 yards with my Rem 700 and a 311299. I have been given some solid advice. One of those nuggets is to use Lyman #2 instead of my ww/scrap mix I am using now. And I plan to do that in the future. The problem is I have about 300 ww/scrap bullets to shoot up first. I guess it really is a good problem to have though. So I have been trying to see what kind of 10 shot strings I can come up with using what I have already poured up.

This was last week's targets at 100 yards with the Rem 700 / 311299 & 2400

167903 167904 167905

I went today but the wind was horrible. The target stand was flopping back and forth and I know one of the bad shots was due to this but the other was more than likely my fault. Same bullet/powder/ rifle combo. Distance was 100 yards.

With the target moving so much I shot my next 40 rounds at the 300 and 400 yard steel targets. I was hammering the 300 but never did hit the 400.

Having fun trying.

TXGunNut
05-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Having fun trying. -Pac

At the end of the day, that's all that matters. I have some #2 stashed away for when I get "serious".

Bent Ramrod
05-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Do you weigh your boolits after casting? I like to annoy the 500 yd gong off the bench with a .30-40 and Ideal 311467. I seem to get fewer "outs" and longer strings of hits when I use boolits selected by weight than with the general run of the mine.

I have the remains of a coffee can full of 311467 to use up and then will try a longer boolit to see if things improve at long range. But they work pretty well, and what you have to use up ought to also, if properly sized, lubed, and the light ones culled out.

Friends call me Pac
05-11-2016, 06:29 PM
I don't weigh the individual bullets. I haven't gotten that technical just yet. My powder charge isn't exact either. I took a .38 case and sanded it down to make a dipper. The charge is mighty close but like I said not exact. I generally use a progressive loader with a hopper but with the 30.06 and casts I have been using my single stage press and dipper. The bottom bull's eye target is a 10 shot string and is my best 10 shot 100 yard string yet.

I really enjoy the challenge. I kind of see it the same way I do with bowhunting. 8 years ago I switched to a recurve instead of my compound. Soon the change to a longbow was made and for the last 4 years I've been using a longbow that I made. My arrows have gone from carbon to aluminum and eventually to wood or rivercane that I craft myself. Shooting my own cast gives me the same satisfaction. One day I will pop that 600 yard gong. It is just a matter of time. I know I can load up jacketed and reach on out there but for me the challenge just isn't the same. I sure have received lots of great advise from this site. I am really enjoying the journey.