PDA

View Full Version : The good the bad and the stupid of molds

firebyprolong
05-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Ok so I just picked up a car load of stuff from a cast bullet bench rester's friend who he left everthing to. Real nice lady but completely in the dark as to what defined a good mold and how to care for iron mold blocks. Long story short I picked up to 30 cal egean brass molds ( good like as in one is unused) and 2 other rcbs 30 cal molds that mabey I can salvage. ( as in various stages of rust) and 2 Rcbs and one Lyman that some fool took a wire wheel to like they where doing auto body work ( stupid). As I dug through them I could hear the old man cursing from the great beyond.
I think after polishing the Rcbs s they might cast but the Lyman is dead in it current form. I'm thinking that I might just face the top down past the damage and shorten the bullet down to a open up a lube groove on the lathe to turn it into a 110 gr mold for the 30 carbine. Any suggestions or concerns I need to be aware of? Kind of cranked to try one of the egean molds out, its a 30 AR and is listed as an as cast bore rider for long throats. Any one have any experience with it?

MT Chambers
05-10-2016, 04:00 PM
I have the .30ARdito nose pour and it is one of my "go to" .30 cal molds, mold quality is the best! The MX2 from Eagan is my most accurate .30 cal. mold however.