PDA

View Full Version : Best cast 357 for Hatsan

sutherpride59
05-10-2016, 02:55 AM
So I've been seriously looking at buying a hatsan bt65 In 357. It's quite and it shoots a big bullet that I can cast for so what's not to like. My main concur is are there any cast bullets that it shoots exceptionally well? Obviously they would have to be sized to the actual barrel which would require the barrel being slugged to get the best performance and accuracy. I'm just wondering what cast bullet would work really well though. All the reviews I've seen for it are very good and the accuracy like with most PCPs is great but all the reviews are done with JSB pellets and not cast bullets. I was thinking something like the lee TL356-95-rf would work well. If the size is too small I could always beagle the mold and run the bullets through a sized so they wouldn't be out of round. What do y'all think?

rsterne
05-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Power isn't great for the caliber, so stick to stuff under 100 gr. for sure.... It's really designed as a pellet shooter, and even with those can do with more FPE....

Bob

sutherpride59
05-10-2016, 05:30 PM
I kind of figured that but it's the only muffled one that won't break the bank. I would just really like to cast my own for it, as Grama says though if ifs and butts were candies and nuts the world would be happy.

sutherpride59
05-10-2016, 06:26 PM
So what about something like round ball such as lee "000" buck shot in .360dia. Using pure lead they should end up being a bit smaller. The question the. Is are they accurate?

melloairman
05-10-2016, 11:27 PM
So I've been seriously looking at buying a hatsan bt65 In 357. It's quite and it shoots a big bullet that I can cast for so what's not to like. My main concur is are there any cast bullets that it shoots exceptionally well? Obviously they would have to be sized to the actual barrel which would require the barrel being slugged to get the best performance and accuracy. I'm just wondering what cast bullet would work really well though. All the reviews I've seen for it are very good and the accuracy like with most PCPs is great but all the reviews are done with JSB pellets and not cast bullets. I was thinking something like the lee TL356-95-rf would work well. If the size is too small I could always beagle the mold and run the bullets through a sized so they wouldn't be out of round. What do y'all think?
I never found that bullet or the ones close to it in Lyman or RCBS to be accurate in any of my riffles . The 105 SWC of Lees is good if you think the rifle can handle that weight of bullet . Or the .360 RB as mention previously have been accurate in all my rifles . But mine are all single shot rifles so magazine issues are not present .Marvin

sutherpride59
05-11-2016, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't be too worried if I had to hand load, I just want something I can shoot into a backstop with reasonable accuracy and remelt. I figuered the round balls would be good but I wondered if with the cast bullets that most of the issues encountered stemmed from them being undersized.

Mica_Hiebert
05-11-2016, 12:09 AM
no experience but have had the same pondering as you... i bet hollow base wad cutters would perform well in that rifle.

sutherpride59
05-11-2016, 11:28 AM
I don t know, I'm really starting to wonder if for the money the Benjamin Maurauder may be a better choice. It would seem that the Hatsan BT65 in .357 isn't putting out enough FPE for a humane kill less it be a head shot any way. So why not go with the marauder in .25 lose some energy but have vastly cheaper pellets and another super quite long range air rifle.

ebner glocken
05-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Here's another option. If it were me personally I would be looking for a hatsan bt65 in .25 and QE.

http://www.airgunproshop.com/shop/refurbished-hatsan-galatian-black-syn-qe-25-cal/

Ebner

melloairman
05-11-2016, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't be too worried if I had to hand load, I just want something I can shoot into a backstop with reasonable accuracy and remelt. I figuered the round balls would be good but I wondered if with the cast bullets that most of the issues encountered stemmed from them being undersized.
Not in my case . All were .001-.0015 over groove .Marvin

lathesmith
05-18-2016, 11:11 AM
A friend and I have been searching for a decent cast 357 slug, we've yet to find anything that we're completely happy with. We have tried 'em in several platforms--Careers, a Bulldog, and a Rogue (before it died). We've had reasonably good success with round balls--cast from a Lee buckshot mold--and we've also had surprisingly good results with Speer swaged wad cutters. Of course, the JSB pellets are the gold standard, and cost about what you'd pay for mid-grade 22 RF ammo, which ain't too bad. But we've only gotten mediocre accuracy--at best-- with most cast slugs, and we've tried a bunch of them. The roundballs can sometimes produce 5-shot groups of 3/4" or less at 50 yards, but consistency is a bit of a problem, I suspect because of the slight sprue. Still though, they make cheap plinkers, and do a number on hedge apples! Contrary to what many forum arm-chair experts will tell you, sizing can be very important, and even playing with a light lube, such as Ben's alox, can shrink groups dramatically.

As for a platform, that BT 65 is a HEAVY gun, and is a little light on power for a 357 for my taste. I have a 25 M-rod, I think it's a fantastic platform, not too heavy for the power it produces, and it's light-out accurate with JSP 25's and 34's. It's also very quiet and easily modified, if you are so inclined.

rsterne
05-18-2016, 12:02 PM
With the limited power of the .357 Hatsan, and the success of the EPP-UG design and it's light weight, I would suggest that would be just the ticket....

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-080B-D.png

Bob

lathesmith
05-18-2016, 08:25 PM
We've had decent success with that EPP-UG design in a 45, it would be great to try it in a 357 platform.

sutherpride59
05-21-2016, 05:49 PM
That's what I've pretty much been reading, it doesn't seem like air rifles are the best candidates for cast rounds unless they are pretty high up there on speed. The problem is they are always pretty high up there on sound as well. The reason I started into air rifles was for the lack of said sound for a cheaper price than running a suppressed setup with better accuracy. Like I said it just sounds like I will stick with the marauder in 25cal till something new pops up that spits cast bullets accurately and can be quiet.

rsterne
05-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Perhaps have a look at the American Air Arms Slayer.... accurate, powerful (abut twice the FPE of the Hatsan), and relatively quiet....

Bob