PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 44 US Scope mount found . . .AND MORE

TCLouis
05-10-2016, 01:29 AM
I went to Havlin's site and as I was poking around I saw sight discs for the Mossberg sights. All these years I had never seen a picture with sight disc installed until I got to poking around last week. Well of course there are three different ones depending on your sight. I tried every gun screw I had trying to determine what I needed . . . Hey Dummy look on top of the sight where it attaches to the receiver. The sight model is posted there.

Typed up the order and sent it off Wednesday night.

The order was acknowledged the next day, handled quickly, accurately ( arrived in Friday's mail)and everything in the order went together perfectly today.

Testing with a scope at 50 yards with some random bits of ammo I had accumulated shows some real potential in the ol gal!

5/8 -3/4" OTO for 5 out of some random Aguila made me more than happy, I say random because it was in a little plastic bag and I have no idea other than the big A on the back.

Out of all the bits and pieces of ammo I guess the worst group was 2 inches and I called the errant shot as shooter error.

Will get out a real front rest and start testing ammo I have any appreciable amount of next week.

This gonna be fun.

Guns that show potential are fun to test RF or CF, long gun or short gun.

Mk42gunner
05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I wish Mossberg still made .22 rifles. Every one of them I have ever shot has been accurate, even the plinking grade semi-autos.

They may have made some that weren't good shooters, but I have not ran across any.

Robert

Clark
05-11-2016, 02:03 AM
Two years ago at a Monroe gun show I found a Mossberg 43 with Mossberg 6c scope, just like the 1937 ad.
I saw the "50" I thought it was a Winchester for $500 and I was going to buy it, but it was a Mossberg and they only wanted $50.

BPJONES
05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Wow--a super great deal at $50.00!! I have a number of vintage Mossbergs. They made some very decent full size .22 rifles at one time, many with unique features in their day.

TCLouis
05-11-2016, 09:23 PM
So Clark, I guess you passed over it at such a ridiculous price.
Shame how some folks try to gouge ya at a gun show.

StuBach
05-12-2016, 06:55 AM
Agree with comments on Havlin's site doing good business. Wife started collecting 40s vintage Mossberg 22s (mostly model 42s) some time ago. Fantastic shooters. Her favorite carries a new model BSA Sweet 22 which makes for a great combo (same mount from Havlin I believe).

If you ever have a chance the 46/146 tube fed is a fun gun for me sitting next to a 52d, 52 sporter repo, and an Anshutz in the safe, I still like to grab it over the others from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aspangler
05-12-2016, 10:14 AM
I have a 44 USa with a 6x20 target dot scope. Trigger job to get it to 1 1/2 lbs. Counterbored to the resonant node. barrel lapped. It loves the old Eley blue box club. 3/8 center to center at 50 METERS. Shoots better than I can hold.

Clark
05-12-2016, 03:01 PM
So Clark, I guess you passed over it at such a ridiculous price.
Shame how some folks try to gouge ya at a gun show.

My father refused to buy me a 22 when I was 12 in 1963.
When he died in 2011 I inherited some of his money that he saved and invested after scrimping on my childhood guns.

Since 2011 I have been buying up cheap 22s at gunshows and pawn shops.
If a guy walks into a Pawn shop and buys a $2k gun, the employees do not blink.
But if I buy (3) 22 rifles with an average cost of $100, they all remember me as the old guy staggering out the door with 3 guns.
This one was $75

StuBach
05-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Used to have a friend (passed away last year) who was a gun estate dealer. Every Mossberg he came across since 2009 was offered to me before going to the shows. Sadly that depleted much of my spending money but made for a nice collection. Last one he sold me was a beat to heck 42 for $50 which I completely stripped, cleaned, blued, polished and redid the stock on. Presented it to my mentor at work when he retired as his first gun ever. He has had many comments from people at ranges and local formers alike about how nice it is. May have also smoothed and lightened the trigger for him also.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCLouis
05-13-2016, 12:56 AM
Found the ammo this gun likes, REALLY likes.
I was shooting 5 shot group to post here yesterday and change my grip on the forearm for the 4th shot . . . .DANG it
Went back to original grip and the 5th bullet sailed thru the hole left by the first 3.

OK, so it looks like the gun groups best with the plain ol Aguila ammo that I have the least of.

One good thing, I shot some high dollar stuff that someone gave me in the past and it did POORLY with it.

Now to wait and see if I can find some Aguia that will shoot as well at a price I am willing to pay.

One-Half-Minute of Squirrels head at 50 is my accuracy standard, far below what many require I know, but will cover my needs.

fecmech
05-15-2016, 02:25 PM
My first gun was a Mossberg 142a that my Dad bought at work for $15. I put a Weaver B4 on it and shot the living daylights out of it. Mossberg made terrific .22 rifles with decent adjustable triggers.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Thier web site may not say it but a called about a month ago and they had a new supplier for 44US magazines , only the 7 round but they do come with the screw for shorts

I ordered up 3 and a set of quick disconnect swivels for my 44US-D I was going to get the scope mount also but forgot when I called in the order.

nothing like spending 200 for the gun a few years ago and 200 for 3 mags and a set of sling swivels and an oil sling

but it does shoot very well