PDA

View Full Version : 92 Puma

ohiomadman
05-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Added a third Puma to my collection. I had a table at our clubs spring gun show and we were setting our tables up Friday night. Another member was selling this Puma in 45 colt. I left with it that night. I never knew they made one with a brass receiver. The rifle shoots very good. It has the smoothest action out of the three that I own. I am thinking of getting a rear peep site , the buckhorn site is kinda of hard to see with my old eyes.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/media/002.78702/full?d=1458601603

Edward
05-09-2016, 05:28 PM
My eyes are tired too but even I can see that is a pretty gun ,congrats :lovebooli

gundownunder
05-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Is it a 45 or a 454 Casull?
I ask this because all the Rossi's I've seen other than 454 had the steel butt plate and that one has the rubber recoil pad that comes on the 454.
One of these days I'm going to find some extra money and then I will be looking for a 45 with a 24" oct barrel and a rubber butt so I can use it with Ruger loads for CLAS.

With regard to the rear sight, I have a 1894CL Marlin in 32-20 which I believe originally came with a semi buckhorn. The bloke who owned it before me filed the top flat and then opened the V notch into a bigger square U. This makes the sight similar to a Patridge handgun sight. I find it much easier to see and more accurate to shoot, without messing up the clean lines of the rifle.

ohiomadman
05-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Is it a 45 or a 454 Casull?
I ask this because all the Rossi's I've seen other than 454 had the steel butt plate and that one has the rubber recoil pad that comes on the 454.
One of these days I'm going to find some extra money and then I will be looking for a 45 with a 24" oct barrel and a rubber butt so I can use it with Ruger loads for CLAS.

With regard to the rear sight, I have a 1894CL Marlin in 32-20 which I believe originally came with a semi buckhorn. The bloke who owned it before me filed the top flat and then opened the V notch into a bigger square U. This makes the sight similar to a Patridge handgun sight. I find it much easier to see and more accurate to shoot, without messing up the clean lines of the rifle.

It`s a 45. I thought it had a brass butt plate original and the rubber pad was put on at some time. I haven`t been able to find much info on a brass one, so I could be wrong. It has a 24 inch octagon barrel on it. It was imported by LSI.

runfiverun
05-09-2016, 11:10 PM
if it has the leaping puma on the side in a big circle it's a gen-1 original import. [70's-80's]
navy arms imported their parts and put them together into the early/mid 90's
if it's shiny straight brass it's after navy arms.
now if the barrel is 20" it's a short rifle and they just bolted the recoil pad on the flat stock.
if it's 24" they cut the stock off and put it there.

pietro
05-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Due to the brass receiver, you'd be well advised to stick to mild or factory loads.

ohiomadman
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
if it has the leaping puma on the side in a big circle it's a gen-1 original import. [70's-80's]
navy arms imported their parts and put them together into the early/mid 90's
if it's shiny straight brass it's after navy arms.
now if the barrel is 20" it's a short rifle and they just bolted the recoil pad on the flat stock.
if it's 24" they cut the stock off and put it there.

Yep, it`s a 24" and it looks like they cut the stock. I didn`t think of that until you said that.
Here is a pic of it next to my 44mag with a 20" octo barrel.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/media/011.78703/full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1458601756

ohiomadman
05-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Due to the brass receiver, you'd be well advised to stick to mild or factory loads.

Yes, I read somewhere that hot loads could stretch the brass. I`ve got the 44mag that loves those hot loads.

John Boy
05-10-2016, 04:31 PM
I never knew they made one with a brass receiver.A Rossi (24") & LSI (20") with brass receivers. All my levers have brass receivers: '60 - '66 - '92 and '94 - all 45LC