PDA

View Full Version : Latest Handloader Magazine - interesting

dudel
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
The current issue of Handloader (#302 June 2016) includes a full reprint of Handloader #1 May-June 1966. Some interesting ads and stories from the time. Ads from Alcan, Savage Reloading, Pacific, Texan and others long gone. Interesting story on Bob Deitemeyer of Pacific Gun Sight, and the relationship with Bair Machine shop.

A good read.

gwpercle
05-09-2016, 04:18 PM
I found it interesting that several companies that advertised in that first issue are still around today, many still advertising in #302 . When I get through reading it I'm going to make a "then and now" list.
Reading that #1 issue is like taking a trip in Mr. Peabody's "way-back" machine.
I'm glad they reprinted it. I discovered Handloader with issue #42 , March - April 1973. Back then , that was about the only up to date, latest source of reloading info. You had to mail off for a catalog or loading guide...no net back then.
Gary
Being a pack-rat...I still have issue #42 and just all but a very few the rest.

Nueces
05-09-2016, 05:04 PM
I bet a lot of the current gunzines would do well to begin reprinting their old issues. :mrgreen:

hornetman
05-09-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm a charter subscriber to Handloader and Rifle. I have all the issues of both mags from Issue # 1. The old ones are a valuable resource and I find myself looking up something quite often.

robg
05-09-2016, 05:48 PM
I subscribe to both rifle and handloader 15years now best mags out there.this months issue is a cracker with the reprint.

376Steyr
05-09-2016, 05:54 PM
I was struck by how relatively expensive some of the items advertised were. $13.50 for a set of loading dies doesn't sound like much now, but convert that into gallons of gas at 25 cents a gallon, and convert that to current gas prices, and then appreciate what a bargain a set of dies is today.

AbitNutz
05-09-2016, 07:42 PM
That's very true. You wouldn't think that would be the case. You can see that in electronics but not so much in something that could be considered classic manufacturing...and all in the United States. I don't think any reloading dies are imported...no? The methods of manufacture are much more efficient and require far less labor? Do you turn loose a CNC machine and walk away? Are the number of dies being produced much greater now? There are far more people reloading today I would think. Are materials less expensive? I thought steel cost a lot more today.

Kevin Rohrer
05-09-2016, 08:46 PM
I also have all Handloaders from #1 on and wish the magazine of today was as good as the early issues.

alamogunr
05-09-2016, 08:58 PM
I discovered Handloader about 15 years ago. Shortly after that I embarked on a quest to get all the back issues. Accomplished that in about 5 years. I'm sure I overpaid for some but got most fairly priced. I still get them out and read them.

Somebody will probably get a bargain when I'm gone unless one of the son's develops and interest.

Green Frog
05-10-2016, 11:39 AM
I also have all Handloaders from #1 on and wish the magazine of today was as good as the early issues.

+1 to that! I read the old ones to remind me how good the mag used to be, but am seldom tempted to buy the current "mass market" issues that seem to be "dumbed down" an awful lot. :(

Froggie

dakota
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Dad had all the issues when he died. Mom burned them. I don't remember when I started.

W.R.Buchanan
05-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I was particularly interested in the Basic Handloading/Portable Reloading Tool article, since I am currently involved in making tools to do just that.

The article was long a drawn out, but it covered most every tool available at the time in detail. I love tools (Toolmaker, duh?) and seeing all the old designs was cool.

There was one mention somewhere in one of the articles of a guy and his kids having loaded like 22,000 + rounds of ammo with their Lee Loaders. That's determination! I had loaded maybe 500 by the time I got my Rockchucker and never looked back until recently.

Now I'm starting to evolve back to basics.

Funny how we all eventually come full circle,,, huh?

I think this issue could be one of the best ever.

Randy

dudel
05-10-2016, 02:55 PM
I was particularly interested in the Basic Handloading/Portable Reloading Tool article, since I am currently involved in making tools to do just that.

The article was long a drawn out, but it covered most every tool available at the time in detail. I love tools (Toolmaker, duh?) and seeing all the old designs was cool.

There was one mention somewhere in one of the articles of a guy and his kids having loaded like 22,000 + rounds of ammo with their Lee Loaders. That's determination! I had loaded maybe 500 by the time I got my Rockchucker and never looked back until recently.

Now I'm starting to evolve back to basics.

Funny how we all eventually come full circle,,, huh?

I think this issue could be one of the best ever.

Randy

Thought of you when I saw that article Randy. Now how about that Pak-Tool and Pak-Measure?

Kevin Rohrer
05-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Dad had all the issues when he died. Mom burned them. I don't remember when I started.

Sacrilege! Blastphermer!! :killingpc

quack1
05-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I had all the issues until a Lab puppy got to 3 of them some years ago. A buddy had borrowed them, and returned them when I was at work. My wife set them on the coffee table, so I'd be sure to see them when I came home. Later she got distracted in the kitchen for a few minutes, and that's all it took for Lightning to shred them. Odd, too, those magazines were the only thing he ever chewed up in his life. Have been watching at gun shows ever since, but haven't found those 3 issues.

TenTea
05-11-2016, 01:03 PM
That's very true. You wouldn't think that would be the case. You can see that in electronics but not so much in something that could be considered classic manufacturing...and all in the United States. I don't think any reloading dies are imported...no? The methods of manufacture are much more efficient and require far less labor? Do you turn loose a CNC machine and walk away? Are the number of dies being produced much greater now? There are far more people reloading today I would think. Are materials less expensive? I thought steel cost a lot more today.

U.S. population was 196.6 million (1966)

The U.S. entered 2016 with an estimated population of 322,762,018

These facts are often overlooked when we fire up the way back machine and compare to modern times.

therealhitman
05-11-2016, 02:16 PM
+1 to that! I read the old ones to remind me how good the mag used to be, but am seldom tempted to buy the current "mass market" issues that seem to be "dumbed down" an awful lot. :(

Froggie

Absolutely. Like all modern magazines Handloader is one long series of advertisements and thinly veiled paid endorsements. I still buy it more often than not.

tstowater
05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
My seventeen year old was pretty excited when he opened #302 with the #1 reprinted. He was at a gun auction recently and came home with a big stack of Handloader. Boy, was his mom happy about that.

Probably one of the few kids with a high appreciation for loading... He doesn't care if rifle, shotgun or handgun, just give him something to go bang. Spending more time on the shotgun loader now that his 15 year old sister found out that she really likes trapshooting. Bag of shot doesn't last very long. That's okay as there are a lot worse things that they could be doing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk