PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR out of a .22 Mag.

dtknowles
05-08-2016, 06:48 PM
I can't recommend the following as safe so be careful if you try this. I had done this in the past but now I have pictures to share. I test fired this just twice from my Ruger Single Six.

I cut the head off a spent .22 Mag. using a motor tool and cut off disk.

Clean the inside with a brush, expand the ends with the tapered rod and chamfer and deburr

Press the .22 LR into the .22 Mag. case

There it is ready to fire.

The only problem I had was it was hard to get the .22 LR empty out of the .22 Mag. I put needlenose in the open end and grabbed the rim with pliers and pulled them apart but that distorted the .22 mag and I had to use the tapered rod to round out the mouth again.

A note: I pushed the .22 LR into what was the mouth of the .22 Mag. so the head end of the .22 Mag. becomes the mouth of the case. The brass might be a bit thicker on the head end or it is less expanded as I could not push the .22 LR into the head end without it shaving the bullet.

Tim

odfairfaxsub
05-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Lol if there's a will there's a way. Good job

Artful
05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
I guess I don't get the point Tim? Did doing this give you good groups?
I grant you that it is cleaver and inexpensive solution to centering your 22 LR to you 22 WMR bore.
Now that 22LR isn't really cheap anymore why waste it?

- the 22LR at bullet is still smaller than the bore or 22 mag.
Typically 22 LR .217 (5.51) Bore Dia with .222 (5.64) Groove Dia . . . while the bullet diameter is listed as .2255 inches
and Typically 22 WMR uses a .224" groove diameter and .219" bore diameter - and accuracy is less than stellar from what I've seen.

Traffer
05-09-2016, 12:10 PM
A great idea, as 22Mags are so hard to find. Too bad it's also hard to find 22Mag empty cases. Gives me an idea though to just roll some of the correct thickness copper or brass sheet around a LR to make the "fit compensator".

dtknowles
05-09-2016, 12:18 PM
I guess I don't get the point Tim? Did doing this give you good groups?
I grant you that it is cleaver and inexpensive solution to centering your 22 LR to you 22 WMR bore.
Now that 22LR isn't really cheap anymore why waste it?

- the 22LR at bullet is still smaller than the bore or 22 mag.
Typically 22 LR .217 (5.51) Bore Dia with .222 (5.64) Groove Dia . . . while the bullet diameter is listed as .2255 inches
and Typically 22 WMR uses a .224" groove diameter and .219" bore diameter - and accuracy is less than stellar from what I've seen.

This is good data to help guide people in considering something like this, thanks.

Some people are having more trouble finding .22 WMR than .22 LR. It would let them shoot their .22 WMR if they wanted but could not find ammo. The only .22 WMR I own is my Single Six convertible. It does shoot better with the .22 WMR in the .22 WMR cylinder than it does with the .22 LR cylinder. I have no reason to do this but I was aware of the idea, not sure I originated it or if I stole it from someone else. I have not slugged the bore on my single six and have not measured the bullets on any .22 LR. ammo.

Tim

Artful
05-09-2016, 11:44 PM
As I remember Ruger changed the bore on the Single Six once they started selling it as a convertible, so all the newer ones seem to shoot better groups with 22 WMR in my experience. Older ones did better with 22LR - it's funny here in Phoenix it's easy (not cheap, but never was) to find 22 WMR in stores.

dtknowles
05-10-2016, 10:55 AM
As I remember Ruger changed the bore on the Single Six once they started selling it as a convertible, so all the newer ones seem to shoot better groups with 22 WMR in my experience. Older ones did better with 22LR - it's funny here in Phoenix it's easy (not cheap, but never was) to find 22 WMR in stores.

Thanks Artful.

I checked for .22 WMR at one shop yesterday and they did not have any. I have some on the shelf and I don't shoot the Single Six much, beside the test last weekend I don't think I had shot it in over a year, maybe two. When I chrono'd .22 WMR out of it I was disappointed in the velocity, the typical 40 grain stuff only sometimes broke 1400 fps (6.5 in. barrel), I could get an honest 1100 fps with Aguila Interceptor 40 grain .22LR. 300 FPS is a big difference but not as big as you get with a rifle.

not trying to make a point just sharing info.

Tim

Artful
05-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Was in the interceptor chrono'd thru the cut off 22 WMR system or just out of the 22LR cylinder? Might be an interesting experiment to compare the two ways?

dtknowles
05-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Was in the interceptor chrono'd thru the cut off 22 WMR system or just out of the 22LR cylinder? Might be an interesting experiment to compare the two ways?

It was from the 22 LR cylinder. I have not be hauling the chrono to the range much as I have been working on my off hand skills. I have not fired but maybe half a dozen rounds out of a cut off .22 Mag as proof of concept. It was just an experiment to see if it might work. I don't even remember where the idea originated but I did it the first time more than 5 years ago and just did it again last weekend to make the photo's to share.

Tim

Mk42gunner
05-11-2016, 12:08 AM
To me the whole point of a .22 Magnum revolver is you are able to equal, and maybe exceed, .22 LR ballistics from a rifle with a handgun. Other than that, they never made much sense to me.

One good thing about using the cut off magnum cases as sleeves is you may prevent the .22 LR case from rupturing when it is fired in a magnum chamber. Yes it will normally fire without the sleeve. No idea how unsafe it is, but I have seen it done a few times.

Robert

dtknowles
05-11-2016, 09:38 AM
To me the whole point of a .22 Magnum revolver is you are able to equal, and maybe exceed, .22 LR ballistics from a rifle with a handgun. Other than that, they never made much sense to me.

One good thing about using the cut off magnum cases as sleeves is you may prevent the .22 LR case from rupturing when it is fired in a magnum chamber. Yes it will normally fire without the sleeve. No idea how unsafe it is, but I have seen it done a few times.

Robert

It also helps prevent lead build up at the chamber mouth and keeps the bullet centered as it enters the throat.

Tim

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2016, 06:49 AM
your thinking. Ill give you that!

dtknowles
05-12-2016, 11:13 AM
your thinking. Ill give you that!

Thanks Lloyd, I like to think of myself as a innovator and inventor. I don't hold any patents but I have developed innovations for the companies I work for. I think I was the first person to use sabots in a 7.62x25 and exceeded 2000 fps in a normal sized semi-auto pistol. I converted a CZ-52 to 9x23 and then to 9x25. I have a Dan Wesson Model 15 that shoots both .357 mag and 32-20 and I have a .22 barrel I have been testing some ideas with. I have one idea I will give away here as I am not ready to pursue it but would be interested in seeing developed as curiosity. A Desert Eagle in .50AE necked down to .357 or maybe .40. The .357 would be pretty easy, use the .50 frame and slide and a .357 barrel rechambered

Tim

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Tim there was a company years ago that made sabots for the 500 linebaugh that let a guy shoot 44 cal bullets. I played with them some but never really found any accuracy to speak of.
Thanks Lloyd, I like to think of myself as a innovator and inventor. I don't hold any patents but I have developed innovations for the companies I work for. I think I was the first person to use sabots in a 7.62x25 and exceeded 2000 fps in a normal sized semi-auto pistol. I converted a CZ-52 to 9x23 and then to 9x25. I have a Dan Wesson Model 15 that shoots both .357 mag and 32-20 and I have a .22 barrel I have been testing some ideas with. I have one idea I will give away here as I am not ready to pursue it but would be interested in seeing developed as curiosity. A Desert Eagle in .50AE necked down to .357 or maybe .40. The .357 would be pretty easy, use the .50 frame and slide and a .357 barrel rechambered

Tim

dtknowles
05-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Tim there was a company years ago that made sabots for the 500 linebaugh that let a guy shoot 44 cal bullets. I played with them some but never really found any accuracy to speak of.

I have played a bit with the 30 cal. sabots and they were never as accurate as I hoped. Sabots in the 7.62x25 were about as accurate as mil surp. ball ammo, not impressed. Anything I want to shoot with a .22 dia bullet is usually small so more accuracy is required. Sabots in the 30-06 are quite impressive regarding velocity but again accuracy was not as good as my best handloads, still good for coyotes with a lot less recoil than even 125 gr. bullets and better accuracy and range than 110 gr. bullets.

Tim

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2016, 05:35 PM
I had a pretty good variety of them in different calibers. The guy that made them for the 50s sent me a care package once with all kinds of them. Like I said I never had stellar luck with them. Had the big fire and lost my loading gear and they went with it and it never fooled with them again.