PDA

View Full Version : Question about once fired 357 brass

toallmy
05-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Is there any reason not to buy federal .357 mag brass . For several months I have been using starline and love it. I am going to order some 45acp win brass Monday , and the seller has some fed 357 brass as well I can combine shipping . But if it's not good brass I would rather pass . Flash hole , brittle , hard to size , and longevity , such as these problems . I'm not sure wear to post brass questions , so here it goes .

Mica_Hiebert
05-08-2016, 08:57 AM
I have no problems with federal but I will load any thing I get my hands on... my biggest concern buying "once fired" brass is the question does once mean 1 time or once apon a time it was fired then reloaded a bunch of times...

Fishman
05-08-2016, 09:03 AM
I've loaded a bit of federal brass in .357 and .32 mag with satisfaction. But with starline selling new brass in 1000 case lots for under .14 each, shipping included, it would have to be cheap for me to buy once fired.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/order-online/caliber.cfm/caliber/357/

toallmy
05-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Yes I considered ordering a few more starline when I noticed the seller that I was ordering some 45 brass from had 500 fed for 50. And I could combine shipping . But I would rather have a decent brass rather than a lot of brass .

Pine Baron
05-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I'm with Mica on this one. I also grab whatever I can, but I don't load hot. I do inspect each one at deprime and look for signs of stress.

NSB
05-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Nothing wrong with Federal brass....nothing. Shooting it out of a handgun, and being a straight walled case, the only problem you're likely to have is that you'll be shooting it years from now.

Mica_Hiebert
05-08-2016, 09:42 AM
$50 for 500 I'd be on it. About half the price of new starline. Plus with combined shipping it's a win win.

toallmy
05-08-2016, 09:45 AM
I suppose I'll have to find out , I find it hard to believe a six gun reloader would drop brass on the floor at a indoor range instead of in a bucket . Hehehe that's one of the nice things about a revolver . The price is 80 for starlight, verses 50 for fed and the shipping of course . I may live to regret it but I'm going to use it for light WC loads.

Mica_Hiebert
05-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Doubt you'll regret it... at 10 cents per brass and 3 cent primer, 3 cent bullet and 2 cent powder I challenge you to find 18 cent factory loads... you can always haggle the guy and tell him you'd prefer to pay half the cost of new starline.

mdi
05-08-2016, 11:54 AM
"Once fired brass" at one time was mostly military from military ranges. With the abundance of "once fired" brass available today, in many "civilian" calibers, one can only consider it "used", fired an unknown amount of times. Personally I have prolly purchased several thousand "once fired" cases and can't remember more than a half dozen un-usable cases. Actually I've seen more steel cases or berdan primed cases than junk brass (99.5% good usable brass). Of course the first action taken when I get used brass is a good visual inspection...

Overall satisfaction with "once fired" brass purchases; very good to excellent.

toallmy
05-08-2016, 04:44 PM
I have purchased brass from this person in the past a few times , and was well satisfied . Not many vendors want to separate by head stamp . I was just wondering about fed brass , I put in my order for the brass and the vendor through in 100 45s with small primer pocket to play with as well .