PDA

View Full Version : ?dumb question re: pc handgun boolits

dogmower
05-07-2016, 09:42 PM
toying with the idea of tumbling/shaking to apply pc to my handgun boolits (spray coating them now).
question is - how do you guys transfer/handle them to the baking tray without knocking/rubbing off the pc? I have seen where some guys pour them into a wire basket and shake off the excess, but I worry the wire would leave marks/high spots, and eventually the pc would build up and clog the openings altogether.
appreciate help on this one
John

WMB30
05-07-2016, 11:48 PM
I use a blue Nitrile glove, works fine.

Bill

noisewaterphd
05-07-2016, 11:54 PM
I use a blue Nitrile glove, works fine.

Same here.

Some folks use hemostats, tweezers, needle nose, etc.

Walter Laich
05-08-2016, 08:49 AM
hemostats--goes quickly and good way to relax the mind. Retired so have the time to spend an hour or two getting 400 or more done (if I'm slow)

DerekP Houston
05-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I bought a pack of the blue disposable gloves and dip my fingers in excess powder before I touch em. I used pliers at first.

Don Fischer
05-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I use a surgical clamp that's purpose is to pull quills from my dog's when need be. There a small hook on the end and they don't rub powder off. But before setting them on the oven plate, I bump the clamp on the side of the bowl and lose powder falls off. I haven't been doing powder coating to long and wonder just how much more effective it is over reg lube? Awful slow process but the bullet's do look nice!

OS OK
05-08-2016, 10:23 AM

This takes even more time, so lets get that inane comment out of the way up front…I dump the whole mess in this tray, give it a gentle side to side shake so they will roll out separate and tap the excess off before placing them on parchment. I think that the coverage will speak for itself.

OS OK

jimb16
05-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Nitrile gloves pre-coated with the PC. Works for me. I've also found that most times you can touch a thin spot on the bullet with a coats finger and the powder transfers from the glove to the thin spot.

pergoman
05-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Oh wow. Some guys must be willing to spend a whole lot more time on handgun boolits than me. I put 100-150 in a 1 quart yogurt container, add about 1 tsp of powder, shake/swirl vigorously for 30 seconds, and take a peek. If they are not completely fuzzy looking, I add a little more powder and swirl some more. I dump them into a plastic colander then spill them onto baking trays covered with NSAF. The colander lets any excess pass through into a pan to be used on the next batch. Some excess powder ends up on the NSAF but doesn't seem to cause any problems. The sizer smooths out any irregularities. The boolits shoot as well as anyone needs them to shoot unless they are a high master class bullseye shooter using a gun that is capable of extreme accuracy.
Now, a little about me and what I consider to be acceptable handgun accuracy. I shoot handguns 3-6 days a week. I usually shoot 500-1000 rounds per week in the summer. The last few weeks I have shot competitions in speed steel (like steel challenge)250-300 rounds in a match in 2 gun classes, PPC (our club only shoots out to 25 yards in a 600 match) where I carry about a 594 average in stock auto and revolver classes and a 596 average in open auto class, Falling steel matches such as the PSA Shootout (about 800 rounds for 4 gun classes), and outdoor bullseye at 25 yards where I am an "expert". I also won the "woods walk" silhouette match with my boolits. I demand accuracy that is at least as good as I can shoot. The PC'd boolits that I make this fast and easy way and the guns I use all group under 1.5" at 25 yards off the bags for 10 shots. Not all guns are capable of that. In fact, very few moderately priced guns are capable of that. I was at the range 3 times today testing loads. It is less than 1/2 mile door to door and I love playing.
Other things I do wrong include mixing PC colors to get flavors I like. I even mix Smoke's great pc powders with HF red.

pergoman
05-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Some colors cover better than others but they all seem to shoot just fine. They all pass the smash test, too.