PDA

View Full Version : I'm building a 10mm 1911

Ithaca Gunner
05-07-2016, 06:14 AM
I just received a 1911 416r stainless frame cut for Para/Clark ramped barrel and it's pretty much decided, a 10mm it shall be. I have six 1911/Commanders in .45ACP and have been thinking of something a little different, but didn't want to build a 10mm without a ramped barrel.

Tatume
05-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Jolly good. Tell us more as the project progresses.

str8wal
05-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.

Ithaca Gunner
05-07-2016, 04:11 PM
So far all I have is the frame. I have two other builds under way, but when the frame cut for Para/Clark ramped barrel came up I had to grab it.

Now for the first snag in this build already, I can't find a 10mm Para/Clark ramped barrel in either 4.25, or 5".

Mk42gunner
05-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Do they make one in .40 S&W? If so you are only a chamber reamer away from a 10mm.

I have not looked for ramped barrels in more than a decade, so I am not sure what is available now.

The 10mm in a 1911 format is pretty potent. With the right projectile, I would not be alarmed if it was the only thing I had to hunt deer with.

Robert

Valley-Shooter
05-07-2016, 09:12 PM
http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/PageIndex/1/Default.aspx?filter=22%2C16%2C25%2C8%2C5

These guys make good barrels. You might already have one, they sell to a lot of builders and manufactures. I have one in my Stayer Voigt 2011.

Ithaca Gunner
05-08-2016, 08:33 AM
http://www.schuemann.com/OnlineCatalog/SchuemannCatalog/tabid/91/c/barrels/PageIndex/1/Default.aspx?filter=22%2C16%2C25%2C8%2C5

These guys make good barrels. You might already have one, they sell to a lot of builders and manufactures. I have one in my Stayer Voigt 2011.

Here's what I've found so far on barrels, seems the upper crust of manufacturers make Para/Clark ramped barrels almost exclusively where the mid range manufacturers tend to stay with The Wilson/Nowlin type. Of course there's some over-lap, but that's just the way I'm seeing it so far. Anyway Monday I plan on getting on the phone with some and getting my barrel ordered, (looks like a 6 week wait is normal unless they happen to have one in stock). Slides are not so much a problem, plenty of choices with .40 breach faces. Just gotta decide on sights and serration configuration.

Mk42gunner, I agree. The 10mm should bring down deer and stop about any pig that cross's it's sights...and do it in a standard full size package. There are more powerful cartridges for self loading pistols, but the price is a "handgun" that weighs almost as much as a carbine. My brother had a Wildey in .45 Winchester mag, the thing was so heavy and unbalanced that I would prefer a Winchester 1892/1894 to it any day. I've dragged a few deer out with an 1894 shoved in my belt like a pistol!

Crank
05-08-2016, 10:35 AM
As an aside to your barrel question. One tidbit I recommend for a 10mm build is to incorporate a square bottomed firing pin plate and a full power hammer spring. It may seem like an inconsequential thing, but it will increase the dwell time (period in a locked position) and allow you to run a slightly lighter spring to avoid battering the gun as it returns to battery. The earliest 1911's came with these, but it was changed to a radius to ease racking the slide when the hammer was down. It works by lowering the fulcrum point on the hammer and that additional delay as the slide tries to pry the hammer back really helps. I did this on my 6" that I built with a Fusion frame/slide and a Bar-sto barrel and brass ejection is smooth and consistent (doesn't head for the next county).

Mark

Ithaca Gunner
05-08-2016, 03:53 PM
You're right Mark, I have several square bottom firing pin stops in inventory as well as a 23lb mainspring. Also, a heavier than normal firing pin spring and a fire dragon recoil system, (dual spring, self buffering guide rod). Like you, I'll probably use a Fusion slide, but that's undetermined right now. I want everything stainless with the exception of the sights, which will be fixed, but of a good smooth no snag profile yet easy to pick up quickly and aim with.

DougGuy
05-09-2016, 01:04 AM
I loved the old Robar rounded off rear sight they used to use on some of the Detonics models. Can't get those anymore but the Harrison rear is REALLY close, but serrated and have the choice of a square groove or a rounded bottom "U" groove. I have this one on a Commander and it works very well. I paired it with a Maryland Gun Works stake on front sight, those might be discontinued but you can find them on fleabay. Midway link included so you could see what it looks like. Easy to install, works very well.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-003-retro-rear-sight

MGW front sight:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/330322/maryland-gun-works-front-sight-1911-stake-on-narrow-tenon-improved-ramp-195-height-121-width-steel-blue

Greg S
05-09-2016, 01:23 AM
As Crank said and go with a S70 style slide due to the additional hammer friction wearing out the thin wall on the S80 style slides. Been thinking about a 10mm Government or long slide build mylself but I've got 3 waiting and one I'll have to send out for machining as I just don't have the time. Enjoy the build. Check out Barstow, their turn around time should have improved since their move.

Silverboolit
05-09-2016, 09:27 AM
You may try Armscor for the barrel. They have a lot of parts in their online catalogue.

Ithaca Gunner
05-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I loved the old Robar rounded off rear sight they used to use on some of the Detonics models. Can't get those anymore but the Harrison rear is REALLY close, but serrated and have the choice of a square groove or a rounded bottom "U" groove. I have this one on a Commander and it works very well. I paired it with a Maryland Gun Works stake on front sight, those might be discontinued but you can find them on fleabay. Midway link included so you could see what it looks like. Easy to install, works very well.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-003-retro-rear-sight

MGW front sight:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/330322/maryland-gun-works-front-sight-1911-stake-on-narrow-tenon-improved-ramp-195-height-121-width-steel-blue

Thanks for those links, nice simple fool proof sights there.

Ithaca Gunner
05-09-2016, 10:48 AM
As Crank said and go with a S70 style slide due to the additional hammer friction wearing out the thin wall on the S80 style slides. Been thinking about a 10mm Government or long slide build mylself but I've got 3 waiting and one I'll have to send out for machining as I just don't have the time. Enjoy the build. Check out Barstow, their turn around time should have improved since their move.

I have two full size .45's to finish before I start on the 10, but had to get the frame while it was available. No rush on getting parts for this one.

Silverboolit, I took a look on Armscor site, all they have at this time is a Commander length bull barrel in stock. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DougGuy
05-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Have you tried Kart for a barrel? Here is their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/Kart-Precision-Barrel-Corp-134814713235576/

Ithaca Gunner
05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
All they list is .40S&W in a 5" Para/Clark ramp. I'd hate to buy a reamer for just one barrel.

DougGuy
05-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Call them and ask them they can make whatever you want.