PDA

View Full Version : powder measures?

barnabus
05-06-2016, 03:04 PM
is there really a $250 difference between a Neil Jones and Harrel measure. been trying to decide between the two fo BR work at the range.

salpal48
05-06-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't Know any bench rest Shooter That uses a PM. All I know only Use a High expense Beam scale. . Pm will never compare to a Ohaus 314 or Dial O grain. . Rcbs 1010.. Precision Is the Key. Pm are Very close But no Cigar

bstone5
05-06-2016, 04:16 PM
I have a Niel Jones use it for all powder measuring, have had it for over 20 years.
The Niel Jones is a very well made powder measure, I always include the Jones Number on my labels that go on the boxes of loaded ammunitation.
Most bench rest shooters now use one of the electonic powder measures to get exactly the same weight each time.
They bring the electronic powder measure and a battery to power the device at the shooting range.
That is what i have seen at my rifle range with the bench rest shooters in todays time period.

M-Tecs
05-06-2016, 04:31 PM
I have Harrell's. A buddy has a Jones. Both are very nice but neither one is a significant improve over run of the mill measures except the clicks are more repeatable.

Just my opinion but low cost battery powered electronic scales have made the high dollar measure obsolete.

country gent
05-06-2016, 05:09 PM
I have 2 harrels in diffrent sizes, have never used a Niel Jones measure. My harrels are very smooth in operation and very accurate. I have used an AMT auto scales, and the RCBS Charge master ( mines the early version with seperate scales. These I found slow and susceptable to air currents. I perfer to use the Harrels more so with larger batches of ammo. I like the repetable clicks, I write the number open in my loading manual and in my notes and can repeat the setting easily. I also pefer the removeable bottles of the Harrels as emptying the charge masters hopper a bigger issue. Its just not as quick and easy. I have the bottle adapter formy harrels unclamp measure flip upside down andwork handle a few time unscrew bottle and cap. done quicker than I typed it. Alot depends on what you want to accomplish with the measure and how

barnabus
05-06-2016, 06:56 PM
at our club several guys load at the bench when shooting their BR pistols and rifles seem to shoot well. I'm loading at home and then driving but it would be nice to do load development there especially since I'm shooting a 30br pistol

country gent
05-06-2016, 08:04 PM
I work up loads at the bench occasionally. My wife and I worked together at it. She loaded I shot. We took a batch of primed cases from the batch for the season. She loaded in increments while I shot them. We took a press dies powder measure ussually the harrels standard powders,scales.and bullets.We would find the acceptable load then load some more and both shoot them to ensure both were happy.She liked the harres measure better than others due to the repeatable consistant click adjustments.

marlinman93
05-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I just purchased a Harrell's BR powder measure from my friend's estate, and I'm new to the high end measures. I have all sorts of RCBS, Ideal, Lyman, etc. powder measures, and have always found them to be very accurate. But the Harrell's big plus to me is the repeatability of the measure! Being able to record how many clicks for my various favorite loads, and simply dial it in, is a huge time saver! Even for times when I check the weight of each charge, the Harrell's puts me back exactly where I was the last time!
A huge step up from my old powder measures! ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/marlinguy/DSCF4887.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/marlinguy/media/DSCF4887.jpg.html)

finattic
05-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I shot benchrest for several years before Harrell started making his. the majority of what you would see at a nbrsa match was a lyman 55 with a culver conversion performed to it,, or a redding br 3 or br 30 cant remember which one.. shooting nbrsa group matches using 6ppc and 332 or 2015 powder you could not ask for it to be better. granted they do not perform quite as well with the Lincoln log powders but most of them have now been changed to short cut and work. When load developing I too the powder and scales at home and wrote down the number on the dial from min to max charge and then went at it.. most of the time I found out unless you had a way to hide your scales from the wind they were useless. you can possibly find a lyman that has been converted and save a lot of money.