PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 3 cavity for .458

original
05-06-2016, 01:36 PM
I was getting ready to order a 350grain mold for my 458 socom and got stumped on the order form when it came to cavity number and block size. I have used lee 2 cavity and they were not bad to deal with but was thinking the 4 might be a bit heavy and make an enjoyable hobbie like work. So I thought maybe the 3 cavity might be a good middle ground. What would the pros and cons between 2 and 3 cavity besides one more bullet. Also on the accurate web site they offer 2 sizes of mold block for each of the 2 or 3 cavity. Is the larger chunk of alluminum better or does it retain too much heat. thanks again.

GWM
05-06-2016, 04:28 PM
I like the 3 cavity and the smaller block. It is a good compromise between cooling time, weight, feel and production.
I also like the sprue plate with a trough. It makes for a better pool of lead on top that stays together.

gwpercle
05-06-2016, 06:33 PM
I ladle - pressure cast , I prefer a 3 cavity mould , surprisingly more production than a double but not as tiring as ladle casting with a 4 cavity. If you pressure cast , the smaller blocks would be less tiring.
I'm 60+ and stuff like that makes a difference now days .
I don't have an Accurate mould , only NOE 3 cavity and 4 cavity aluminum moulds, they are more than twice the size (maybe 3 or 4 times) larger than Lee's. The bigger aluminum blocks do not retain too much heat , it's just not a problem ...Lee's NEED to be larger!
Gary

quietmike
05-06-2016, 06:37 PM
I've got a 5 cavity so my vote would be for the 3.

dkf
05-06-2016, 11:11 PM
I just bought a 350VG and 405VG mold from Accurate for my socom. I got the 2 cavity with 2.35" aluminum blocks. I like to cast fast and I find the extra meat in the mold blocks helps when casting fast. I didn't get the sprue plate with the trough but found due to the size of the bullets it could use the extra sprue puddle due to shrinkage. So I milled in a trough with a 1/2" ball endmill, works better now. I also have a 3 cavit alum with 2.9" blocks with all 3 cavities 147gr .360" bullets. It casts well too.

original
05-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the input. Yes, the 5 cavity sounds painful. I went with the 3 cavity larger block. It seems the pressure casting works better for me so I went for the non trough. thanks again.

original
05-09-2016, 12:42 AM
DKF, how did the 350nv work out for you? Do they cycle in an ar15 or are you shooting it through a bolt gun?

dkf
05-09-2016, 04:08 PM
DKF, how did the 350nv work out for you? Do they cycle in an ar15 or are you shooting it through a bolt gun?

I didn't get to shoot any yet, have not had time with work. I have an AR15. Over on the .458socom forum they use the 525gr piledriver from beartooth in the AR15 and they feed fine. The piledriver and the 350 and 405 VG bullets have almost identical noses.

country gent
05-09-2016, 09:32 PM
If you want real production buy 2 2 cavity moulds in the bullet you want. cast with both filling one and setting down filling the other then cut sprue and drop refill first set. This utilizes the cooling time of the moulds into casting time. If you want to segrgate bullets by mould or cavity mark the noses with a simple light stamp mark ( blank, +, 0, *, H, # I perfer "balanced" marks) this allows sorting when sizing or weighing of the bullets by mould or cavity. This simple technique will wear you out as your constantly moving, not real wait times since while one is cooling your filling the other. I do this with my 38 and 40 and 45 cal bullets I cast 2 diffrent calibers at a time or to visually diffrent styles at a time. Even with 2 single cavity moulds production jumps considerably.